Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 06:47 PM
andrewbross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Ross Bicycles

Andrew Ross here posted on this forum 20 years ago scroll back if you can; I am the grandson of the founder of Ross Bicycles; Albert Ross; Company originally in Far Rockaway(Queens) NY; moved to Allentown PA in 1977; father Sherwood Ross (google to read obit in NY Times which I wrote) took over as CEO in 1969 until the company went bankrupt in 1987 due to onslaught of cheap bikes from Taiwan 🇹🇼 (Schwinn , Murray & Huffy all went bankrupt too. For many years Dad was the head of the BMA (Bicycle Manufacturers of America. Dad died in 2013 with Jap bullets in both legs from tour on Guadalcanal in 1942-43. During the oil embargo’s of the 1979’s the company churned out 1 million bikes a year. If you need/want any further info you can email me at andyrossesq@msn.com. Tidbit; Donald Trumps dad bought my bikes fro my Granfather
Old 07-30-23, 10:08 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 160 Posts
Great thread! I read the entire thing! I found my way to this site while trying to educate myself about Ross. I met a “collector” of bikes and he has a Ross mountain bike that he believes to be an ‘83 model. I’m picking it up in a few days. At some point in its life it had a SR mt-100 a.k.a. “slingshot” installed and it looks like a suspension seat. New here so I guess I have to have 10 posts before I can post pics. So instead I did the album thing in my profile.

Anyways I look forward to giving the Ross life and doing some riding….
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 07-31-23, 10:02 AM
IdahoBrett 

Received a bunch of pics. I’ll post them in my vintage album. Turns out it is a 1983 Diamond Cruiser. Not a Mt. Hood.

Should I still get it?
Old 07-31-23, 11:07 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 679 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Made some slight modifications to the Super Gran Tour XV. Still a great riding addition to the stable.

When I worked in Schwinn dealership that also sold Ross, our Ross Rep' got excited about the direction that Ross was heading in the early '80's. This bike was a key reason. They hired Tom Kellogg and this was one of his designs. While I was impressed with the bike overall I was a bit disappointed with the crimped seat stay. I asked the Ross Rep' about it and he said that it was Tom's design and it was not exactly easy to do right. I guess that would be a signature design element.

The other thing that I was disappointed with for a bike of this statue was the modest paint. I didn't know what Taupe was at the time. I had to look it up. Like in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. @JoeBass , your bike seem to be original down to the cable housings (brown) and the seat (also brown). I was young at the time and would have favored paint more like what Fuji was using. Yea, a little flashy. The good points about this bike was it was made by a well respected custom frame builder, it had lightweight Ishuata tubing, the lugwork and workmanship were excellent, especially for the price this was selling for and it had good Shimano 600 components. This bike was aimed at more mature audiences, but it got my attention and it was a clear indication that Ross was getting serious about better quality bikes.

Given those things, after all these years, I still remember this bike well. Better than perhaps any other bike in the shop at the time. From there, Ross went on to embrace mountain bikes and made a series of well designed and executed bikes. It couldn't have been easy being Ross then. Imports were getting better and Ross still lacked the identity of Schwinn, Raleigh, Fuji and Trek.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-31-23, 11:58 AM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
When I worked in Schwinn dealership that also sold Ross, our Ross Rep' got excited about the direction that Ross was heading in the early '80's. This bike was a key reason. They hired Tom Kellogg and this was one of his designs. While I was impressed with the bike overall I was a bit disappointed with the crimped seat stay. I asked the Ross Rep' about it and he said that it was Tom's design and it was not exactly easy to do right. I guess that would be a signature design element.

The other thing that I was disappointed with for a bike of this statue was the modest paint. I didn't know what Taupe was at the time. I had to look it up. Like in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. @JoeBass , your bike seem to be original down to the cable housings (brown) and the seat (also brown). I was young at the time and would have favored paint more like what Fuji was using. Yea, a little flashy. The good points about this bike was it was made by a well respected custom frame builder, it had lightweight Ishuata tubing, the lugwork and workmanship were excellent, especially for the price this was selling for and it had good Shimano 600 components. This bike was aimed at more mature audiences, but it got my attention and it was a clear indication that Ross was getting serious about better quality bikes.

Given those things, after all these years, I still remember this bike well. Better than perhaps any other bike in the shop at the time. From there, Ross went on to embrace mountain bikes and made a series of well designed and executed bikes. It couldn't have been easy being Ross then. Imports were getting better and Ross still lacked the identity of Schwinn, Raleigh, Fuji and Trek.
Thanks very much for sharing your remembrances of the bike, VM! I've recently been switching between two rides- this bike and a 1975 California Masi GC. The feel and ride characteristics of both bikes are remarkably similar so Ross and Tom were definitely doing something right.

Last edited by JoeBass; 07-31-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-06-23, 08:07 AM
IdahoBrett 

Here is a 1983 Diamond Cruiser I’m contemplating buying;

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 09-02-23, 01:44 PM
JoeBass

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 95 Posts
The Ross Super Gran Tour XV climbs Mt Hamilton (with a little help from me).
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 05-03-24, 08:43 PM
ihm96

Bikes: 1983 Ross Aristocrat, 2023 Specialized Sirrus X 3.0

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Advice on upgrades and identification

Hey y’all, I have a Ross bike my dad gave me a few years back that was his. It’s taupe color and the serial # is 0483102604 so I think that means it’s a 1983 built in October and I believe it to be the Super Grand tour Xv but it doesn’t say anywhere . It does have an 024 stamping badge on it

I tried to post pics but am too new to the forum. I have been riding a specialized sirrus X hybrid bike a lot on 25-30 mile rides and kind of want to start using the old Ross my dad gave me as it’s still in solid shape.

Does anyone have any recs on any easy things to upgrade or modernize over time as I ride it? Also, is there an easy way to confirm what model it is?

the shifting I’ve gotten a little better with but also wondering anyone has a good guide on how to learn it well . Thanks for any advice, it’s much appreciated.

Hopefully can start to put some good miles on the Ross and keep the bug of wanting to buy a fancy Canyon bike away lol
Likes For ihm96:
Old 05-03-24, 11:57 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 679 Posts
Start with what your dad had on the bike. Take a look at the way the fork lines up to the headtube. Are they in line? Are there any bulges under the down tube or top tube? Take if for a ride around the block or so to get a feel of how it rides and if there are obvious problems. Brakes rubbing, wheels out of true, squeaky sounds, clicking sounds and/or difficulty finding a gear. Take it slow, just in case. The most important thing is to get the bearings, cables chain and brakes working right.

There will be some work needed to bring the bike back to the '80's or proper working condition. Once there, ride the bike, get a feel for it and then you have a better perspective of what to upgrade. Keep in mind that this cannot be a modern carbon fiber bike, there will be trade-offs.

For most of us here, those trade-offs are worth it. We like the way our bikes ride, even the way our bikes sound, how (relatively) easy they are to maintain and repair if needed.

You can post pictures to your personal gallery and someone may be able to move them. Also, make some comments on some threads here. You'll be at 10 post within 2 or so days and can post pictures yourself.
Old 05-04-24, 06:49 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
I believe your bike was made in April of 83 because the first 4 digits are 0483. Unless you have a good reason to think the 8310 is october of 83 I would conclude the former.

We can be sure of the year however, it is a 1983. It just so happens that I have a 1983 catalog right here in front of me. The Taupe colored bike offered in that year with the 024 tubing would be the Aristocrat.

That is a very nice vintage 80s machine with great sentimental value that you should be proud of and enjoy regularly. I can't wait to see the photos!

Last edited by BikePower; 05-04-24 at 06:59 AM.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 05-04-24, 07:31 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 650 Posts
Working on a Ross now, a 1978 coaster Central Park model.
after a few years at NC State with my buddies kid, it needs some play time on the coast!

As it came to me

First adjust and shake down ride.

Full blown rebuild with parts in fodder.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-04-24, 07:42 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
after a few years at NC State with my buddies kid, it needs some play time on the coast!

As it came to me

First adjust and shake down ride.

Full blown rebuild with parts in fodder.
gorgeous bike, gorgeous photos!!
Old 05-05-24, 11:16 AM
ihm96

Originally Posted by BikePower
I believe your bike was made in April of 83 because the first 4 digits are 0483. Unless you have a good reason to think the 8310 is october of 83 I would conclude the former.

We can be sure of the year however, it is a 1983. It just so happens that I have a 1983 catalog right here in front of me. The Taupe colored bike offered in that year with the 024 tubing would be the Aristocrat.

That is a very nice vintage 80s machine with great sentimental value that you should be proud of and enjoy regularly. I can't wait to see the photos!

Thank you for the info! That looks just like it. Gonna get some chain lube and set the seat height and tire pressures this week once the rain goes away and will take her for a spin. Been doing some solid rides on my hybrid Sirrus X bike but figure I can probably do distance rides a little more comfortably on this with the drop bars.

I really dig the Taupe look, its very classy. I wonder how much it cost back in the day
Old 05-05-24, 11:18 AM
ihm96

Originally Posted by JoeBass
Made some slight modifications to the Super Gran Tour XV. Still a great riding addition to the stable.
That cupholder looks perfect for that bike. Is it something you added or did it come with it when you bought it?
Old 05-05-24, 01:07 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 881 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
"Tempered lug" sounds like a slightly affectionate descriptive term for someone.
"Oh, my brother in law is such a tempered lug..."
Old 05-05-24, 01:51 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by ihm96
Thank you for the info! That looks just like it. Gonna get some chain lube and set the seat height and tire pressures this week once the rain goes away and will take her for a spin. Been doing some solid rides on my hybrid Sirrus X bike but figure I can probably do distance rides a little more comfortably on this with the drop bars.

I really dig the Taupe look, its very classy. I wonder how much it cost back in the day
It costs plenty. Probably 400$ or so in 1983 money which is about $1240 in todays money. Did your dad buy it new?
Old 05-05-24, 03:11 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
"Tempered lug" sounds like a slightly affectionate descriptive term for someone.
"Oh, my brother in law is such a tempered lug..."
HA! My BIL was more like a tempered thug!

I agree though, has an air of superiority.
Old 05-05-24, 07:54 PM
ihm96

It costs plenty. Probably 400$ or so in 1983 money which is about $1240 in todays money. Did your dad buy it new?
I’ll have to ask him, but I believe so yes. I just took a nice ride earlier on my other bike and stopped and got some chain lube and put it on the Ross . Need to pump the tires up but excited to test it out next day that it’s sunny (it’s raining right now sadly)

I’ve been trying to Google and find a good rundown or basic explainer on how to use the Downtube shifters but can’t find too much. Do you by any chance have pics of the owners manual in that catalog or know where I can find a basic rundown?

I kind of used them a little a few years ago when I rode the bike around the neighborhood but never really understood it and my dad hadn’t used it in so long thag his explanation was poor . I know the right one if I move it down toward the frame tends to make it easier to pedal and is a lower gear but I’m not sure what position the left one should be in normally .

I think last time I rode it I messed up while shifting and the chain popped off and I was able to pop it back on but would love to actually understand how to shift though the 12 gears properly
Old 05-09-24, 09:15 PM
ihm96

Took the Aristocrat out for a nice 40 mile ride yesterday, she rides like a dream.

Probably will get a tune up done as there is a slight click going through the pedal stroke but overall it rode really well and shifted great. I think I’ve mostly got the shifting figured out now .

definitely need some new grip tape as it’s peeling up and my hands are beat to crap . My left pinky and ring finger have been numb and tingly since the ride from how worn the tape is I think lol.

Anyone have any tape they recommend that looks period correct for these bikes and works well? Definitely gonna be riding this bike a lot more
Likes For ihm96:
Old 05-10-24, 04:37 PM
3speedslow

For the Aristocrat an
easy choice would be black synthetic cork. Great on the hands. HB tape is a change out item, don’t sweat the right/wrong question too much. Main thing is to get it riding!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-25-24, 08:30 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Took the Aristocrat out for a nice 40 mile ride yesterday, she rides like a dream.

Probably will get a tune up done as there is a slight click going through the pedal stroke but overall it rode really well and shifted great. I think I’ve mostly got the shifting figured out now .

definitely need some new grip tape as it’s peeling up and my hands are beat to crap . My left pinky and ring finger have been numb and tingly since the ride from how worn the tape is I think lol.

Anyone have any tape they recommend that looks period correct for these bikes and works well? Definitely gonna be riding this bike a lot more
beautiful original bike! Could I see a close up of the stem please? Thanks
Old 05-29-24, 11:23 AM
ihm96

beautiful original bike! Could I see a close up of the stem please? Thanks
from which angle? Is there something specific you’re looking for?

got it all tuned up and it rides beautifully now

Likes For ihm96:
Old 05-29-24, 11:25 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 3,163 Times in 1,802 Posts
from which angle? Is there something specific you’re looking for?

got it all tuned up and it rides beautifully now

Great photos, especially the (stunning!) top photo.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-29-24, 03:13 PM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Just picked this up the other day. Ross Mt. Whitney. The Shimano components have a 1983 date code, so I guess it's an 83 or 84? I'm going to start cleaning it up soon but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have some WD-40 and brass brushes, should that be fine to not scratch the chrome? Should I wash it first or will that make the rust worse?

It's mechanically pretty sound. I took it for a ride on some gravel trails the other day and it was super fun.

Likes For DIY masochist:
Old 05-29-24, 10:23 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by DIY masochist
Just picked this up the other day. Ross Mt. Whitney. The Shimano components have a 1983 date code, so I guess it's an 83 or 84? I'm going to start cleaning it up soon but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have some WD-40 and brass brushes, should that be fine to not scratch the chrome? Should I wash it first or will that make the rust worse?
Buy yourself a large container of Evaporust. You will need to apply it by soaking rags or paper towels in it, then wrapping those around the parts, then wrapping those with saran wrap or plastic sheeting to make sure it doesn't evaporate. Then, wait for at least 24 hours before uncovering. That should take care of most of the rust without damaging the finish.
Likes For davester:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.