Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery French Frame Identification?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 05:37 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 89 Posts

I just received this beauty in a trade. Appears to be French. At the moment I do not have my many tools or parts but I can ascertain it has right hand BB threads both left and right, 68mm BB shell, 26.4 or 26.2 seat post (26.6 just barely doesn’t fit), 22.0 steer tube ID, Not super clean but there is no visible seam inside seat post tube that I can see. The rear cable hanger braze on really has me intrigued. Thanks for the help in advance.

Thick paint.

My favorite detail

Forged fork crown

Gum drop shaped clamp stay

Hard to make out serial # thick paint

I love these old Simplex left side drops.

Old 07-02-23, 07:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 3,494 Times in 2,270 Posts
-----

appears late 1960's

the centrepull bridge and the cable housing guide on the drive side seat stay are two Bernard Carre touches

of course these could have been duplicated by others

Bernard also seemed to be fond of the Vagner flat top crowns

the seat stay caps are Carre-esque; he usually left a free edge on the caps

lug pattern Prugnat 62/d

fork crown Vagner DP

ends set Juy Ref. 1752/1753, Ref. 932/933

you could check steerer for markings; possible it may be a NERVOR

forum member CV-6 could write much more articulately regarding the possibility of Carre-ness

conceivable frame/cycle could have been badged as Sauvage or Lejeune

possible it may have been produced in the Sauvage/Lejeune facility by someone other than BC in which case one might say it is "BC-inspired" or "BC-guided"

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-02-23 at 07:48 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 07-02-23, 07:28 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 83 Posts
I have a late 60's Lejeune that shares many of the same characteristics: lugs, crown, stay ends, brake cable hanger, TT cable stops, RD cable guide. Different dropouts but that depended on the model.
Old 07-02-23, 08:11 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Juvela thanks once again, Kroozer there is a remarkable resemblance.

Kroozer’s Lejeune

This one looks like a match.

Another near match.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 07-02-23 at 11:35 PM.
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 07-03-23, 04:24 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

I've been digging into Lejeune Models and from what I can put together this would be a Pro or Professional Model that would have featured French Components. In an old C and V post it was mentioned that these were made from non butted 531 tubing however I can't seem to find a photo of one online that has a 531 Decal except for the V70 model on Velo Base were the description clearly states that it was repainted. The models with Campy Drops do usually have the 531 Decal. Still the seat post appears to be of the right size, no seam is visible when I look down the seat post tube and the bike has all of the hallmarks of a top end model. One anomaly is the shape of the shift lever stop.

As for the Carre origin the suggestion had me pretty excited, but this appears to be a high-end model made by Lejeune. I'd be happy if I were corrected but Carre built frames have the diamond shaped plates on top of the seat stay caps and this frame does not. Also I can't find a photo of a Carre made Lejeune using the same lugs.
Old 07-03-23, 05:11 PM
juvela

-----

have one here which is a very close match to the Calhoun example you posted

​​​​​​

the Calhoun image was made on an overcast day so it is hard to see clearly but the cycle's red colour is a flambouyant and differs from the opaque red of the SONOLOR livery

the machine here closely resembles this; the greatest difference being that it came with a T.A. Trois Attachees chainset

gear ensemble Juy Criterium, brakes MAFAC Racer, Luxe Competition hubs, Lyotard 460D pedals, Lightrace headset, Philippe stem/bar set

chrome & transfers are the same as the Calhoun example

the Luxe Competition hubs have the gold foil labels which came in during 1970-71 and were only current two years or so as the red foil labels came in during 1973

this is a helpful date bracketing clue for the bicycle

the one Lejeune brochure available online illustrates the models with black and white drawings so some details unclear and individual examples can vary

have discussed some of the details with CV-6 via PM and it seems there are no hard and fast rules
the bottom line seems to be that if we have a Lejeune we enjoy then just enjoy it and do not drive yourself bonkers with over-analyzation

-----
Old 07-04-23, 11:05 AM
juvela

-----

addendum(b) -

forgot to mention above...

given your location and the date of the frame...

...it is likely the frame comes from a cycle which was directly imported by the Los Angeles area bike shop Mulrooney's

they had a main store and a couple branches as well

did direct importation of Lejeune bicycles during the early 1970's

the quantities were such that they wholesaled them to other shops

there was a period there where they were "everywhere" due to this...then they were gone

advert placed in BICYCLING! MAGAZINE during 1973 -

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-05-23 at 12:02 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela: