Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling compared to walking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling compared to walking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 08:22 AM
beng1
Banned

Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I make a point to regularly go for walks to run small errands and visit neighbors, and of course I push a lawnmower around too. Mostly over the last 6 months I have been riding a single-speed road-bike so when I come to some of the steep hills on my routes that are maybe 5% and steeper, I just jump off, relax and walk the bike up the hills. The heart-rate walking a bike up a steep hill stays the same as it was riding at a good clip on the more level sections so it is a better training technique than riding up a steep grade and jumping into zone-3.
Old 05-07-23, 09:53 AM
Steel Charlie

Liked 608 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Walking is great when it turns into a hike.

Tried the roundtrip walk to the local market consisting of about 4 miles R/T.
I did not realize how much weight stress is on the shoulders from holding a couple of moderately heavy canvas grocery bags full of produce and bakery items for 30 minutes.
Get a cart, carry 4 or 5 bags Make the trip worthwhile.
Old 05-07-23, 02:57 PM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Okay. This looks doable.

Yep, that style bag will carry a fair amount of stuff comfortably. It isn't that different than the bags we carried newspapers in when I was a paper boy many decades ago. We could carry more with a big belt/strap though, but that wouldn't work so well for groceries.

Not sure how popular they are these days, but those carts that fold flat used to be popular and worked great.
Old 05-07-23, 05:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,112 Times in 3,121 Posts
Walk my labradoodle 12 miles a week. My wife and I alternate days. I listen to Hidden Brain and The Daily while checking out the gardens and chatting with other dog walkers. Without the dog and podcasts I would be bored

Old 05-08-23, 01:09 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1 / Cervelo zht

Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If hiking in the hills 5% + grade ( not walking flat at the mall ) I think hiking does more for fitness for the same amount of time. say doing both activities 4 hours at heart rate 150 etc...
Old 05-08-23, 06:57 PM
teejaywhy

Liked 118 Times in 70 Posts
I like to walk. But I don't usually invest any energy in philosophical navel gazing about it.

Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 05-09-23, 10:13 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,805 Times in 1,895 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
If hiking in the hills 5% + grade ( not walking flat at the mall ) I think hiking does more for fitness for the same amount of time. say doing both activities 4 hours at heart rate 150 etc...
Hiking's good easy/moderate aerobic exercise, but it's hard (for me) to get the workout intensity up at a walking pace. And running is not an option for me, due to injuries.

My walking pace is around 3-3.5 mph, and to get my heart rate over 140 requires a grade of about 15%. The same 140+ heart rate effort at 15% on a bike gets me going around 5.5 mph.

Unlike hiking, the bike makes it easy to increase workout intensity; you just pedal harder.

Old 05-09-23, 01:28 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I prefer to run up hills
Old 05-09-23, 01:34 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1 / Cervelo zht

Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
I prefer to run up hills
if you have have the knees for it knock yourself out. Unfortunately I was hit while riding motorcycle by car so running is out for me :/

Trail running/hiking probably one of the best exercises you do. Just want twisting your ankles and knees from roots and things.

I find I get more joy out riding a bike. I think nothing of a 5+ hour ride with friends on a weekend. If I am hiking 5 hours I want a view to make it worth it. ha-ha
Old 05-09-23, 01:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Liked 384 Times in 289 Posts
My parents would take us to the beach at Laguna CA every summer but it was the first time that I bicycled along the coast highway at less than 20 mph that I noticed how much I had missed sitting inside a car. Same with bicycling the Avenue of the Giants in the redwoods where anyone driving along at 50+ mph sees far less and hears and smells nothing at all.

In past years when car camping in National Forest areas it was rare to see a young person without an ipod or phone who was listening to music or playing a game and completely oblivious to the natural sounds and smells and sights of nature. I can understand why Steve Jobs refused to buy these devices and computers for his own children.

When I was growing up I spent a great deal of time in the forests, the deserts, and at the beaches, and they were a place to get away from the city and to do a mental reset. Now everyone wants to have their digital umbilical cord and are addicted to their electronic devices and need a daily, if not hourly fix.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 05-09-23, 10:16 PM
50PlusCycling

Liked 892 Times in 443 Posts
I live in Japan where the obesity and diabetes rates are about one-fifth of America’s. Japan also has the world’s best longevity. I can’t attribute this to diet, as Japanese eat lots of bread, rice, assorted junk food, and consume the most salt of any race. But I can attribute physical activity, mostly walking.

When I moved to Japan I was surprised at how much walking I had to do. Walking down 3 flights of stairs from my apartment, walking 20 minutes to the train station, 2 flights of stairs in the station, a twenty minute standing-room-only ride, change trains, 2 more flights of stairs, another 30 minutes standing-room-only ride, two more flights of stairs, and 10 minutes of walking to my office. Then play this in reverse for the evening. Walking is not a bad way of staying healthy.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-10-23, 10:55 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Liked 793 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler

This paragraph pertains to the Camino de Santiago. It's not a blanket statement about walking vs. cycling. I am not religious, but if I did the Camino, I would definitely go by foot without vehicular assistance. This is what is being written about here.
Old 05-12-23, 02:48 AM
sin7

Bikes: Cube Attention 2023

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dislike walking. Well, it's slow. It's hard to bypass smokers fast without breathing the smoke. Even if I walk fast around 6km/h. It feels like you put so much energy to cross so little distance.
I did hiking quite a lot during my life, probably hiking has a different feeling and philosophy behind - it's not the city, it's not about reaching the point B. You're not in hurry. You just enjoy your time. But when I'm doing my usual walks to the shop or to the buss station, to police, to shops - it's pure reaching from point A to point B. When I'm using bicycle for commuting at least it feels like a training. Usually I use scooters on short distances simply because well I need to take off bike from 4th floor and then bring it back, it makes no sense for short distances.
Old 05-12-23, 05:32 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,137 Times in 7,575 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
My parents would take us to the beach at Laguna CA every summer but it was the first time that I bicycled along the coast highway at less than 20 mph that I noticed how much I had missed sitting inside a car. Same with bicycling the Avenue of the Giants in the redwoods where anyone driving along at 50+ mph sees far less and hears and smells nothing at all.

In past years when car camping in National Forest areas it was rare to see a young person without an ipod or phone who was listening to music or playing a game and completely oblivious to the natural sounds and smells and sights of nature. I can understand why Steve Jobs refused to buy these devices and computers for his own children.

When I was growing up I spent a great deal of time in the forests, the deserts, and at the beaches, and they were a place to get away from the city and to do a mental reset. Now everyone wants to have their digital umbilical cord and are addicted to their electronic devices and need a daily, if not hourly fix.
I have always been a city boy. My parents were not outdoorsy people at all. When I went away to high school in western MA, I fell in love with “the woods.”

I did my first self contained bike tour at age 34. That was in ‘99. No one except the tour leader had phones back then.

When I tour these days, I take a phone for communication, photos and mapping. It’s often off or in airplane mode. No laptop or GPS. (I still make paper cue sheets.) I prefer to stay in places like Forest Service campgrounds and places like state parks, where I am often more in nature than one is in a commercial campground. When the opportunity presents itself, I often take walks after setting up camp or just sit by a fire enjoying my surroundings.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-12-23, 06:38 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,137 Times in 7,575 Posts
Manly men after 7 days of walking in Glacier National Park. No bathing. The water was too cold. And neither of us brought any money for beers from the camp store while waiting to be picked up. Dumb.

Likes For indyfabz: