Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tire size vs rim size

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

tire size vs rim size

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 09:25 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
tire size vs rim size

As a proper example, could I mount a 700x23 on a rim which currently has a 700x32 mounted on it, and vice versa?

I think the standard rims, I could be wrong, is 18-23, 25-32, 35-43???, etc. At least my 32 is a bigger width rim than my 23. Can you cross mount? I have tried to mount a 23 on a 32 wheel, but didn't ride it. It seemed like it was holding to the rim fine when fully inflated. I found another 23 wheel I had laying around and used it instead, once I found it. Right now I'm mostly wondering for future reference so I know how 'prepared' I need to be ahead of time, as well as how I want to prepare.
Old 05-20-23, 09:46 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
See attached article from Sheldon Brown: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

About 7/8 of the way down the page, he discusses and shows a chart of rim v tire widths. I'd start with this as a guide.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 05-20-23, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6330 Post(s)
Liked 4,922 Times in 3,388 Posts
You need to know the rim's ISO size. Which will look something like an ISO tire size. It tells you the internal width across the bead seat.

Then you can go to charts that suggest reasonable sizes you can consider for that rim. None are exact and some people successfully use tires outside of the recommended. And if you use the charts of some manufacturers they may differ slightly in their recommendations. So you might consider seeing if the manufacturer for your tire has their own recommendation or not.

Near the bottom part of this article there is a generic chart.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Old 05-20-23, 10:06 AM
bikenh

Originally Posted by MudPie
See attached article from Sheldon Brown: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

About 7/8 of the way down the page, he discusses and shows a chart of rim v tire widths. I'd start with this as a guide.
Good old Sheldon Brown. I saved the webpage and will look at it tonight. I will also have to measure the inner width and see what it is.

Like I said I tried to mount a 23 on a 32 and I knew it looked questionable. Now I'm looking at maybe trying to mount some kind of mountain bike tire on a rim which currently has 32 on it. That plus also in any case I would need back up tires for the bike it is mounted to since it is the only rideable bike I currently have and I don't own a car. Kinda becomes a matter of knowing how far to I can push things and get away with it I'm already pushing using road bike tires on single track Getting away it and unbelievably loving it. Said I would never ride off-road. OOPS

Thanks.
Old 05-20-23, 10:13 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 894 Posts
As a minimum, I want the width of the tire to be more than the external width of the rim. Think of coasting into a curb at a very acute angle. I want rubber to hit the curb, not metal.

My personal max is 2.2x rim width. Other people may go wider. I don't find a need to.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-20-23, 10:31 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
Sheldon's tire width chart is hogwash. The famous Velocity A23 rim has an internal width of 18mm and is designed for 23c tires. The first lightweight mountain rims were standard road rims like the Mavic MA40 and Matrix Iso CII rolled down to 26" and were paired with 2" tires. According to the chart, both of these incredibly common combinations are unacceptable.
Old 05-21-23, 12:35 PM
bikenh

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
As a minimum, I want the width of the tire to be more than the external width of the rim. Think of coasting into a curb at a very acute angle. I want rubber to hit the curb, not metal.

My personal max is 2.2x rim width. Other people may go wider. I don't find a need to.
I would agree with that. Right now, that I'm finally seeing what I'm looking for, is it accurate to measure inside of fork(left to right) and ditto on the rear end to find the widest tire you can work with. Naturally you have to leave some leeway, as is said in Sheldon's article fo wheel trueness? Without looking immediately I think it comes more into play on the rear than the front on how big I can go. I'll look when I get back to the bike.
Old 05-21-23, 05:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 894 Posts
Don't forget being able to insert/remove a fully inflated tire through the brake pads.
It's really a pain to have to deflate a tire to do that.