Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PSA: 700c Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 Gumwalls $35

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 11:47 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 227 Posts

I think this is a solid deal, and they look great on classic frames. 25s/28s/30s look they're in stock. IIRC some members have figured out how to peel the sidewall labels off cleanly for an even more vintage look.

Better than half off, and shipping is $10 for a pair (even out here to Hawaii)

They aren't quite as good as the GP 5000's but at this price, I can't complain. These have great road feel.

https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...clincher-700c/

Old 12-28-23, 12:24 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,752 Times in 1,804 Posts
Very nice tires. They look good, ride well and don't flat more often than Paselas, IME. Have them on several bikes, in 25 and 28mm.

28mm's on my Union RIni Wagtmans at L'Eroica in 2021:

25mm on my Eddy Merckx:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-28-23, 12:43 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 5,198 Times in 1,823 Posts
Nice price for sure. Went to order but they require email and phone # even if using Paypal so that's a no. Too many companies sell this info and it's not needed to ship me the tires. So not worth it to me. Seems like everytime I give that out I start getting spammed again.....
Old 12-28-23, 12:46 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
I think this is a solid deal, and they look great on classic frames. 25s/28s/30s look they're in stock. IIRC some members have figured out how to peel the sidewall labels off cleanly for an even more vintage look.

Better than half off, and shipping is $10 for a pair (even out here to Hawaii)

They aren't quite as good as the GP 5000's but at this price, I can't complain. These have great road feel.

https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...clincher-700c/

Please note that the pic and link is for the Corsa Control. The standard Corsa is also for sale. Just verify that you are ordering the model you desire.
Old 12-28-23, 01:27 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 413 Posts
That is a heck of a price for gumwall 320tpi tires...tempting indeed.

Incoming rationale: "I'll buy them so I can use them during summer after I wear out my current brand new tires".
Old 12-28-23, 02:17 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Please note that the pic and link is for the Corsa Control. The standard Corsa is also for sale. Just verify that you are ordering the model you desire.
Yep, thanks for pointing that out. The Corsa Control has slightly thicker tread and weighs maybe 25g more, and is a little more beefy. Need that for my roads.
Old 12-28-23, 02:27 PM
Andrew_G 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 69 Posts
I've found that bicycle tires which are heavily discounted are often 2+ years older than the purchase date - i.e., they're last season's tires. I've previously bought Vittoria tires from Excel Sports at a big discount, and they were older tires. There is a date code stamped inside the tire - MMDDYY or MMDDYYYY; you can check and confirm.

I now only buy bicycle tires to last 1-2 years, so that I have relatively fresh rubber on my wheels. I typically use up my tires by 2-3 years after date of manufacture. I similarly replace tubes no later than year 4. I was once just riding along and had a tube abruptly leak at the valve stem - the rubber split away from the base. I realized that the tube was fairly old, and I then decided to adopt a periodic replacement policy. I toss all bicycle tires and tubes by year 5, just like replacing an older car tire (as recommended by NHTSA).

There is little advantage to aging modern bicycle tires. I confirmed this by email from Veloflex, Vittoria and Tufo. In the old days, (per Veloflex) aging was necessary so that the vucanization of the tread rubber would finish up, and the glues would finish curing. With modern tread rubber chemistry and better glues, tires can be used immediately, although Veloflex said that aging ("seasoning") a very new tire for 3-6 months was of modest benefit. Keep the tire on a rim, inflated at low pressure, in a dark room (away from bright light, at least). Vittoria and Tufo said that their tires were ready to go right out of the box.

I recently bought some discounted Michelin 'Power Cup' tube-type clinchers 700x25, in classic black and tan. I look forward to test riding the Michelin tires in spring of 2024. The Michelin tires are identical to the Vittoria Corsa in both height and width, but lighter at 218g vs 260g. The Michelin tires rate very favorably and compare well to the Continental 5000, but supposedly have a more comfortable road feel. Both the Michelin and Vittoria tires size accurately on a Mavic MA2 rim which has an inner width of 13.5mm. Plus, the Michelin tires have rather small graphics, quite discreet.

Andrew G.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 12-28-23 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 02:55 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Yep, thanks for pointing that out. The Corsa Control has slightly thicker tread and weighs maybe 25g more, and is a little more beefy. Need that for my roads.
Yes, just posted that note so anyone 'quick on the trigger' would double check the model.

Currently have the regular Corsa in 28mm that serves as 'winter tires' for rides that turn out wet (able to safely bleed out some pressure). Corsa 25mm or Corsa tubbies in the summer.