Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have a Merz!!**

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have a Merz!!**

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 11:24 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Liked 2,277 Times in 828 Posts
I am organizing a bike painting class at a local Portland body shop. All you have to do is bring the color and decals. They will provide everything else.

Message me.
Old 09-07-23, 01:31 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Reviving…

I’ve exchanged messages with Mr. Merz and he suggested I ditch the 27” wheels and go 700c. I am fully in agreement and since I have a swell set of hubs I’ve been shopping for new rims. I have a set of CR-18s but they are polished and, to my eye, they don’t look right. The profile is too mountain bikey.

The stips - preferably new, 36 hole, silver (not polished), wide-ish for 32mm or wider tires, NOT aero but I may need to concede somewhat on that and shock(!!) horror(!!!) I’m open to tubeless which is unfamiliar ground for me. I also want something that isn’t too much of an ordeal to mount tires.
That's not an easy combination of attributes these days, but I think Mavic A319's check all your boxes. I ordered some from BikeInn in Spain last year and had no problems getting them delivered.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...19/136238893/p
Old 09-07-23, 07:12 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,986 Times in 1,320 Posts
A 319's are great rims. Easy to build, very robust, 19mm internal so you can mount bigguns.
A little heavy, but considering they are double-eyeletted and their intended use, that's to be expected.
I bought mine on eBay last year for less than $100 a pair delivered but they are somewhat pricier now and silvers are more $ than black ones.
Old 09-07-23, 08:25 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Liked 2,015 Times in 679 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Interesting choice to have two sets of bottle braze-ons, shift bosses and chainstay cable stop - but clamps to hold the rear brake cable. If Jim returns, I would love to know his thinking - customer request?
It was the style in the early to mid 70's not to put brake cable guides on the top tube. I did the same combination of bosses on the 1st frame I made at Ellis Briggs in the UK in 1975 (left the TT guides off). In fact decent looking brake cable guides weren't available from suppliers until a year or two or three later going by my memory.

Campy triples were/are not that common and the small ring was a 36. Jim's machining abilities allowed him to put on a 32. What is the inner chainring size on your bike?
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-07-23, 08:38 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Liked 1,177 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
That's not an easy combination of attributes these days, but I think Mavic A319's check all your boxes. I ordered some from BikeInn in Spain last year and had no problems getting them delivered.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...19/136238893/p
Originally Posted by rccardr
A 319's are great rims. Easy to build, very robust, 19mm internal so you can mount bigguns.
A little heavy, but considering they are double-eyeletted and their intended use, that's to be expected.
I bought mine on eBay last year for less than $100 a pair delivered but they are somewhat pricier now and silvers are more $ than black ones.
Thanks for the Mavic recommendations. Price is good compared to some of the other rims I was looking at.

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
It was the style in the early to mid 70's not to put brake cable guides on the top tube. I did the same combination of bosses on the 1st frame I made at Ellis Briggs in the UK in 1975 (left the TT guides off). In fact decent looking brake cable guides weren't available from suppliers until a year or two or three later going by my memory.

Campy triples were/are not that common and the small ring was a 36. Jim's machining abilities allowed him to put on a 32. What is the inner chainring size on your bike?
The cable guide thing doesn’t bother me. I'll use what I have unless I go crazy and start moving cantilever posts. The water bottle mounts are a threaded stud with an Allen nut. Was this common?

Inner is a 36 tooth so I’m assuming no additional machining was done.
Old 09-07-23, 09:06 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Liked 220 Times in 145 Posts
I wish Jim was still here to comment
I guess I missed something, what happened to Jim? I saw him posted somewhat recently.
Old 09-07-23, 09:20 AM
hopperja

Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
There was an argument on another thread.

8/16/23 he wrote: "...Plus, it feels like a personal insult. It makes me want to pull the plug on Bike Forum. Jim Merz."

Unfortunately for all of us, this was his last post on Bike Forums. Hopefully he'll be back.
Old 09-07-23, 09:26 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Liked 2,015 Times in 679 Posts
The cable guide thing doesn’t bother me. I'll use what I have unless I go crazy and start moving cantilever posts. The water bottle mounts are a threaded stud with an Allen nut. Was this common?
No it was not common. Bill Hurlow built me a frame in the UK in 1974 that had studs instead of a hole for water bottle mounts. The purpose I presume was to keep water out of the inside of the down tube. This would be a bigger consideration on a touring bike with greater exposer to the elements.

It is easy enough for any frame builder to add whatever style of brake cable guides on the top tube you might want. That is if you are going to repaint it. A word of caution is that the popular style starting in the later 70's to have 3 open ended guides were water and sweat collectors. I've repainted a lot of bikes where that was the place rust started.
Old 09-07-23, 09:46 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,582 Posts
The water bottle mounts are a threaded stud with an Allen nut. Was this common?
That's the way they are on my 1973 De Rosa. I've never seen another frame that I noticed had them.
Old 09-07-23, 10:57 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,808 Times in 3,892 Posts
Thanks for the Mavic recommendations. Price is good compared to some of the other rims I was looking at.

Inner is a 36 tooth so I’m assuming no additional machining was done.
The water bottle studs were a Merz thing, don't lose the nuts, at least 3 of mine have them.

I have a Bottecchia that was owned by a PDX stalwart that has them too and was repainted but Merz and DiNucci said they didn't but them on it so others were obviously doing it too.
Old 12-05-23, 11:51 AM
RustyJames 

Update -

I started cleaning the front rack. Pics show 1/2 of rack that was mostly cleaned up. Fair amount of chrome plating flaking off.

Next up, I’m trying to decide what color to paint the frame and fork. Darkish purple is a strong candidate.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 12-05-23, 12:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Update -

I started cleaning the front rack. Pics show 1/2 of rack that was mostly cleaned up. Fair amount of chrome plating flaking off.

Next up, I’m trying to decide what color to paint the frame and fork. Darkish purple is a strong candidate.
Fantastic, lucky the racks are there and still viable given the condition, I would ask Jack about painting them unless you're prepared ti step way up on chrome, I think he can get that done too if you really want.

Maybe black racks and Deep Purple.
Old 12-05-23, 12:40 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Liked 1,498 Times in 186 Posts
I'm back on Bike Forums. The racks are pretty rusty. I would get a chrome shop, if any still exist in Oregon (they are almost all gone in CA), to strip the chrome/nickel plating down to bare steel. Then get the racks bead blasted. The cheaper way of refinishing them is painting, powder coating will last longer than normal paint if done correctly. Originally my racks were bead blasted and nickel/chrome "as is" plated, a very durable finish. This is much less labor intensive than a polished chrome finish, so is less expensive. But there are so many ways a chrome plater can screw things up. The plating must be thin, adding a copper base plating is to be avoided. If the plating builds up inside the threads then it's really almost impossible to fix without stripping and starting over. Any professional bike frame painter can obtain approved (by me) Merz frame decals from https://sssink.com/. They don't sell decals to the public.
Old 12-05-23, 04:46 PM
Robvolz 

Here in Oregon, I use Oregon City's Silver Star Plating which ships weekly to Nampa Idaho. I've used them for Alfa bumpers and and have been pleased.
Old 12-05-23, 05:17 PM
RustyJames 

Portlandjim I love chrome but there are few platers and quality seems to vary so I’m eventually going to have the racks powder coated. I also have concerns with the chrome plating process so PC is fine with me.

Also, you and I chatted offline about moving the canti posts for 700c wheels so I will add that to the to-do list.
Old 12-05-23, 05:18 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Robvolz
Here in Oregon, I use Oregon City's Silver Star Plating which ships weekly to Nampa Idaho. I've used them for Alfa bumpers and and have been pleased.
Recently?
Old 06-12-24, 12:25 PM
Robvolz 

yes. I use them all the time, including some vintage bath fixtures. 6 weeks is their turn-around.

I haven't used them for bike parts, because I use St Louis plating, so much cheaper but takes min 6 months.