Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Gravel Build - Heels Hitting Chainstay and Seatstay

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 12:57 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts

I did a frame-up build with a local bike-builder - a Cannondale Topstone Lab71. I spec'ed it with a SRAM Red 1x crankset and just took the bike for its inaugural ride. The trouble is that the Q-factor doesn't seem appropriate for this bike, and I wish the builder had warned me or anticipated that issue. Without forcing my heels to their outermost rotated position, they easily hit the chainstay and the seatstay.

Are there any options to make these cranks work? Or is the only option to switch to another crankset? I was trying to go a bit weight-weenie on this bike, but I'm guessing I either need the Force Wide power cranks (I don't think SRAM does a Red version of the wide spacing) or the XX1. Am I correct? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-24, 01:21 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 183 Posts
Simple. Get a wider bottom bracket.
Old 03-31-24, 01:42 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 282 Posts
I have used a product called Kneesavers since 1980. You screw it into the crank first then the pedals. I use the SS model but you can purchase it in Titanium also.
Likes For Rick:
Old 03-31-24, 01:54 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4590 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,141 Posts
You can't change the BB length on a crank that has the spindle built in like a SRAM. That's a crank change.

You can add pedal washers, go big with kneesavers, get pedals with longer spindles (Shimano offers this option on several models), or you can move you cleats inboard.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-31-24, 02:48 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You can't change the BB length on a crank that has the spindle built in like a SRAM. That's a crank change.

You can add pedal washers, go big with kneesavers, get pedals with longer spindles (Shimano offers this option on several models), or you can move you cleats inboard.
Thanks, Kontact. I am much more familiar with the older stuff.
Old 03-31-24, 02:57 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
I did a frame-up build with a local bike-builder - a Cannondale Topstone Lab71. I spec'ed it with a SRAM Red 1x crankset and just took the bike for its inaugural ride. The trouble is that the Q-factor doesn't seem appropriate for this bike, and I wish the builder had warned me or anticipated that issue. Without forcing my heels to their outermost rotated position, they easily hit the chainstay and the seatstay.

Are there any options to make these cranks work? Or is the only option to switch to another crankset? I was trying to go a bit weight-weenie on this bike, but I'm guessing I either need the Force Wide power cranks (I don't think SRAM does a Red version of the wide spacing) or the XX1. Am I correct? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.
In 1x 12 speed, SRAM has wide in most lines, but the Q factor just goes up from 145 only to 150. This is based on 2022 lineup. So barely a change, 2.5mm of the change if equal L & R.
Old 03-31-24, 03:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,605 Posts
that is a high end frame, did you buy it from the builder, if so I would expect the builder to help you out

it is a 68mm bottom bracket so crankset/BB would be expected to work.....

have you tried repositioning your cleats?

also dumb question is the frame the correct size?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-31-24, 03:44 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by squirtdad
also dumb question is the frame the correct size?
How would frame size affect anything about the stays?
Old 03-31-24, 03:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,081 Posts
... The trouble is that the Q-factor doesn't seem appropriate for this bike, .... Without forcing my heels to their outermost rotated position, they easily hit the chainstay and the seatstay.
I can see a narrow Q-factor causing your heels to clip the chain stays, but also the seat stays!? What pedals are you using? Longer pedal spindles? For example, I can only ride Ultegra SPD-SL pedals with the +4 mm spindles.
Old 03-31-24, 03:49 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Originally Posted by Rick
I have used a product called Kneesavers since 1980. You screw it into the crank first then the pedals. I use the SS model but you can purchase it in Titanium also.
Yeah, that’s probably a viable solution but 20 mm is a lot of added length. I think 10-15 mm should do it. My preference would be to replace the spindles.

Yep, I don’t think there is enough overall gain from cleat positioning and washers to get me where I need. Plus, it’ll widen the position on my MTB, which I don’t really want.

Anyone aware of aftermarket spindles for XTR SPD pedals?
Old 03-31-24, 03:50 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I can see a narrow Q-factor causing your heels to clip the chain stays, but also the seat stays!? What pedals are you using? Longer pedal spindles? For example, I can only ride Ultegra SPD-SL pedals with the +4 mm spindles.
Topstone stays only come up about halfway of the seat tube.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-31-24, 03:52 PM
justonwo

The seat and chain stays come out to about the same outboard distance. Aftermarket spindles would be ideal but haven’t been able to find any for SPD XTR pedals.

Yeah, the shop can help but I seriously doubt they know much about aftermarket spindles, which would be the best solution here. I’ve had to use longer spindles on my Speedplay pedals on my road bike.

SQLabs makes SPD pedals with longer spindle lengths but have no idea about the quality or cleat action.
Old 03-31-24, 03:57 PM
Kontact

Yeah, that’s probably a viable solution but 20 mm is a lot of added length. I think 10-15 mm should do it. My preference would be to replace the spindles.

Yep, I don’t think there is enough overall gain from cleat positioning and washers to get me where I need. Plus, it’ll widen the position on my MTB, which I don’t really want.

Anyone aware of aftermarket spindles for XTR SPD pedals?
XTR comes in 52 and 55mm spindles, so you could swap to the other factory part. Then add two pedal washers.
Old 03-31-24, 03:59 PM
justonwo

XTR comes in 52 and 55mm spindles, so you could swap to the other factory part. Then add two pedal washers.
I have the 55 mm spindle. That is the standard length. Pedal washers won’t add enough.
Old 03-31-24, 04:02 PM
justonwo

Originally Posted by Rick
Rick do you feel like they add a crazy amount of length?
Old 04-05-24, 06:21 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Simple. Get a wider bottom bracket.
That will screw up your chain line.

Better to extend at the other end of the crank. Your local bike shop probably does not stock pedal spindle extenders, but they can order them for you from J&B. I got these for a customer who had a badly messed up ankle and gained a lifelong friend.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-05-24 at 06:25 PM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-05-24, 06:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,081 Posts
SPEEDPLAY ZERO Clip-In Road Bike Pedals | Wahoo Fitness

Speedplay Zero webpage shows longer spindle lengths but they are not selectable!? What has Speedplay come to ...
Old 04-05-24, 10:28 PM
justonwo

SPEEDPLAY ZERO Clip-In Road Bike Pedals | Wahoo Fitness

Speedplay Zero webpage shows longer spindle lengths but they are not selectable!? What has Speedplay come to ...
Glad I have plenty of Speedplay pedals from the old days. I’ve always used their longer spindles. Many shops are selling the longer spindles and still have stock. I don’t think they are going away.

I installed the +15 mm SQLabs pedals today. Heel contact problem is gone. The first impression of the clear action is that it’s decent. We’ll see how well it works in normal riding conditions and over the long haul.

A friend of mine and I will be embarking on a project to make some XTR custom spindles. Hopefully, enough local fitters will be interested that I can recuperate some of the expense. Or perhaps eBay.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 04-07-24, 10:01 AM
Kontact

Glad I have plenty of Speedplay pedals from the old days. I’ve always used their longer spindles. Many shops are selling the longer spindles and still have stock. I don’t think they are going away.

I installed the +15 mm SQLabs pedals today. Heel contact problem is gone. The first impression of the clear action is that it’s decent. We’ll see how well it works in normal riding conditions and over the long haul.

A friend of mine and I will be embarking on a project to make some XTR custom spindles. Hopefully, enough local fitters will be interested that I can recuperate some of the expense. Or perhaps eBay.
It sounds like you ride fairly toes out.

I would go right to ebay. Custom spindles are a bit much for fitters - some of whom can't overhaul a pedal or guarantee the spindle won't break.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-10-24, 11:29 PM
justonwo

It sounds like you ride fairly toes out.

I would go right to ebay. Custom spindles are a bit much for fitters - some of whom can't overhaul a pedal or guarantee the spindle won't break.
No options for XTR spindles on eBay that I can find. Those that offer then are doing Ti spindles and aren't offering added lengths.

Sadly, the SQLab pedals are mostly meh. They have occasional snags when trying to disengage; one such event almost caused a crash at a stop sign. No thank you . . .
Old 04-11-24, 06:36 AM
Kontact

No options for XTR spindles on eBay that I can find. Those that offer then are doing Ti spindles and aren't offering added lengths.

Sadly, the SQLab pedals are mostly meh. They have occasional snags when trying to disengage; one such event almost caused a crash at a stop sign. No thank you . . .
I meant you should sell your custom spindles on ebay rather than to fitters. I am not surprised this isn't a current product - most people do not need their pedals that far out, and those who do just make do with the extensions.
Old 04-11-24, 05:00 PM
justonwo

I meant you should sell your custom spindles on ebay rather than to fitters. I am not surprised this isn't a current product - most people do not need their pedals that far out, and those who do just make do with the extensions.
Yeah, it’s not clear to me how commonly it comes up. I’m not 100% convinced just how far out I need to go. Without having a convenient test, it’s hard to know. 15 mm is too much, as I can tell from the SQLabs pedals.

Extensions add a LOT of extra length. They also add the potential risk for breakage in a component that will almost guarantee a fall.

I just ordered some XPEDO pedals at 59 mm Q factor and will add two washers. That may be though. The SQLabs pedals aren’t going to work. They randomly bind when I’m trying to release. Not surprising given how cheap they look.