Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Strange Bottom Bracket or is it Broken? (Vintage Bike)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 09:40 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I have a 80-90's Concorde race frame with a vintage Dura Ace Crankset. The other day, my crank arm started to unscrew itself from the BB and ultimately came off completely. The crank arm has a crack in the arm which might be causing it to unscrew. However, I'm not sure the BB is broken or if it's supposed to look like this. It looks like one part of the bolt, the "thread stem" is merged/a part of the bottom bracket and then theres just a small nut to screw back.

I have tried to screw the crank arm back with help of the nut, but after a couple of miles it goes back to keeps unscrewing itself.

Is this bottom bracket also broken or is this some niche type of crank set? Or can I extract the "threaded" stick that comes out of the BB, or is this an integrated part of the BB?
Old 05-05-24, 09:59 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 2,077 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub
Hi,

I have a 80-90's Concorde race frame with a vintage Dura Ace Crankset. The other day, my crank arm started to unscrew itself from the BB and ultimately came off completely. The crank arm has a crack in the arm which might be causing it to unscrew. However, I'm not sure the BB is broken or if it's supposed to look like this. It looks like one part of the bolt, the "thread stem" is merged/a part of the bottom bracket and then theres just a small nut to screw back.

I have tried to screw the crank arm back with help of the nut, but after a couple of miles it goes back to keeps unscrewing itself.

Is this bottom bracket also broken or is this some niche type of crank set? Or can I extract the "threaded" stick that comes out of the BB, or is this an integrated part of the BB?
You can remove all of the bottom bracket to degrease and repack. You can check for cracks, but a picture of the crank arm might help.

Its an older Bb axle, where the attachment is male, rather than the female of most modern BBs. It is likely that either it was not torqued enough and the taper hole expanded or the crack makes proper torque impossible.

hope that helped!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-05-24, 10:09 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 197 Posts
Did the bottom bracket cup unscrew from the frame or just the cracked crankarm?
That "threaded stick" is the bottom bracket spindle, and also is a standard one, the way it was constructed on most square taper spindles for years. Many inexpensive bikes can still be found with this type of spindle. If your bottom bracket cup is still firmly fixed in the frame, then it sounds like what you need is a new crankarm. I ask about the cup itself since yours in the photo is Italian thread and the drive side can work themselves loose because of the right hand thread on both drive and non-drive side.
You could probably best be served by completely removing the bottom bracket, measuring the spindle and installing a cartridge unit. By the look of that spindle, your bottom bracket needs the maintenance at the very least and may need replacement if there is any serious pitting of the races.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-05-24, 10:11 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,251 Posts
The crank arm has a crack in the arm... I have tried to screw the crank arm back...
None of us would use a cracked arm, except maybe to hang on a garage wall.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-05-24, 10:20 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 556 Posts
Wrong taper on the BB for the crank arms?
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-05-24, 11:40 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 277 Posts
It's just an old style bottom bracket. It is easily replaced but you do need three tools to do it. One is the spanner for the center ring...the one with the holes in it. The second is to remove the lock ring...the outer ring with the notches in it. The last is a hammer which is very likely needed to 'crack' the seal of the lock ring. It's not at all hard to do with the right tools.
If you want to keep the bike I suggest removing the bottom bracket and replace it with a modern sealed unit with a tapered, square or diamond, bottom bracket. Make sure you get the correct bottom bracket threading.
Replace the crankset...no way should you use a cracked arm and anyway it won't work with a more modern...at least compared to the original...bottom bracket. Then off you go.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-05-24, 11:52 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4546 Post(s)
Liked 6,496 Times in 3,730 Posts

Likes For merziac:
Old 05-05-24, 02:12 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,599 Posts
My impression is that the nut keeps loosening because that crack is in the crank. The crack is probably expanding when the nut is tightened, preventing the threaded stud from developing enough tension to keep the nut in place.
This is just another reason that the cracked crank needs to be replaced.

As a side note... I'm familiar with those sorts of bottom brackets axles (i.e. ones with threaded studs instead of being threaded internally) coming with low-end Sugino cranks. I wouldn't associate them Dura-Ace, although I could be wrong. The cheap Sugino ones wore out somewhat quickly, so it's worth pulling yours out and checking.... although you'll probably need a different bottom bracket assembly for whatever new crank you install.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-05-24, 02:33 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 56 Posts
As noted above, please inspect the crank arm for the crack that you mentioned above. A Cracked crank arm is seriously dangerous. It is not fun when they finally choose to snap in two, usually when you stand to apply extra force. I would NOT use any crank arm with a crack.
Likes For Steel1:
Old 05-05-24, 02:33 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
Common and undamaged BB. Broken crank. Throw the crank away.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-05-24, 08:33 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,599 Posts
Hi,

just out of curiosity.... can you give us more details about the crack that you found in the crank arm?
I'm visualizing it as starting at the four sided hole for the bottom bracket axle, probably starting at one of the corners. This is why I imagine that it is impossible to properly tighten up the nut on the axle.

I get the impression that others might be imagining that it is located somewhere along the length of the arm, such that if it fails, the pedal will suddenly break loose of the bike. This is certainly a safety risk, but wouldn't impact the ability to attach the crank arm to the bottom bracket axle.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-05-24, 10:12 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
just out of curiosity.... can you give us more details about the crack that you found in the crank arm?
I'm visualizing it as starting at the four sided hole for the bottom bracket axle, probably starting at one of the corners. This is why I imagine that it is impossible to properly tighten up the nut on the axle.

I get the impression that others might be imagining that it is located somewhere along the length of the arm, such that if it fails, the pedal will suddenly break loose of the bike. This is certainly a safety risk, but wouldn't impact the ability to attach the crank arm to the bottom bracket axle.

Steve in Peoria
I had assumed the crank is cracked where it goes on the BB spindle.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-06-24, 02:04 PM
karldub

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the helpful input! See pictures of the crack in the crankarm below...

Old 05-06-24, 02:40 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 676 Posts
with a crack like that the arm will never stay tight. You can find a replacement on ebay or other source.

/markp
Old 05-06-24, 02:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 3,088 Times in 1,757 Posts
I hope this isn't one of those "I paid little or nothing for the bike, so I'm determined to put no money into it" situations.

That crank would break in the not-too-distant future if you continued to try to ride with it. Possibly with nasty consequences for you.

A local bike shop should have new left cranks in stock that are the correct taper (to match the four-sided tapered bottom bracket spindle) and the correct length. Probably around 30 dollars or so. (Going on ancient pricing knowledge, but shouldn't be much more.)
Old 05-06-24, 02:53 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 676 Posts
putting "Left crank arm" into ebay I get many options for under 20 bucks.

but what do I know ?

/markp
Old 05-06-24, 03:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 3,088 Times in 1,757 Posts
By the way, to clear up potential confusion:

Concorde was a brand of high-end Italian racing bike frames available in the late '80's, and Dura-Ace is, of course, Dura-Ace, but this bike seems likely to be one of the low-end Concord(e)s that were sold in department stores and the like in the '70's and early '80's. And the Dura-Ace cranks would likely be from the first generation, when they were mid-level at best.

Could be wrong, but nothing in the photos provided so far suggests a high-quality bike, to me, anyway.
Old 05-06-24, 03:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thanks for the helpful input! See pictures of the crack in the crankarm below...

You are lucky this did not already pile drive you.

Any time you see a crack like that its time to scrap it, NOW!
Old 05-06-24, 05:12 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 84 Posts
Here's your chance to put in a modern JIS cartridge style BB.
Anywhere from $25 to $125 depending on quality.
That old style Japanese BB axle is not JIS but the Dura Ace Crank set is.
The difference in the tapers and set depths is most likely what cracked the arm when it was last installed.

With a new JIS cartridge, arm and proper torque, you'll be good-to-go.
The new cartridge will come with the proper crank arm bolts.

Last edited by macstuff; 05-07-24 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-07-24, 06:25 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Wrong taper on the BB for the crank arms?
... Is the reason.
It will happen again with a replacement JIS arm. It needs a new JIS BB and a replacement arm.
That crank set did not come on the bike, the BB most likely did.
Old 05-07-24, 06:36 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 169 Posts
No possible problems there — totally fine to ride.

(Sorry, just yankin’ yer crank stick.)
Old 05-07-24, 07:42 PM
merziac

Disagree on the mismatch, I have logged 1000's of miles on cranks and spindles that may or may not have been matched.

Never a crack or failure, ever, period.

Its more likely this was far overtorqued at some or many points in time, or flawed to begin with, the overbuild and wiggle room on these is well above most any unforseen kludge.

Likes For merziac:
Old 05-08-24, 03:23 AM
macstuff 

Originally Posted by merziac
Disagree on the mismatch, I have logged 1000's of miles on cranks and spindles that may or may not have been matched.

Never a crack or failure, ever, period.

Its more likely this was far overtorqued at some or many points in time, or flawed to begin with, the overbuild and wiggle room on these is well above most any unforseen kludge.

You'll have to forgive me when I say that's a Dunning-Kreuger answer.
The inverse of that is, I have seen it at least a dozen times at the shop over time and I've done it myself with a female axle version of the same type BB and the same 7400 series arm.

The issue is that the arm has a taper and is deeper than the axle square is long. When the serrated axle nut is tightened down, it forces the taper over the shoulder of the square on the axle, thus spreading the taper hole. It doesn't happen on the drive side because there is more meat on that side spreading out the deformity.
The mismatch is real and is easily and cheaply addressed.

The OPs BB shown is typical of a 80s/90s box store bike. It is not a JIS square taper BB, it is a shallow square. Those sometimes even originally had steel cranks attached to them. A Dura Ace crank of any ilk is JIS and has no business on that BB.
Might as well force an octalink arm on there. Maybe a cottered arm then drive in a set screw...

Advising people to continue the mismatch is irresponsible. Especially if it could end in injury... And it could if the arm chunks off while riding.
It's like saying it's ok for everyone to run stoplights because you do it all the time and you never got in a wreck.
Pfft.
Old 05-08-24, 05:12 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 197 Posts
If that's the original spindle, then it is a JIS taper as that's a SR SVX bottom bracket. The crankarm was probably not adequately tightened (thin wall socket needed) then ridden for however long until the arm split.
Old 05-08-24, 06:55 AM
macstuff 

Originally Posted by PhilFo
If that's the original spindle, then it is a JIS taper as that's a SR SVX bottom bracket. The crankarm was probably not adequately tightened (thin wall socket needed) then ridden for however long until the arm split.
Nope. ALL the nuts that go with these BOTL BBs have serrated shoulders that act as a lock. If tightened even snug, they don't back off by themselves.
​​​​​​Bicycles are the beginning and bottom rung of motive mechanics. Not a speculative science. Easy and Finite.
Next will come the metallurgical OCD guy and on and on...
Aaaand I'm finished.
You-all do what you do.
👍

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.