Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front wheel issue. Opinions appreciated.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 07:22 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I’m tuning a friend’s bike and I notice a hop in the front wheel. I put the wheel on a truing stand and I noticed this piece of metal embedded in the rim exactly where the hop is. Someone marked it in the past with sharpie.

Obviously it’s going to cause premature pad wear but it’s a cheap bike for a casual cyclist. I don’t want my friend to spend money unnecessarily but I’m concerned it’s a safety issue. Perhaps the integrity of the rim is compromised.

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-24, 07:32 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 241 Posts
It looks to me as though the wall of the rim has worn so thin that a small piece has begun to break off.

Don't think he should ride this.
Likes For bblair:
Old 05-05-24, 07:34 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 363 Posts
"a hop in the front wheel": I'm not sure what you saw.
I think of a "hop" when the tire tread has a bulge or other high spot, or the bead isn't evenly seated, causing a low spot.

Is this braking pulsing, or is it an out of round wheel or tire?

What is that on the braking track? My first thought was a nail embedded in the rim, but how would it get stuck right there? Take off the tire and look at the inside of the rim.

EDIT -- from the previous comment: a worn rim? Now I'm noticing the braking track has evenly spaced grooves. Those aren't wear indicator grooves, but I think they are too consistent to be grooves from bits of metal stuck in the brake rubber.
Old 05-05-24, 07:35 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5905 Post(s)
Liked 2,772 Times in 1,546 Posts
That it's at the hop is pure coincidence. And there's no safety issue. IMO you have two choices.

1. Use a file or sand paper to smooth it flush with the surface.

2. Ignore it and let normal brake use smooth it out.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-05-24, 08:58 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 676 Posts
that sidewall looks pretty badly scored.

here in the Pac NW we have seen the black crud from winter riding become an abrasive and wear thru rim sidewalls over several seasons.

I know of at least on rim that failed, blew apart.

But in this case, just try to knock that peice out, true the rim, keep riding it

/markp
Old 05-05-24, 09:08 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Those are actually two grooves that are machined into the rim, maybe for water evacuation. Rim does not appear badly worn. I’m going to remove the tire and see what’s going on. Will report back.
Likes For hhk25:
Old 05-05-24, 09:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by hhk25
Those are actually two grooves that are machined into the rim, maybe for water evacuation..... .
The grooves are brake track wear indicators. When they disappear, the rim has reached the wear limit and needs to be replaced.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-05-24, 09:14 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3608 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,831 Posts
Rim looks like it took a pretty good pothole or curb blow at that location. Seems flat. I vote for filing too.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-05-24, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6329 Post(s)
Liked 4,918 Times in 3,388 Posts
Why would it be unsafe? What catastrophe are you imagining?

The braking surface on the rim does look funny in the picture. So that would be more of a concern to me. But the picture might just be at the wrong angle, lighting and depth of field to tell anything for certain.

I might try to flick that imbedded looking chunk of metal out with a sharp pointed pick. But I might also find that it's part of the braking surface that wore thin and crumpled up. But if the bike brakes well for the moment and that chunk isn't felt, I might not be in too big a hurry to replace it depending on what I'm going to use the bike for.
Old 05-05-24, 10:27 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That it's at the hop is pure coincidence. And there's no safety issue. IMO you have two choices.

1. Use a file or sand paper to smooth it flush with the surface.

2. Ignore it and let normal brake use smooth it out.
Completely disagree.

I have seen this before - the rim takes vertical hit, the rim bulges out into the brake track, then the brake pads wear down the high spot. Eventually the super thin aluminum gets brittle (work hardening from the impact and heat) and a chunk falls out.

If you take off the tire you are likely to find that the inner width is wider at that spot and that there is a tiny hole shining through.

And even if I am wrong, the tire and possibly rim tape needs to be pulled off to at least inspect that area. If this is what I think it is, it's going to fail during a fast descent where there is a lot of braking friction and the air pressure in the tube has gone up from the heat, and then it will jam in the caliper locking up the wheel at 40mph.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-05-24, 10:30 AM
hhk25

Originally Posted by Iride01
Why would it be unsafe? What catastrophe are you imagining?
Pretty much what the comment below you said. I’ve experienced front wheel failure at speed and I wouldn’t want to wish it on anyone.
Likes For hhk25:
Old 05-05-24, 11:35 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 277 Posts
I agree with two of the posters who say it has taken a blow and the 'hop' is really a 'flat spot' on the rim.
IMO it is time to replace the rim...just in case...or ride it as it is and hope for the best...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-05-24, 01:32 PM
FBinNY 

FWIW --- An alternate theory.

It might be my age, but I don't see any kind of rim dent deep enough to account for the artifact. Also, the OP said hop, not dip, so I'm thinking high spot, but either way it really doesn't matter.

As for the artifact --- I believe it to be a terminal burr, caused when (possibly) a stone got embedded in the brake shoe and gouged the rim.

To understand, imagine dragging a stick in the dirt. You'll make a groove and push dirt ahead leaving a small mound where you stop.

So, the stone left a small burr where the wheel stopped, or vwhere the stone was finally ejected, then future braking smoothed it over.

So, IMO, the issue isn't the burr or dent(?), but the groove itself. How much it matters depends on its depth, along with other factors.

From what I can see, it seems OK, but the OP might seek an opinion from someone who can properly assess the depth.

As I said, it's only a theory based on what I saw, but it is consistent with what I've observed on many scored rims.

Old 05-05-24, 02:20 PM
Kontact

FWIW --- An alternate theory.

It might be my age, but I don't see any kind of rim dent deep enough to account for the artifact. Also, the OP said hop, not dip, so I'm thinking high spot, but either way it really doesn't matter.

As for the artifact --- I believe it to be a terminal burr, caused when (possibly) a stone got embedded in the brake shoe and gouged the rim.

To understand, imagine dragging a stick in the dirt. You'll make a groove and push dirt ahead leaving a small mound where you stop.

So, the stone left a small burr where the wheel stopped, or vwhere the stone was finally ejected, then future braking smoothed it over.

So, IMO, the issue isn't the burr or dent(?), but the groove itself. How much it matters depends on its depth, along with other factors.

From what I can see, it seems OK, but the OP might seek an opinion from someone who can properly assess the depth.

As I said, it's only a theory based on what I saw, but it is consistent with what I've observed on many scored rims.
That may well be what happened, but I don't know why you would presume it can't be a safety issue.

The right thing to do is look inside the rim.
Old 05-05-24, 02:23 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 676 Posts
The grooves are brake track wear indicators. When they disappear, the rim has reached the wear limit and needs to be replaced.
Like wear bars on a tire ! so I guess that rim has lots of miles left in it

/markp
Old 05-05-24, 02:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 894 Posts
File/scrape it off.
The tire will likely handle the slight dip in the rim.

BTW, look exactly opposite of the valve stem.
See the rim joint with a slight dip?
Old 05-05-24, 03:33 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
File/scrape it off.
The tire will likely handle the slight dip in the rim.

BTW, look exactly opposite of the valve stem.
See the rim joint with a slight dip?
Don't know what you're seeing. The damage is over a spoke hole, not between them.
Old 05-05-24, 03:53 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 764 Posts
Seems to me measuring the brake track thickness is a good idea to at least rule it out if it's fine. If OK just sand or file it down as has been mentioned. It does look like a small dent from an impact and if when you say "hop" in the wheel are you just saying you can see the bulge in the truing stand or does it actually have a vertical hop when rotating?
Old 05-05-24, 04:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Kontact
Don't know what you're seeing. The damage is over a spoke hole, not between them.
I agree. You don't know.
I didn't say I saw anything.
Read what I'm writing.
Old 05-05-24, 05:17 PM
Kontact

I agree. You don't know.
I didn't say I saw anything.
Read what I'm writing.
You are using the word "look", but not at anything you can "see". Thank you for the brusque correction.

I don't think anyone, including the OP, actually is concerned with the flat spot's effect on the tire. Which is why I didn't follow why you were talking about other potential flat spots.
Old 05-05-24, 05:17 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3608 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,831 Posts
He’s suggesting that most rims have slight flat spots where they’re joined.
Old 05-05-24, 05:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

You are using the word "look", but not at anything you can "see". Thank you for the brusque correction.

I don't think anyone, including the OP, actually is concerned with the flat spot's effect on the tire. Which is why I didn't follow why you were talking about other potential flat spots.
I wasn't talking to you in the first place, but as usual, you have to insert yourself to apparently up your post count.
That's why you have been on my ignore list for years.
Back to totally ignoring you for 5 more.
Old 05-05-24, 05:30 PM
Kontact

I wasn't talking to you in the first place, but as usual, you have to insert yourself to apparently up your post count.
That's why you have been on my ignore list for years.
Back to totally ignoring you for 5 more.
You didn't address anyone specifically.

I don't know what my post count is. I participate on this forum because I enjoy bikes and helping people with mechanical problems.

I won't ignore your posts when you make illogical or unsafe suggestions, but that's fine if you don't want to reply to such posts. Bye!
Old 05-05-24, 09:28 PM
FBinNY 

That may well be what happened, but I don't know why you would presume it can't be a safety issue.

The right thing to do is look inside the rim.
Looking inside the rim won't tell you anything about the depth of a gouge on the outside.

My earlier belief that it's not a safety issue was based on a tiny cell phone image where the groove wasn't as visible, along with the OP asking about the burr(?), without mentioning the gouge.

However, as I said in the post you referenced,-----

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-05-24 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-05-24, 10:03 PM
Kontact

Looking inside the rim won't tell you anything about the depth of a gouge on the outside.

My earlier belief that it's not a safety issue was based on a tiny cell phone image where the groove wasn't as visible, along with the OP asking about the burr(?), without mentioning the gouge.

However, as I said in the post you referenced,-----

Again, I have to disagree. You can't assess the remaining thickness of a possibly bulged rim without looking at the inside of the bulge.

And you may see the inside of the damage seen on the outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.