Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Shorts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-24, 08:23 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
Shorts

How many pairs of shorts should you have? One for each day or something else?
Old 05-01-24, 09:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,977 Times in 1,237 Posts
About three fewer than I had last fall, plus two new ones, so net one less. Seems funny that cycling jerseys wear like iron and last forever, but shorts wear to see-through.

Oh, you want a number? Five.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-04-24, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,112 Times in 2,745 Posts
As many shorts as you feel you need. If you are riding daily 5 days a week I would probably have 5 pairs and wash at the end of the week. The fewer pairs the more you are going to need to wash them and the more likely they are to wear out more quickly.

However on that point get really good shorts in real cases get bib shorts way more comfortable as it can keep the shorts in place. If you are buying cheaper potentially less comfortable shorts then I would buy fewer shorts and have more comfortable ones.

pdlamb you haven't seen some of my jerseys...my shorts have held up pretty well I still have the first pair I ever owned and I don't wear them anymore because the elastic wore out in the legs never did they get holes in them and I wore those suckers a lot. I have some jerseys with holes that I have worn the same amount as some of these shorts and they are less wearable these days.
Old 05-06-24, 03:39 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,205 Times in 568 Posts
I usually wear liners or traditional cycling shorts under casual shorts for my commute. (I teach 4th grade, so I personally would feel a little awkward walking around in just lycra shorts around the kids.) I typically wash the cycling shorts/liners after each use, but the shorts on top can go a couple days or more without needing a wash. I'd say at least 4-5 pairs of cycling shorts/liners, and 3-4 shorts to wear on top. assuming you are commuting most days. Breathable athletic shorts are fine, but cycling-specific outer shorts work better (better fit in the saddle and pockets tend to be less floppy when filled & pedaling). I have a few more than that to keep my options open. It all depends how often you are willing to do laundry.
Old 05-08-24, 09:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7380 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,478 Posts
I have more shorts than I need, and that includes "street" shorts and cycling shorts. I find that cycling shorts don't offer me much advantage. They're more aerodynamic for sure, but I no longer ride fast enough for that to matter. They offer somewhat better sweat management. You're supposed to wear cycling shorts without underwear because the crotch is able to absorb sweat. That's fine, but I wear underwear anyway. "They" say not to wear cotton, but cotton is fine for me. And then I don't have to wash my shorts after each ride. I usually prefer street shorts on my rides.

I finally learned why they say no cotton. It was a cold winter day, and I rode home very hard, wearing a winter jacket. I sweated heavily into my cotton shirts. I opened my jacket and the cold air blew onto my wet shirts. Lesson learned, and I have a wool t-shirt I use as an undershirt almost every day in the winter. Problem solved. I just don't have that problem with cotton pants or shorts.

I do wear wool socks whenever I wear socks. They prevent sweat buildup, and sweat buildup is bad on feet because it can breed fungus.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: