Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flying Tire Irons

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flying Tire Irons

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 07:37 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
As I said earlier, nobody seems to have problems getting the first side on. And if they do, I'd assume they'd take the hint and get other tires.

But, it begs the question, "if you can get one side on, why can't you get the other side on?"

So, to all those struggling, I suggest the key is in the answer to that question.
All makes sense, and that along with your note about kevlar beads may be a big help to her. As edited above, I relayed the info in the thread.
Old 05-06-24, 09:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 405 Posts
+1

Mounting tires is more about finesse than strength or leverage.

So far, after over 50 years, I've never needed tools to mount a tire.

In all fairness, I'm careful about selection of rims, rim tape, and tires, so my solution to hard fits is more about prevention than fix.

However, I also help others mount tires, so it seems that I've either been lucky or skilled.

However, to the OP, maybe the key is to not let go. Or if you absolutely find another way, consider tying a string to the lever.
Same here, until 3 months ago - a Schwalbe Big Betty defeated me. It's like a motorcycle tire!

Originally Posted by smd4
I admit to never having mounted a tubeless tire, but even then, I suspect there isn’t a tire I couldn’t mount using just my hands.
Like a friend of mine, but he's got hands like those guys who tear phone directories at shows...
Old 05-06-24, 10:39 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
A number of the tubes I patch received their puncture from someone else's tire lever during the last part of the remounting process. One or two little slits where the lever got between the tire & lever or the rim.

For mounting, I like to use two well-trained opposable thumbs in lieu of levers as much as possible, similar to others above. If I run into tightness, I massage the partially-mounted bead as deep into the center channel as I can, along with the opposing already-mounted bead. And once in a while, I have to resort to carefully using a lever, but only after the prior steps are unsuccessful.

And if all else fails, I do have a Jim Stein machined steel tire lever in the toolbox, which could probably wrestle on a light truck tire if needed.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-06-24, 10:47 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
...putting a tire on......
https://www.tyrekey.com/
Or
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5487663
Old 05-06-24, 10:56 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 393 Posts
Probably 20(?) years ago or more, I saw what sorta looked like a big crochet needle with hook, to pull tires of and on the same. Supposed to be widely used by bike shops.

I don't need levers to put on current tires, though do need to pull them off. High strength plastic, rounded levers, I first got in '89 with my new race bike, made in Netherlands if I recall, still work lovely.

When I was little, dad used to take off and put on bike tire with a screwdriver, frequently left holes in tube.
Old 05-06-24, 11:16 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
When I was little, dad used to take off and put on bike tire with a screwdriver, frequently left holes in tube.
At the co-op, if a person asks for a screwdriver, we often will ask if they are working on mounting or removing a tire, and if so instead give them a pair of levers. At the bike-rebuilding places where I volunteer, while we're walking around the place experienced staff will look to see if any volunteers are using screwdrivers to mount tires, and adjust the behavior if needed. Occasionally you'll get a stubborn volunteer who says "this is how my dad taught me, and it's good enough for me." And since we're not in the business of firing volunteers, we try to either move them into another task or make sure to check their product after the shift before it moves on to the next step.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-07-24, 04:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,078 Times in 1,965 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
At the co-op, if a person asks for a screwdriver, we often will ask if they are working on mounting or removing a tire, and if so instead give them a pair of levers. At the bike-rebuilding places where I volunteer, while we're walking around the place experienced staff will look to see if any volunteers are using screwdrivers to mount tires, and adjust the behavior if needed. Occasionally you'll get a stubborn volunteer who says "this is how my dad taught me, and it's good enough for me." And since we're not in the business of firing volunteers, we try to either move them into another task or make sure to check their product after the shift before it moves on to the next step.
gotta like them, "Don't tell nothing' types.
Old 05-07-24, 05:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked 5,700 Times in 2,878 Posts
For those who just can't do it by hand, the KoolStop Bead Jack works OK and won't pinch the tube.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-07-24, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked 11,187 Times in 4,781 Posts
I admit to never having mounted a tubeless tire, but even then, I suspect there isn’t a tire I couldn’t mount using just my hands.
+1.

If I can’t mount it with my hands, the tire gets returned.
Old 05-07-24, 06:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5898 Post(s)
Liked 2,762 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
+1.

If I can’t mount it with my hands, the tire gets returned.
Agree 100%.

I think it's incredibly foolish to ride tires that are overly difficult to mount.

If you struggle to mount them under ideal conditions at home, how will you manage when you get a flat on a cold rainy night.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-07-24 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-07-24, 07:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
For mounting, I like to use two well-trained opposable thumbs in lieu of levers as much as possible, similar to others above.
You mean on top of my should-be-done-daily balance exercises, body-weight and weight-lifting exercise, and stretching, I need to start training my thumbs too?

Old 05-07-24, 07:38 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You mean on top of my should-be-done-daily balance exercises, body-weight and weight-lifting exercise, and stretching, I need to start training my thumbs too?

Didn't you thumb wrestle in your youth?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-07-24, 08:55 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
The tyrekey looks very useful - thanks!
Old 05-07-24, 09:37 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 366 Posts
Don’t use tire levers to install tires?
That's fine for most tyre/rim combinations but occasionally levers make a difficult job a lot easier; of course you have to be careful not to damage anything.
Old 05-07-24, 09:40 AM
grumpus

Agree 100%.

I think it's incredibly foolish to ride tires that are overly difficult to mount.

If you struggle to mount them under ideal conditions at home, how will you manage when you get a flat on a cold rainy night.
It's often not so difficult once the tyre has had some use, but I did have one set that I made sure to carry metal levers if I was going far from home.
Old 05-07-24, 09:42 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked 3,012 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
That's fine for most tyre/rim combinations but occasionally levers make a difficult job a lot easier; of course you have to be careful not to damage anything.
A lot of home mechanics simply haven’t changed enough tires, often enough, to develop the proper technique and muscle memory to install a tire without levers. In a shop setting where you might change 10 or 20 tires a day, the skill develops quickly.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-07-24, 09:52 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
When in my young 20's and working in the shop's basement for hours at a time we'd start to play games.
You can fire 1/4" BBs at bike boxes really fast with an air compressor ...
Old 05-07-24, 09:53 AM
grumpus

A lot of home mechanics simply haven’t changed enough tires, often enough, to develop the proper technique and muscle memory to install a tire without levers. In a shop setting where you might change 10 or 20 tires a day, the skill develops quickly.
As I wrote, that's fine for most tyre/rim combinations ...
Old 05-07-24, 09:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts

I cook but I will never have the kitchen tool craft like a pro food prep/chef has. There are a number of filters that most all LBS staff need to pass through to keep in this field. One is how to fix a flat in only minutes. Andy
Old 05-07-24, 10:02 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Probably 20(?) years ago or more, I saw what sorta looked like a big crochet needle with hook, to pull tires of and on the same. Supposed to be widely used by bike shops.
QuikStik?
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-07-24, 10:02 AM
freetors

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I don't have so much pride to prevent me from using tire levers, even on tire / rim combos that aren't that difficult. I mean the tools exist for a reason. I have very good technique and I don't just try to hamfist tires on, but I could certainly see that there are many other people out there who haven't developed that technique and could do more damage than good with levers. I have run into plenty of rims where the drop center is just so marginally shallow that they barely allow the tire slip over.

As another poster said above, working towards the valve is the true, correct, way to install a tire. If you try to install a motorcycle or car tire any other way you will not likely be successful without damaging the bead. When you try to do those they will not abide bad technique very well. And good luck working these without levers or tools.
Old 05-07-24, 10:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked 3,012 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by freetors
I don't have so much pride to prevent me from using tire levers, even on tire / rim combos that aren't that difficult. I mean the tools exist for a reason.

As another poster said above, working towards the valve is the true, correct, way to install a tire.
The reason the tool exists to remove a tire, not to install it. And pride has nothing to do with it.

Also, just because you bold and underlined something doesn’t make it true. Or correct.
Old 05-07-24, 10:10 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by grumpus
It's often not so difficult once the tyre has had some use, but I did have one set that I made sure to carry metal levers if I was going far from home.
I used to make steel tire levers, and still carry a pair on the wired on bike. But they're strictly for removing, not mounting tires.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-07-24, 10:13 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I cook but I will never have the kitchen tool craft like a pro food prep/chef has. There are a number of filters that most all LBS staff need to pass through to keep in this field. One is how to fix a flat in only minutes. Andy
I've never offered tube patching as a service when working in shops, only fitted a new tube. At the co-op where my time was free and new tubes were not I would occasionally patch a tube.
Old 05-07-24, 10:20 AM
FBinNY 

WBITW, I worked in a bike shop where we had a decent number of penniless customers, including wheelchair bound Vietnam War vets.

We saved tubes from flat repairs, and when there were a few minutes gang repaired a bunch, filled them with air and hung them on a pipe.

When someone needed a cheap or free tube we'd use one that was still holding air. Those that went limp or flat were tossed.

Likes For FBinNY:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.