Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

TLR bike came with tubes???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 02:25 AM
Superjim2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I got my new 2023 FX Sport 6 which I love. But I was surprised and puzzled to learn the bike that came with the highly advertise TLR wheels and TLR tires did not come tubeless. It came with tubes and did not include tubeless valve stems. Just me I guess but I would have thought with all the hype and promotion of being tubeless ready and having the TLR wheels and tires it would have come tubeless from the factory. At lease include the tubeless valve stems with the wheels.
Old 08-11-23, 04:22 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
That seems to be the norm with tubeless ready and new bikes. You may not even find that the rims have been taped for tubless in many cases. At least that is what the mechanic told me when my new bike came with tubes and no tubeless stems or tubeless rim tape.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-11-23, 04:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,144 Times in 3,178 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
That seems to be the norm with tubeless ready and new bikes. You may not even find that the rims have been taped for tubless in many cases. At least that is what the mechanic told me when my new bike came with tubes and no tubeless stems or tubeless rim tape.
Yeah it is pretty typical, although IME rims are usually taped.

Giant are an exception as they do supply bikes fully tubeless and the dealer adds sealant at point of sale.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-11-23, 04:42 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah it is pretty typical, although IME rims are usually taped.
I thought it was pretty lousy to not tape them and call them tubeless ready. My cannondale MTB came that way. I was a little pissed.

Giant are an exception as they do supply bikes fully tubeless and the dealer adds sealant at point of sale.
That would be my preference. I'd want to have a choice in what sealant they add so I'd prefer it didn't come with sealant before that.

Still I am fine pulling out tubes and adding stems (it ought to come with them IMO), but I think taping should already be done if you are calling the bike tubeless ready.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-11-23, 05:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 2,918 Posts
My C'dale came with the rims taped but with tubes. I had to get stems and sealant. This was fine, I got to choose what I wanted. It makes sense in a way. Lots of folks aren't interested in tubeless and those who are need to become familiar with their stuff. Not something to be depending on a shop to deal with.
Old 08-11-23, 05:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I thought it was pretty lousy to not tape them and call them tubeless ready. My cannondale MTB came that way. I was a little pissed.

That would be my preference. I'd want to have a choice in what sealant they add so I'd prefer it didn't come with sealant before that.

Still I am fine pulling out tubes and adding stems (it ought to come with them IMO), but I think taping should already be done if you are calling the bike tubeless ready.
Both my Canyon bikes came fully taped with tubes. With their direct sales model it wouldn’t be practical for them to add sealant. I also had to buy tubeless valves separately. I thought Canyon might have supplied tubeless valves in their spares kit, but no big deal.

My Giant Defy came from a dealer, but not local to me. The dealer shipped it complete with sealant ready to ride. They used Stans sealant, which is not my preference but it worked fine. I just switched to my preferred sealant when the tyres were replaced.

Even way back in 2015 my wife’s Santa Cruz MTB was supplied by the dealer fully tubeless with sealant.
Old 08-11-23, 06:02 AM
Jklotz

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
My Trek Domane came with taped rims, tubeless valves, no sealent and no tubes. The shop asked which way I wanted to go. They were willing to throw some tubes or sealant in there, whichever I wanted. I choose tubeless.

IMHO, that's how it should be, you should have the choice.
Likes For Jklotz:
Old 08-11-23, 06:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
My Trek Domane came with taped rims, tubeless valves, no sealent and no tubes. The shop asked which way I wanted to go. They were willing to throw some tubes or sealant in there, whichever I wanted. I choose tubeless.

IMHO, that's how it should be, you should have the choice.
So are the showroom floor Domanes all tubeless, or sitting on flat tires? Just curious.

If a new bike is sold with Tubeless tires on TLR rims, my opinion is buyer should not experience any additional charges to have the bike fully setup tubeless (valves and sealant taken care of). Running TL tire with tubes is a waste and unnecessary weight added for the TLR tires when standard clinchers could be opted for. At very least shop should switch tires (no charge) to clincher version (non TL) tires if the buyer wants to keep running the bike with tubes.
Old 08-11-23, 06:37 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by PeteHski
My Giant Defy came from a dealer, but not local to me. The dealer shipped it complete with sealant ready to ride. They used Stans sealant, which is not my preference but it worked fine. I just switched to my preferred sealant when the tyres were replaced.

Even way back in 2015 my wife’s Santa Cruz MTB was supplied by the dealer fully tubeless with sealant.
Not a big deal probably, but I generally prefer to not mix sealants or lubricants. If given the choice, I prefer to use one brand and not mix when it comes to stuff like tire sealants and chain lubes. I wouldn't be all that worried about it and probably wouldn't rinse out the other stuff, but it just makes sense to start out with what you plan to use. If it came with something other than what I previously used I might go so far as to switch to what it came with until I found it to be problematic.
Old 08-11-23, 06:38 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So are the showroom floor Domanes all tubeless, or sitting on flat tires? Just curious.
Not sure about Trek, but all the Giant road bikes at my LBS sit on the shop floor tubeless, without sealant. They are not flat, but lower than normal running pressure - probably because they slowly lose air without sealant.
Old 08-11-23, 06:54 AM
Jklotz

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Mine had the rim tape already installed and had tubes in them while sitting on the floor. I don't know if that's the way all of them come. My shop's pretty good though, they don't nickle and dime me, never have. Just asked which I wanted, I told the tubeless. The mech had the tubes ripped out, new valve and sealant installed in about 3 minutes flat. It wasn't a cheap purchase, I'd expect that level of service at that price point. It really wasn't a big deal. They certainly didn't make it one. I mean, come on, their cost in the swap over was maybe $3?
Old 08-11-23, 07:06 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by Superjim2
Just me I guess but I would have thought with all the hype and promotion of being tubeless ready and having the TLR wheels and tires it would have come tubeless from the factory. At lease include the tubeless valve stems with the wheels.
Please explain to this boomer (not really, 1961) how is tubeless ready not tubeless ready. If it came without tubes and stems included it would be tubeless, no? Now get off my lawn!...
Old 08-11-23, 07:29 AM
Superjim2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Please explain to this boomer (not really, 1961) how is tubeless ready not tubeless ready. If it came without tubes and stems included it would be tubeless, no? Now get off my lawn!...
OK young punk (not really) I do understand TLR vs. Tubeless. I'm just saying if they provide a TLR wheel set with TLR tires on a $2,800.00 bike why not just go ahead and ship it with rim tape and tubeless valves? Even if they add the extra cost to the bike.
Old 08-11-23, 07:46 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Superjim2
OK young punk (not really) I do understand TLR vs. Tubeless. I'm just saying if they provide a TLR wheel set with TLR tires on a $2,800.00 bike why not just go ahead and ship it with rim tape and tubeless valves? Even if they add the extra cost to the bike.
The thing is, when I buy a TLR wheelset it comes taped. So why wouldn't it be taped when it is on a new bike? Or do new TLR wheels not come taped? The ones I have bought were.
Old 08-11-23, 07:58 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
My ‘22 SL5 came fully set up tubeless with Bontrager sealant. I was a little concerned at first, but I love being tubeless.
Old 08-11-23, 08:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Not having the rims appropriately taped is very odd. I can't say that I've ever seen a new, tubeless-compatible wheelset not come with tubeless tape installed (caveat - I'm talking road and gravel). I mean, even if I was going to run tubes, I wouldn't use ye olde cloth tape, screw that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-11-23, 10:24 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 212 Posts
Tubeless ready to me means just that. Rims are tubeless compatible, rims are taped, and tires can be run tubeless. It doesn't (to me) mean it is in fact setup tubeless. I could go either way on whether TLR means it should come with tubeless stems.

In any case, I've bought all my bikes new from a LBS, and am given the choice which way to go. As for being charged more, that only happens if I choose to run tubes, because I'll go with tire liners and Slime for a bit extra.

It really wouldn't matter to me. I have preferred stems and sealant type. So, I end up swapping that out anyway.
Likes For Mtracer: