Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stop? Signs…

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-23, 10:41 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
We currently have yield signs, so it seems like there’s some pretty good precedent to answer the question with.
From my observations, most people treat them like green lights, but I think I have only ever seen them in merging lanes and not at a true 4 direction intersection.
Old 08-10-23, 10:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
From my observations, most people treat them like green lights, but I think I have only ever seen them in merging lanes and not at a true 4 direction intersection.
Interesting assessment. I was guessing that if people treated yields like green lights, yield sign locations would be common scenes of accidents. I don’t see that around here, but maybe my observations are not as comprehensive or insightful as yours.

We have a couple of intersection yields here, but not as 4-way controls: the signs also say crossing traffic does not stop. We also have yields at all traffic roundabouts here, and there, too, they seem to work because people don’t go sailing into the circle with reckless abandon.
Old 08-10-23, 11:05 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Interesting assessment. I was guessing that if people treated yields like green lights, yield sign locations would be common scenes of accidents. I don’t see that around here, but maybe my observations are not as comprehensive or insightful as yours.

We have a couple of intersection yields here, but not as 4-way controls: the signs also say crossing traffic does not stop. We also have yields at all traffic roundabouts here, and there, too, they seem to work because people don’t go sailing into the circle with reckless abandon.
Well like I said, I have only seen them around here for merge lanes, and I have seen many close calls on those, but I wouldn't really know how people would treat them at a 4 way intersection. My observations are mostly limited to the big metropolitan city where people are always in a hurry and distracted by everything. We Angelinos have forgotten how to think for ourselves and are therefore not likely to stop or even slow for a railroad track that doesn't have a crossing guard, or slow down for a blind curve or intersection. You haven't lived until you've been through an intersection with 3 lanes in every direction plus turn lanes when the signal is out!
Old 08-10-23, 01:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
...and only stated that driver frustration was an outcome, not that it was the only outcome, nor did state it was an outcome contrary to the intent of the measures....
It was the only direct outcome you mentioned. It's one sided. You don't seem to have any awareness of other possible outcomes.

It could be a minor issue or one that is outweighed by overall increases in "safety".

But, I will say that I’m not at all sure that reducing driver frustration is one of the things which traffic calming measures are intended to reduce.
I never claimed traffic calming was intended to reduce "driver frustration".

Anyway, I don’t think your line of discussion is either helpful or clarifying to my earlier comments since it keeps moving further afield from my point, so I’m just gonna leave it where it is.
Your point appears to be that traffic calming is bad (because it increases "driver frustration" which leads to ""dangerous and risky driving").

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-10-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-10-23, 01:29 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,112 Posts
Around the DC area, yellow lights are treated like green ones. 2 seconds after green is much safer than going on green.
I think the culture around this area is about seeing what you can get by with. If people don't obey traffic laws, they likely don't obey others that are not "convenient" regardless of others safety. Lack of enforcement is an enabler.
Old 08-10-23, 04:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
When you're on your bike and encounter a stop sign, especially with no one else there, do you stop?
I just ride through without stopping and feel absolutely no guilt about doing it...I do the same with red lights, if there is no traffic i just go through.
Old 08-10-23, 05:18 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
2 seconds after green is much safer than going on green.
This reflects my perception and experiences as well, both from driving my personal motor vehicle as well as a school bus for a few years then a commuter bus (built on an F-550 truck chassis) for a few more.

DO NOT move ahead when a red changes to green without a 'one... two...' count whilst looking BOTH WAYS.

Timing is everything in life.

Ignore the angry horns coming from behind, they're not the ones who'll get nailed by a red-runner if you're first away.
Old 08-11-23, 12:10 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Same here. It's insane.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Don't get me started. The total disregard so many drivers have for the stop signs in my neighbor hood is incredible. I have been stopped, in my car only to have someone approach from another direction and just blow right through. We have attempted to engage our local PD but this issue is so low on their list you should just be lucky they listened to you on the phone. One of the things that really sticks out for me is that I live next to a school and I see all too many parents driving their kids to school while blowing through the stop signs. I mean, what kind of message are you sending your kid?
In the SF East Bay (and Bay Area in general), obeying traffic laws seems to be a thing of the past. Blowing red lights & stop signs is the new normal.

A friend feels strongly that PD has basically said, "You want to support BLM or whatever, good luck with society!" LE has disappeared from our streets as far as traffic enforcement is concerned. They're punishing us for asking for unbiased, fair policing that doesn't murder detainees. How rude of us! Not sure how true this is, but it sure seems like it may have some truth to it.

And although most of the egregious behavior I see is from the typical driver demographic, I consider ALL drivers scofflaws. How many "successful professionals" cannot be bothered to put the phone down? Even with their own kids in the car? A LOT!

Yeah, it's VERY discouraging. Disgusting, really.
Old 08-11-23, 12:14 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
What you said misleads people. Your "point" wasn't clear at all.

This is suggesting that traffic calming makes "dangerous and risky driving" worse. That's the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do (the direct effect)!

The only benefit you list for traffic calming (call "laudable") is "get more people on bikes and public transit is", which is a secondary effect.

And, if traffic calming fails to reduce "dangerous and risky driving", then the "laudable" goal would be the of deceiving people.
Problem with this is it takes the public hostage and blames OTHERS for irresponsible choices and behavior. "You try to remove ANY of our GOD-GIVEN CARS, we'll kill you!" That's some sick rationalization right there! Personally, I don't like giving in to terrorists.
Old 08-11-23, 02:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I just ride through without stopping and feel absolutely no guilt about doing it...I do the same with red lights, if there is no traffic i just go through.
That's exactly what I do. I am more interested in safety than obedience to signs when they don't affect the situation.
Old 08-11-23, 04:16 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Problem with this is it takes the public hostage and blames OTHERS for irresponsible choices and behavior. "You try to remove ANY of our GOD-GIVEN CARS, we'll kill you!" That's some sick rationalization right there! Personally, I don't like giving in to terrorists.
??? What the heck are you talking about?
Old 08-11-23, 05:20 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by bruce19
That's exactly what I do. I am more interested in safety than obedience to signs when they don't affect the situation.
I'm with you on that.

What I grew up understanding as Common Sense.

An increasingly rare commodity apparently in this day and age.
Old 08-11-23, 05:38 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
...I see all too many parents driving their kids to school while blowing through the stop signs. I mean, what kind of message are you sending your kid?
There's a 'Waldorf School' between where I live and where I work part-time. It's 3/4 mile between those two points, residential streets.

I avoid the two blocks that school fronts on during school time when it's time for me to be on my way to work. There are numerous stop signs at the intersections adjacent to that stretch, I've seen way too many instances of parents completely ignoring not only the stop signs but also other peoples' kids trying to cross the streets, or getting out of vehicles by opening doors into the traffic lanes so they can get their kids out of the back seat while other parents are maneuvering for parking spaces at the curb. Even parents double-parking in the middle of the street to let their kids out close to the school's entrance instead of maybe parking a block away where bare curb space is ample... but then of course the kids would have to cross a street to get to the school.

I used to drive a school bus. My route was picking up special needs kids from urban and rural homes. There was one stretch on that route where I routinely had a vehicle that would PASS ME IN A POSTED NO PASSING ZONE where oncoming traffic was hidden by road topography.

I spoke with the bus company's Safety Officer more than once about this, got nowhere.

I tried to get the local PD to take note, giving them the vehicle license number and videos I took of the activity, even to the extent of giving them the times when this activity would most likely occur.

Only to be met with indifference.

This was a decade ago, in a different state from where I am now. I have a county sheriff now as a neighbor who's given me opportunity to discuss how this kind of behavior is looked upon and it's not much different here and now than back there and then.They have other priorities that have to come first and lack manpower as well as backing to enforce the law that covers this kind of behavior.
Old 08-11-23, 06:05 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 462 Posts
There is a stop sign in front of my house (lots of kids in our neighborhood). A large % slow and go through it, and way too many cruise right through without even slowing. Very few completely stop. It's maddening.
Old 08-11-23, 01:01 PM
LV2TNDM

Lotta people using the terrible term "accident" in this thread.

I strongly urge you all to STOP using this horrible word! It's deeply embedded in the American psyche that any collision in a car is an "accident," an "act of god," the convergence of circumstances completely beyond anyone's control. The reality is that VERY FEW collisions are the result of the above. The VAST MAJORITY of crashes are the result of irresponsible behavior of drivers. Drivers CHOOSE to drive poorly and wreck as a result.

Like the woman interviewed on the Bay Area news a few weeks ago. "I was on my phone when this guy slammed into me!" she exclaimed. An out-of-control RV smashed into her on the freeway. And she readily admits she was on the phone! (Sure it could have been hands-free and legal...) But maybe, just MAYBE if you CHOSE to instead place ALL of your attention on driving, you could have AVOIDED being hit! Like if you had been checking your mirrors regularly instead of yakking on the phone, you could have seen it coming and taken evasive action! But nope, this "poor lady" was the victim of "unavoidable circumstance." I call BS!

And when a collision occurs, why START the discussion or evaluation of the incident with a word that implies innocence on the parties involved? Isn't that a rather subjective way to begin the conversation? It MIGHT have been an "accident," but why assume as much before any facts are known? And given driver behavior today, it's a RARE case indeed where a collision was totally unavoidable and everyone was driving responsibly. Very rare.

SFPD has prohibited the use of this word in their official reports. Good on them.

So we should use more appropriate language: crash, collision, wreck or incident are excellent alternatives.

Any cyclist using the "a" word is inadvertently aiding and abetting the entitlement of drivers that promotes a society and justice system that repeatedly refuses to hold drivers responsible for egregious behavior behind the wheel. This is why you can kill behind the wheel and face ZERO consequence. Like the Oakland driver a few years ago who doored a cyclist (violation of CVC 22517) which threw him into the path of a bus, killing him. This driver was neither detained nor cited, but instead was allowed to leave the scene to attend a damn hair salon appointment! Sorry, but if you violate the vehicle code and kill someone, the rest of your day should be "ruined." I'd expect that person to spend hours and hours at the local police station showing proof of vehicle registration, insurance and proper maintenance. Also submit to a drug screening and have phone records investigated. Again, you just KILLED SOMEONE!

But not in the USA.
Driver: "It was just an accident and I didn't MEAN to kill him!"
Police Officer: "Ok, fine driver, please be on your way. Sorry for the inconvenience and all the blood."

Yeah, the word "accident" is part of the problem.
Old 08-11-23, 04:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7680 Post(s)
Liked 3,570 Times in 1,878 Posts
A&S, folks. Enough exaggeration, fiction, and lunacy ... there is a section for this stuff.
Old 08-11-23, 05:05 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimriides
In my last few rides I have witnessed the end of the Stop Sign. No slowing, no stopping, just straight running them. I had several close calls in my first mile today. Just straight blowing thru from a residential street to a major thoroughfare. Natural selection will eventually take care of this but at what cost. Idiots ...
It seems to have gotten more common since the COVID mess struck. I think many such people have "snapped," to the point they're far less likely to tolerate one more limit on them going about their business.

Once was, it was referred to as a "Hollywood stop." Nowadays, it's seemingly everywhere, and often not even just the tap-and-go type "stop."
Old 08-11-23, 05:43 PM
spclark 

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Once was, it was referred to as a "Hollywood stop." Nowadays, it's seemingly everywhere, and often not even just the tap-and-go type "stop."
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
A large % slow and go through it, and way too many cruise right through without even slowing. Very few completely stop. It's maddening.
Yeah, the word "accident" is part of the problem.

"TAXI" stop since I got my license back in '65.

What may result is willful, never an 'accident'.

Last edited by spclark; 08-11-23 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For spclark:
Old 08-13-23, 05:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Lotta people using the terrible term "accident" in this thread.
While I do believe "collision" might be a better term, I see this argument from time to time and wonder where it comes from. By its very definition, accident does NOT imply an act of god or something beyond anyone's control. It simply means the consequence was not intended, and it definitely leaves room for fault.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
accident (noun)
1.an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
2. an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance
Old 08-13-23, 07:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7680 Post(s)
Liked 3,570 Times in 1,878 Posts
I see this the way I see the term "housing challenged" having the effect of lowering the number of homeless people ......
Old 08-13-23, 07:12 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Even worse, cars must come to a "complete" stop at all stop signs before proceeding, even if there is no other traffic is in sight. Nobody does it, but I've been ticketed for this.
Old 08-14-23, 07:48 AM
njkayaker

While I do believe "collision" might be a better term, I see this argument from time to time and wonder where it comes from. By its very definition, accident does NOT imply an act of god or something beyond anyone's control. It simply means the consequence was not intended, and it definitely leaves room for fault.

Look at more definitions. The Oxford definition indicates "luck", "chance", "fate", "destiny", "providence" (god) as synonyms. I suspect you realize this but are ignoring it here for some reason.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...ent?q=accident

Note that the dictionaries list the "collision" meaning separate from the "luck" meaning. The problem is that people are familiar with both (and the other definition can color what they read).

People don't compartmentalize definitions. So, while the author might intend one meaning, the audience often gets another (or is influenced by the other). Good writers choose words based on being aware of this.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
accident (noun)
1. an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
2. an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance

There is a lot of "baggage" with the word accident containing things things like "unexpected" and "unforeseen" and "luck" and "chance" and "providence".

This baggage actually is trying to explain (poorly!) the cause of the event. When, especially at the first report, the explanation isn't known.

Much of the baggage in accident suggests "unavoidable" (due to "luck" or "chance" or "twist of fate").

While people using "accident" aren't intending to include this baggage the baggage is there regardless.

Of course. some of the events called "accidents" aren't "unplanned": people can intentionally run into things.

"Collision" merely describes what happens. It doesn't provide any explanation. It's a much-more neutral word.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-23 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 06:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Look at more definitions. The Oxford definition indicates "luck", "chance", "fate", "destiny", "providence" (god) as synonyms. I suspect you realize this but are ignoring it here for some reason...

"Collision" merely describes what happens. It doesn't provide any explanation. It's a much-more neutral word.
Synonyms do not necessarily have the exact same definition (as a matter of fact, they rarely do), so it would be disingenuous to think that they are completely interchangeable. You wouldn't say "I got an excellent check-up at the doctor and then found a hundred dollar bill! What accident!" or "We were meant to be together, so it was accident that brought us together". I have had people apologize for something by saying "Sorry, it was an accident" meaning (1) they own the responsibility and (2) it was unintentional. I can't think of a time someone has called an intentional collision an "accident", and would even argue that collision softens it as "assault" would be the only appropriate word.

But I digress, collision would indeed be a more accurate word.

Last edited by urbanknight; 08-15-23 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-15-23, 12:52 PM
njkayaker

Synonyms do not necessarily have the exact same definition (as a matter of fact, they rarely do), so it would be disingenuous to think that they are completely interchangeable.
??? I never claimed they had the "exact same definition" or "completely interchangeable". Anyway, if they had the "exact same definition", there wouldn't be this issue!

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-15-23 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-15-23, 03:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

??? I never claimed they had the "exact same definition" or "completely interchangeable". Anyway, if they had the "exact same definition", there wouldn't be this issue!
You told me to read more definitions and then only listed synonyms. The two definitions in your link agree with me, so I’m not sure what point you were trying to make. I just know that almost everybody I know associates “accident” with unintentional, and not faultless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.