Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why so little word on SunTour hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why so little word on SunTour hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 09:11 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My understanding is the same as @T-Mar's. Those companies formed the JEX marketing group so they could better compete with Shimano. Consumers like their components made by one company, to the extent possible. So after a while, we saw fewer Sanshin (Sunshine) hubs, Dia Compe brakes, and Sugino cranks, and we saw those components with the SunTour brand on them, even though the manufacturing plants were the same as always.

A French group called Spidel did this, too, right before they went out of business. It included MAFAC brakes, Simplex derailleurs, and Stronglight cranks.

In both cases, I don't think the failure was due to the fact that the groups were separate companies branding as if they were one company.
Frank Berto wrote an article, called Sunset for Suntour, that outlines the history of Suntour and the factors that led to its demise.

Sunset for SunTour
Old 09-10-18, 09:54 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Suntour was just a brand name, owned by Maeda Industries. Maeda Ind. was the driving force behind everything branded Suntour. When Maeda (meaning chairman J. Kawai) perceived a need to offer complete component groups, they worked with their JEX partners to develop and produce the Suntour-branded components necessary to form a coherent grouppo. Early on some of those parts were just rebranded (Sanshin ProAm/Superbe hubs; MKS Unique Custom/Spb pedals), but by the time Spb Pro was released most of the outsourced parts were Suntour exclusives.

Shimano wasn't very different at first, they had JBM (Japanese Bicycle Manufacturers) before Maeda had JEX, with KKT making Shimano pedals, SR making Shimano cranks & probably seatposts, Suzue making Shimano hubs, etc. As Shimano grew they brought a lot of this manufacturing in-house, or became majority shareholders in their suppliers. Probably the only reason SR decided to merge with Suntour was Shimano bringing all their product in-house. When you only have one customer, and they cut you off, where do you go?

The thing about JEX was that, before indexing, bike mfg product managers weren't always spec'ing complete groups---they would try to spec a Suntour drivetrain w/DiaCompe-branded brakes, Sugino-branded cranks, MKS pedals, etc. Suntour didn't have Shimano's monopolistic mindframe or power to stop them, but it made them mighty angry. I was at a spec meeting with maybe Schwinn, where DiaCompe snagged brake spec on one model, and the Suntour account mgr was hopping angry. For months, anybody mentioning Yoshigai in the office triggered an angry rant from him.

DiaCompe, by the way, was also just a brand name, owned by Yoshigai Industries. In Japan they were usually referred to internally as Yoshigai; DiaCompe was only used when discussing specific components, or DiaCompe USA.

Shimano wouldn't allow product mgs to break up groups, by either pricing the individual components impossibly high when spec'd individually, or quoting impossibly long lead times for non-group orders. Somebody sued them in the US for monopolistic practices and won, but by that time indexing was happening and not many product managers were looking to spec anything but Shimano.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
My understanding was that SunTour was mainly a design house, and contracted out for manufacturing. E.g. Maeda Industries for freewheels and derailleurs, Sanshin for hubs, Sugino for cranks, Mikashima for pedals, etc.

Last edited by pcb; 09-10-18 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 10:21 PM
pcb 

Berto IMO is off on some of the details, but his general outline is pretty accurate. Maeda was hurting for both capital and manpower at a time when ATBs and indexing were increasing product complexity and shortening lead times. And J. Kawai's top-down management and product development made the problem worse.

One thing Berto didn't mention was Japan's lack of confidence in Suntour USA's pulse on the US market, and value in pre-production product testing. Long story short is most of the later product that failed in the market (ie, the US market didn't need/want it) or failed in the field (ie, insufficiently tested in Japan, breaks quickly in the US) was sent to Suntour USA for evaluation/testing after it was too late to make any changes. We'd get something useless, or that broke quickly, only to be told: "We already made the molds, can't make any changes." You could try to argue that engineering didn't have enough time, but they had enough time to test product in Japan before making the molds, and FedEx existed, so we could get stuff next day. And all it took was a fax asking "What do you think about this?" Didn't happen.

In fact, they usually didn't believe us when something broke. Pre-digital days, we couldn't shoot digipix/video and upload it, so we'd rush samples to the usual suspects, guys who broke lots of stuff, and rush the broken bits back to Japan. And they'd say Oh NO! What are we going to do?...

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Frank Berto wrote an article, called Sunset for Suntour, that outlines the history of Suntour and the factors that led to its demise.

Sunset for SunTour
Old 09-10-18, 10:24 PM
pcb 

You could argue that in the pre-indexing world. From '83-'84 onwards there were lots of under-designed, insufficiently-tested Suntour products rushed to market.

Originally Posted by Cl904
I’ve noticed that the general consensus is Suntour made stuff that was as good or better than anyone else. Every piece of superbe pro labeled gear I’ve ever used is basically flawless.
Old 09-11-18, 04:59 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Great info @pcb. Were you working for Suntour at the time?
Old 09-12-18, 09:13 PM
pcb 

Yessir, Suntour USA '84-'87, Maeda Kogyo '88-'89. Joined the season of "doesn't click, doesn't sell," and it was mostly a slow death spiral from there. Mostly great folks with mostly great intentions, doomed by lack of capital and poor Japan-side management.

Originally Posted by Shrevvy
Great info @pcb. Were you working for Suntour at the time?
Old 09-13-18, 09:09 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 357 Posts
The inter-cooperative manufacturing/ownership structure of keiretsu is something that is foreign to most Americans but is quite common in Japan, and has been since the rebuilding their industrial machine after WWII. It's considered one of the main reasons Japan got so good, so fast, on many manufacturing tangents.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-10-22, 02:40 PM
twobiscuits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Q on XC v. XC9000 hubs

I have a Q about SunTour hubs. I have a pair of XC 9000s (threaded freewheel version) on my 32 yo Alves bike (Alves = framebuilder Charles Ralph, in Scotland) and basically I couldn't expect any more from a hub. Solid threaded axle = indestructible, it would seem, and a while ago I got the tools and gave them their 2nd set of bearings = easy. I’ve also just bought and tried out an IRD freewheel and it works fine, so as far as I'm concerned, the hubs have an unlimited future.

Now I've just picked up a Mercian frame of about the same age, same 126 mm rear dropout spacing, and I'm looking at a pair of NOS SunTour XC hubs. I basically want to build up a very similar bike with just a slightly smaller frame, & very attracted to the idea of sticking to the thing that works. Question is, are the XCs the same thing? The XCs are a year or two earlier than the XC 9000s. Are they SunTour's first cartridge-bearing hubs?

Two points in particular:
  1. Over on Velobase there's a comment to the effect that these have an odd sized bearing you can't get. I find that highly implausible. The XC 9000s have 6001 12-28 bearings. Anyone know what bearings are in the XCs? Oops I can't post a link bc I'm new here, but it's not too hard to find.
  2. There's this odd shaped thing on one end that needs a special wrench (is it the GreaseGuard thing?) I could make the wrench if I have to, but can't you just unscrew the other end of the axle instead?
Many thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this 👍🙏

Last edited by twobiscuits; 03-11-22 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-10-22, 06:22 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 151 Posts
I just picked up a vintage wheelset for a Bianchi build, the rear is Suntour and the front is a Sunshine. The rear hub is certainly higher quality, but I'm impressed with the condition of these after 40 years.
Old 09-30-23, 01:17 PM
twobiscuits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A post on my SunTour XC9000 hubs here, solid threaded axles, threaded freewheel and cartridge bearings. Interesting combination. https://www.twobiscuits.at/bikes/3815/
Likes For twobiscuits:
Old 09-30-23, 05:17 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by twobiscuits
A post on my SunTour XC9000 hubs here, solid threaded axles, threaded freewheel and cartridge bearings. Interesting combination. https://www.twobiscuits.at/bikes/3815/
Nice writeup!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: