Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Holy Grail / Bathroom Bike….

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Holy Grail / Bathroom Bike….

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 06:07 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Liked 959 Times in 495 Posts
"Paint it like you own it".

Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 07-15-23, 09:09 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Liked 1,313 Times in 695 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Can I get a ruling on the cable guides?
Rob those stop plates should sit flush against the tube. It might be the thick paint makes the square boss too large.

something not quite right there.

but fixable !
Old 07-15-23, 09:31 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,105 Times in 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Rob those stop plates should sit flush against the tube. It might be the thick paint makes the square boss too large.

something not quite right there.

but fixable !
I believe he’s referring to the top tube cable guides. What are you referring to?
Old 07-15-23, 09:41 AM
Schlafen

Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
never thougt of taking a bike with me in the throne room, usually my phone keeps me entertained. I just hope you washed the bike before throwing it on the bed like that.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 07-15-23, 09:44 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Originally Posted by smd4
I believe he’s referring to the top tube cable guides. What are you referring to?
the cable guides are definitely not original, the bike is a repaint so they were added then.

I was referring to the shift levers however

/markp
Old 07-15-23, 09:51 AM
smd4

the cable guides are definitely not original, the bike is a repaint so they were added then.

I was referring to the shift levers however

/markp
That’s what I thought.

He knows the cable guides are not original. His question is, are they accurate for Cinelli? The ones on his bike use one “loop,” whereas he thinks maybe each guide should have two loops.

My 1989 Cinelli has single loops. I don’t know whether or not Cinelli used double loops when they started using braze-ons. If the frame was restored in the late 1980, maybe Cycleart just used whatever Cinelli was using at the time?
Old 07-15-23, 11:14 AM
chain_whipped

Liked 475 Times in 244 Posts
Holy Schitt! Can't imagine what your number 2 bathroom bike looks like~
Old 07-15-23, 12:20 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

That’s what I thought.

He knows the cable guides are not original. His question is, are they accurate for Cinelli? The ones on his bike use one “loop,” whereas he thinks maybe each guide should have two loops.

My 1989 Cinelli has single loops. I don’t know whether or not Cinelli used double loops when they started using braze-ons. If the frame was restored in the late 1980, maybe Cycleart just used whatever Cinelli was using at the time?
I think the silver bike would have been built with no TT cable guides. Since it's obviously a Cycle Art repaint, I'd suspect that the cable guides were added by Cycleart using what they had in hand, sincerely doubt they consulted with Cinelli

This bike which is absolutely original, documented from Andrea Cinelli, built for Cino's doctor with many "special touches" including a date-able serial number, has the double loop top tube cable guides. I'll be showing this bike at the July Bob Freeman gathering, it's pretty interesting, a small format "Ridotto" with 75 degree head angle and Phil hubs from the Cinelli shop. One of the very last built by Valsasella before Columbo took over.

and thanks for keeping me on topic here smd4 , I got a lot going on and don't follow every post on every thread. I was not disputing the originality of the shift lever bosses, simply pointing out that they are incorrectly rigged. The stop plate should sit flush with the down tube.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 07-15-23 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-15-23, 12:42 PM
repechage

Liked 2,847 Times in 2,008 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

"Perhaps the down-tube shifter braze-ons were added too. I haven't consulted campy catalogues to see when the braze on's first became available. Maybe someone who knows the Cinelli time-line could school me."

---

am certainly no Tulliana expert

earliest catalogue have access to is Nr. 12 of MCMLIII

on pagina XIX it shows the shift lever braze-ons as items Nr. 611/1 & 600/1

these early ones have stop plates with housing stops integral

do not know how much further back they may go

member iab is sure to be able to give you more and better information...

-----
downtube shift bosses were available in the 1950’s. Just not very commonly used.
the levers on this subject bike are much later, the backing plates without the cable ports came about the same time as the redesigned levers.
‘this bike was refinished, modified with updated parts probably in the late late 70’s or 80’s quite a mix, earlier external bar fastener stem, all kinds of subtle exchanges. A bit surprised no Cinelli handlebar caps.

Other Cyclart executive decisions, the world stripes on the seat tube are theirs, as is the model name as a decal, original was a sticker in this era.

when this bike was refinished, “period correct” was not a grail, it was refinish for further use. Adding braze-ons just enhanced that and the bottom line of the invoice.
does not show the rear triangle was spread, so some nod to history.
Old 07-16-23, 02:53 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Liked 2,094 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
never thougt of taking a bike with me in the throne room, usually my phone keeps me entertained. I just hope you washed the bike before throwing it on the bed like that.
Funny,

The owner kept this bike in his bathroom. I keep my bikes in the living room, the dining room and sometimes the kitchen, like everybody else.
Old 07-16-23, 02:55 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Liked 2,094 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
downtube shift bosses were available in the 1950’s. Just not very commonly used.
the levers on this subject bike are much later, the backing plates without the cable ports came about the same time as the redesigned levers.
‘this bike was refinished, modified with updated parts probably in the late late 70’s or 80’s quite a mix, earlier external bar fastener stem, all kinds of subtle exchanges. A bit surprised no Cinelli handlebar caps.

Other Cyclart executive decisions, the world stripes on the seat tube are theirs, as is the model name as a decal, original was a sticker in this era.

when this bike was refinished, “period correct” was not a grail, it was refinish for further use. Adding braze-ons just enhanced that and the bottom line of the invoice.
does not show the rear triangle was spread, so some nod to history.
The rear is 126!!

Thank god.
Old 07-16-23, 03:20 PM
smd4

This bike which is absolutely original, documented from Andrea Cinelli, built for Cino's doctor with many "special touches" including a date-able serial number, has the double loop top tube cable guides. I'll be showing this bike at the July Bob Freeman gathering, it's pretty interesting, a small format "Ridotto" with 75 degree head angle and Phil hubs from the Cinelli shop. One of the very last built by Valsasella before Columbo took over.

Nice looking bike, Mark. May I ask the year?

Is there any rhyme or reason about when Cinelli used either the single loop or double loop guides? Maybe just whatever they had on hand?
Old 07-16-23, 03:27 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Is there any rhyme or reason about when Cinelli used either the single loop or double loop guides? Maybe just whatever they had on hand?
I think those double loop fittings are just a piece of steel tube that has been slotted and shaped. They may have used an investment cast fitting when it became available from Microfusione Italia or some other supplier.

This bike has a unique serial number that dates it to 1977. it is one of the very last bikes built before Columbo took over. I have seen one other "Ridotto" like this, and it too had Phil hubs, they were supplied from Cinelli.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-16-23, 03:33 PM
smd4

Interesting piece of history. Thanks!
Old 07-16-23, 04:40 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Liked 215 Times in 150 Posts
I've heard of barn finds but this is different.
Old 07-16-23, 08:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
My brain got stuck on "he has this Cinelli in his bathroom" and the rest of the post sounded like the adults in the Peanuts cartoon shows making trombone sounds.

I'll be okay in a day or two.
Old 07-22-23, 02:03 PM
jameskm

Bikes: 81' Miyata 1000, 90' Miyata 1000LT, 85' Trek 720, 89' Trek 660, 86' Trek 700 Tri-series

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Bellessima! I thought I was the only one who stored his bike in a washroom
Old 07-23-23, 08:42 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Liked 1,033 Times in 489 Posts
Suggest:
Red bar tape (again)
Pedals.
Just enough honestly-earned dirt so that you don't dare throw it on your white bedspread.

Nice bike.

I am the sole authority on the correctness of my bicycle.
Old 07-23-23, 05:29 PM
MRBoston

Bikes: 1977 Nishiki in rehab

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I have certainly seen some passionate behavior and discussion about bicycles, but taking your bike to a hotel for some bed-play is another level for sure;-)
Likes For MRBoston: