Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a wee bit more clearance for tires.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need a wee bit more clearance for tires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 06:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4504 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,804 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Seriously hope you were being facetious, but these days we can never know. So just in case ---------
Franklin wasn't young at the time of the Revolution, and would have been well over 100 during the Civil War, had he lived that long.
Yes I was very much being facetious. If anyone truly believed that holy moly I would be blown away. I mean that is probably about one of the craziest things one could type.
Old 05-02-24, 07:03 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 83 Posts
Perhaps lowering the tire pressure will give you another 0.5 mm of clearance? I check with a few websites to consult for advice on pressure.
Most recommend 15 - 20 psi lower in the front compared to the back tires, and generally lower pressures for larger tires.
Have you ridden the bike yet? I also like to fit larger tires, but some of my bikes feel better with 25's than 28's.
Old 05-02-24, 07:53 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4593 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,145 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with sticking a tiny spacer in the fork dropouts. It will work just like a horizontal rear dropout with adjusters. I'd used a blob of epoxy and a short section of a nail or wire. It will come out with pliers.

More effective than extending the brake, but that is good, too.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-02-24, 08:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
Different brakes have different clearances on the underside. I just set up my second Pro Miyata with it's original very close DiaComp brakes. First thing I noticed if that there is much more clearance under the brake then there was with the Cyclones (also, very close) I was using before. With both brakes, I had to push the pads all the way up. You could barely turn a 25c by hand with that rear Cyclone. Spin? Maybe a 1/4 rev at most. So it's only seen 23c's. But with those DiaComps, 25s would fit easily. Those brakes are not lower than the bridge.

Campy doesn't have the market cornered on stopping. I'd look to find a caliper with better clearance and do my riding with peace of mind. (Put the Campys away. When you are tired of 30c, you can re-install them. Or make those Campys work. The pro hockey players of the days before face shields all knew that no front teeth was fast.)
Old 05-02-24, 08:57 PM
Kontact

Another thing to try is using the centering screw and manually centering the brakes can get them to have different clearances. (Start by checking that the caliper is pretty much in the middle now.)
Old 05-02-24, 09:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Make sure you carry a spoke wrench.

John
This is the answer.
Looking at the pics there just doesn't seem to be a sufficient amount of clearance for the seat stays to what I would feel comfortable with and the fork legs don't look any better.
I would seriously consider just going down a size. I do think your idea of the spacer on the caliper will move it out enough to not have the tire rub, but I'd hate to think what a small pothole, or just the wrong bump, that sends your wheel a couple mm out of true will do to your paint job. Its steel so wearing though the frame isn't an issue but the paint will be.
Old 05-02-24, 10:07 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
Get a SA drum brake. LOL.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 05-02-24, 10:17 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
This is the answer.
Looking at the pics there just doesn't seem to be a sufficient amount of clearance for the seat stays to what I would feel comfortable with and the fork legs don't look any better.
I would seriously consider just going down a size. I do think your idea of the spacer on the caliper will move it out enough to not have the tire rub, but I'd hate to think what a small pothole, or just the wrong bump, that sends your wheel a couple mm out of true will do to your paint job. Its steel so wearing though the frame isn't an issue but the paint will be.
There is acres of clearance for the frame and the fork. Enough so, that without brakes, this frame would probably mount knobby 35’s, if you’re into that sort of thing.

The issue is 100 percent the mounting point of the front brake. If the hole in the crown was 5mm higher, this entire travesty of a thread wouldn’t exist.

I’m honestly impressed with those older Campy brakes, due to their slim design they fit a wider tire than about anything else I can think of. I can’t think of anything I could replace them with that would offer more clearance.
Old 05-02-24, 11:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 973 Posts
I think the none of this is a good idea.

Anecdote time:
I once met a guy on a group ride with a Cervelo set up with minimal clearance just as the OP. The tires rubbed everytime he layed power down or turned, or leaned, or the bike otherwise flexed in some way as he was riding. I told him that as I rode behind him I could see that this was happening to his super nice, expensive bike. The third time I opened my mouth saying that he really ought to address the issue he snapped a negative retort and cautioned me against speaking to him further. I let him be. I had said my peace on the matter.

A few years later, his Cervelo frame was on a hook in the back room at a bike shop I had newly hired in to. Missing paint & holes in the frame exactly where you would expect. What a waste.

Go to 28's. What'll you do after a few rides and the tire relaxes a bit? That tiny fraction of clearance you have now, may not be there after a few rides. If you are absolutely bent on these tires, at the very least, a wider rim will lower the circumference a tiny, tiny bit.

Last edited by base2; 05-03-24 at 10:33 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-02-24, 11:15 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 881 Posts
Try (carefully) securing the front axle a few mm down in the dropouts and adjust the pads. A properly clamped quick release axle should not move at all once set, and is more than strong enough to take the shear load. John Allen experimented with this on rear axles (which see greater loading), and even ones with 0 mm of axle protruding from the locknuts didn't move or shift once the QR was tightened.
Old 05-03-24, 12:11 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 338 Posts
Shimming the dropouts is an old hack, though not one I have tried personally. I forget the material or object of choice, but a search might yield a feasible solution.
Old 05-03-24, 12:12 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by base2
I think the none of this is a good idea.

A few years later, his Cervelo frame was on a hook in the back room at a bike shop I had newly hired in to. Missing paint & holes in the frame exactly where you would expect. What a waste.
But:

Originally Posted by rosefarts
There is acres of clearance for the frame and the fork. Enough so, that without brakes, this frame would probably mount knobby 35’s, if you’re into that sort of thing.

The issue is 100 percent the mounting point of the front brake. If the hole in the crown was 5mm higher, this entire travesty of a thread wouldn’t exist.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-03-24, 04:25 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Just get a 28 for the front and save the 30 for the rear. The 2 watts you save by having a bigger tire will get cancelled out as it rubs the crap out of your caliper. The only reason you would need that size tire is if a smaller one at max pressure can't support your weight, in which case a road bike wouldn't be your ride.
or get a new caliper.

I had a bike that could barely fit a certain 32 on the front. Was fine in the stand. Put my weight on it and she rubbed, so out she came.

On another bike I can hear the sand/dirt rub against the caliper and it not a fun time, sucks to clean too. Think I just run lower pressure on that bike now.
Likes For slow rollin:
Old 05-03-24, 05:22 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
if you want to keep the brakes, just swap out the fork.

Since the frame is hand built, have a fork built to match but will allow the tire clearance to run the tires you want.

It’s a 2001, compared to the price of current bikes, how much could you possibly have invested in it?

John
Old 05-03-24, 06:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 1,851 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't see anything wrong with sticking a tiny spacer in the fork dropouts. It will work just like a horizontal rear dropout with adjusters. I'd used a blob of epoxy and a short section of a nail or wire. It will come out with pliers.
Except they’re non-adjustable. And will change the steering geometry, however slightly, by effectively lengthening the fork. It’s my personal opinion that this is a dumb idea.

Just use the tires the bike was meant to use. If you want to ride a bike with wide tires and don’t want to take shortcuts, then buy a bike meant to accommodate them.

By way of example: The Cinelli website says a Supercorsa can take 25 mm tires. Feel like your life will be miserable unless you can run 30s? THEN DON’T BUY A SUPERCORSA!

Last edited by smd4; 05-03-24 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-03-24, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,925 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Shimming the dropouts is an old hack, though not one I have tried personally. I forget the material or object of choice, but a search might yield a feasible solution.
IIRC a section of spoke is traditional.
Old 05-03-24, 08:03 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 994 Posts
The last time I addressed this situation I ground down an alloy spacer into a bevel that created a rise to the calipers when tightened.
Old 05-03-24, 08:10 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by smd4
Except they’re non-adjustable. And will change the steering geometry, however slightly, by effectively lengthening the fork. It’s my personal opinion that this is a dumb idea.

Just use the tires the bike was meant to use. If you want to ride a bike with wide tires and don’t want to take shortcuts, then buy a bike meant to accommodate them.

By way of example: The Cinelli website says a Supercorsa can take 25 mm tires. Feel like your life will be miserable unless you can run 30s? THEN DON’T BUY A SUPERCORSA!

Never seen these before, eh? Adjusting location in a horizontal dropout also changes the bike's handling.

But increasing the fork length by even 5mm will only increase the trail (the handling thing you can feel) by 1mm. So I think the OP is safe from careening off the road because of going to 30mm tires plus 2mm of spacer thickness.

I suppose you warn people about the handling danger of going from 25 to 28s?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-03-24, 08:25 AM
smd4

Never seen these before, eh? Adjusting location in a horizontal dropout also changes the bike's handling.

I suppose you warn people about the handling danger of going from 25 to 28s?
Of course I've seen those.

I don't "warn" people about anything. Just not a fan of silly shortcuts like you're proposing. "Glue some crap in your dropouts!" Please.

Last edited by smd4; 05-03-24 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-03-24, 08:52 AM
Kontact

Of course I've seen those.

I don't "warn" people about anything. Just not a fan of silly shortcuts like you're proposing. "Glue some crap in your dropouts!" Please.
So you would prefer to drill and tap the dropouts?

The whole point of the spacers is to make inserting the wheel to the correct depth quick and repeatable. Just like horizontal dropouts where the screws aren't structural or necessary.

If the OP wanted a permanent change, that would be a different story.
Old 05-03-24, 09:03 AM
smd4

So you would prefer to drill and tap the dropouts?

The whole point of the spacers is to make inserting the wheel to the correct depth quick and repeatable. Just like horizontal dropouts where the screws aren't structural or necessary.

If the OP wanted a permanent change, that would be a different story.
"So you would prefer..." Stop re-interpreting what I wrote. It's not a good look.

What I wrote was, "Just use the tires the bike was meant to use. If you want to ride a bike with wide tires and don’t want to take shortcuts, then buy a bike meant to accommodate them."
Old 05-03-24, 09:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7135 Post(s)
Liked 11,310 Times in 4,832 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes I was very much being facetious. If anyone truly believed that holy moly I would be blown away. I mean that is probably about one of the craziest things one could type.

I've taught college students for 37 years, and I've heard crazier stuff just this week.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-03-24, 09:25 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 184 Posts

What I wrote was, "Just use the tires the bike was meant to use. If you want to ride a bike with wide tires and don’t want to take shortcuts, then buy a bike meant to accommodate them."
Surely we can all agree that an excuse to get another bike is a good thing, right?
Old 05-03-24, 09:26 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Surely we can all agree that an excuse to get another bike is a good thing, right?
Exactly! That will be my excuse when the time comes.
Old 05-03-24, 09:59 AM
Kontact

"So you would prefer..." Stop re-interpreting what I wrote. It's not a good look.

What you wrote was "Glue some crap to the dropouts." Your problem is that you can't articulate what is wrong with adding a small spacer to the fork dropouts and keep changing what your objection is. First it is that they aren't adjustable, then that they negatively impact handling, then how they are held in.

Why not say "I don't like it" instead of making objections that you can't sustain for more than one post?
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.