Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for bike in DC,MD,Baltimore

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 11:51 PM
eri_kon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey all! I know this post isn't like the usuals but I was recommended I ask here to see if anyone can help a newbie find a bike in the DC, Baltimore, Maryland area and I'm about 5'10 so I reckon a 56-58 bike would probably be what is best.

I'm thinking a nice older road bike for biking around college that will also let me get into cycling, and my budget is $350. If anyone wants to enjoy spending my money for me, please feel free to do so and I would be indebted to u!!
Old 08-02-23, 01:05 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 254 Posts
Sadly on the forums you can only post for sale and wanted ads on the for sale/wanted section, and you can only do so as a paying member.

I think it was College Park Bicycles that had a ton of used bikes and frames? Call them and let me know if I'm remembering that right.
Old 08-02-23, 08:17 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 278 Posts
Check Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace (where I found my 1995 Rockhopper for $50), and other classified listings.
Old 08-02-23, 09:46 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3922 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,251 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
On the forums, you can only post for sale and wanted ads on the for sale/wanted section, and you can only do so as a paying member.
That's not what he's asking. He's wanting help finding a bike on Craigs, FB, etc.

I found some for him in his previous thread in the appraisals forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ke-1981-a.html
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-02-23, 10:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5900 Post(s)
Liked 3,514 Times in 2,095 Posts
Originally Posted by eri_kon
Hey all! I know this post isn't like the usuals but I was recommended I ask here to see if anyone can help a newbie find a bike in the DC, Baltimore, Maryland area and I'm about 5'10 so I reckon a 56-58 bike would probably be what is best.

I'm thinking a nice older road bike for biking around college that will also let me get into cycling, and my budget is $350. If anyone wants to enjoy spending my money for me, please feel free to do so and I would be indebted to u!!
You should ask the mods to move this thread to the C&V valuation forum. This is the "regular" C&V forum and you will get less help here.
Old 08-02-23, 10:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5900 Post(s)
Liked 3,514 Times in 2,095 Posts
If it fits, this Bianchi Volpe at $350 is a fine bike and a reasonable price:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-21a4a663fbfb

This Fuji at $130 is an OK price:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-21a4a663fbfb

The Volpe is a very good bike and the price is fair. Hopefully it fits you.
Old 08-02-23, 10:47 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 413 Posts
Eri, while members here often help newbies find a vintage bike on Craigslist, I recommend you to try a tactic other than 'do the work for me'. There are many other 'Help me find a bike' threads on here that have been very lively and helpful because the person asking for help plays a highly active role trying to find the bike as well. There are many people peppering the community for help all the time, so us regulars are more likely to help those who show a real interest, and are willing to be part of the community if only for a short while.

That being said, a good number of us are so addicted to trawling for bikes on Craigslist (myself one of them) that someone may come to your aid regardless.

Last edited by Piff; 08-02-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-02-23, 11:33 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
And check your local thrift stores. Every once in a while a well equipped road bike shows at the Salvation Army. The Shop Goodwill site auctions bikes for local pickup. Finding a bike in your size in decent condition will take persistence. If you find a bike that looks right feel free to ask our opinion.

Good luck at school and be sure to get a good lock.