Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody care about secrecy on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anybody care about secrecy on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 04:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18516 Post(s)
Liked 15,841 Times in 7,439 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Captured a photo of the evening from our secret drones above Indy's house:
I do get them in the alley sometimes. Once made the mistake of leaving the trash can lid ajar. More often it’s possums.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 06:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked 5,047 Times in 3,115 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yup.

And it's not problematic merely because someone's bothered by the situation. It's because there are indeed those out there who gather such data, analyze it, track and trace the goings-on of people, capitalize on leaks and breaches, etc. The NSA's not whistlin' Dixie and twiddlin' thumbs, out there. Nor are the bad actors who break into such info as entities have gathered. It's all occurring despite our regard for that fact, irrespective of what we say about it. And so long as we keep creating a digital trail, the more questionable the survivability of such data (and what remains of privacy) becomes.
So what do you suppose these “bad actors” are likely to do with my Strava data?
Old 05-07-24, 06:17 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
When they are planning on culling out the genetically inferior people - they will use your Strava data & w/kg info to see if you measure up.

From what I hear, 4.125 w/kg will be the cutoff point.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-07-24, 06:21 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jughed
When they are planning on culling out the genetically inferior people - they will use your Strava data & w/kg info to see if you measure up.

Good point, I think I’ll get binned!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-07-24, 06:22 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,650 Times in 759 Posts
Don't you care that the Venezuelan spy satellites are using your watts to puncture nano tubes through rolls of aluminium foil, thereby allowing the 5G mind control wavelengths to pass RIGHT THROUGH!!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-07-24, 06:29 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 439 Posts
Strava's "Beacon" feature, you mean? Surely that's not difficult to see. Live posting of one's location might be fairly interesting information, if someone's wanting to come after a particular person (or person's property) who's known to publish such stuff.

None of which is really related to private bicycle ownership and use, per se. But it's all much the same thing, having our goings-on known by those who might abuse such knowledge. Just takes a willing open mind to see the possibilities. Criminals do.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-07-24, 06:58 AM
PeteHski

Strava's "Beacon" feature, you mean? Surely that's not difficult to see. Live posting of one's location might be fairly interesting information, if someone's wanting to come after a particular person (or person's property) who's known to publish such stuff.

None of which is really related to private bicycle ownership and use, per se. But it's all much the same thing, having our goings-on known by those who might abuse such knowledge. Just takes a willing open mind to see the possibilities. Criminals do.
I guess I’m just not that paranoid about my bike riding yet.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-07-24, 07:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
On the first day of class in Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer, the prof will tell you that "heat" means by definition the transfer of thermal energy. So heat transfer is redundant. So is means by definition.
Now I grant you, my first exposure to thermodynamics was in P. chem. But there "heat" meant the thermal energy contained in a unit of matter. Under that definition, it's quite possible to transfer heat from one bit of matter to another, and three ways to accomplish that transfer.

But I digress. We now return you to gormless nattering, already in progress.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-07-24, 07:27 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 950 Posts

Never wise to publicly advertise your whereabouts.
About 5 years ago I was advised by a LEO in LA County that criminals do study Garmin data to commit residential burglaries.
Better to keep your data private so your trends, like weekly Sunday morning long rides, are not used against you.

Several major burglaries of actors and sports stars' homes occurred because criminals knew the victims would be out of town on long trips.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-07-24 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-07-24, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

About 5 years ago I was advised by a LEO in LA County that criminals do study Garmin data to commit residential burglaries.
Better to keep your data private so your trends, like weekly Sunday morning long rides, are not used against you.

Several major burglaries of actors and sports stars' homes occurred because criminals knew the victims would be out of town on long trips.
Those sorts of people tend to have stuff worth the risk of getting caught stealing. If I’m out on my road bike, they’re going to miss the most valuable thing I own.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 07:40 AM
PeteHski

Good job I don’t live in LA and am not a major celebrity then 😂
Old 05-07-24, 08:49 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 439 Posts
I guess I’m just not that paranoid about my bike riding yet.
That such stuff occurs <> paranoia. Recognition of its occurrence <> paranoia. Sorry.

People can regard or disregard certain precautions. Regard of them doesn't equate to fantastical imaginings about things not happening. Not all such precautions will make sense for a person, of course. With the bicycle example in the OP, it's a simple enough concept. Extending that to other similar examples of non-traceability, many take some modern conveniences with a grain of salt, particularly those internet-enabling features having little or nothing to do with the essential function of the device. Times have changed, with such enablement, such data generation. Once was, in many communities people used to not bother with locking-up doors and windows during the night; today, that's a disregard most urbanites simply cannot afford. These other aspects are merely extensions of that same risk, the same reasonable consideration of suitable precautions one might do.

Yup. Pretty simple, really.
Old 05-07-24, 09:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

I entered 40 kg into my rider profile to increase my W/kg and reach the cutoff, but they hacked my bathroom scale and busted me.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-07-24, 10:24 AM
indyfabz

First, there was the Angle Grinder Army, whose members are lurking behind every lamppost just waiting to steal your bike. Now, we have the Strava lurkers who are just waiting for you to take a ride so they can break into your house and steal the keys to your 16 year old Camry with 280,000 miles on it.

News flash: You ain’t Denzel or Gaga, but go on feeling scared if it makes you feel important. Just remember: When you end up out of sight under a bridge after you wipe out trying to avoid an armadillo, no one will be able to hear you scream.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 11:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,104 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I do get them in the alley sometimes. Once made the mistake of leaving the trash can lid ajar. More often it’s possums.
I leave my trash can lids as trash can lids. Jars are cool but I would worry about glass breakage...LOLOLOL
Old 05-07-24, 11:40 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
I’m on my deck hanging with my cat right now, and I don’t care who knows it because I don’t have an overinflated sense of significance. Only my cat cares.

Some of y’all need to recognize.
Your cat may care.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-07-24, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I leave my trash can lids as trash can lids. Jars are cool but I would worry about glass breakage...LOLOLOL
I think it was a ‘coon that made off with some of my neighbors’ plastic fish in their portable fountain. Saw one eat a rocking chair once. And one tried to run off with one of my empty panniers while I was touring. That was in NJ, so I should not have been surprised.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 12:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Your cat may care.
My cat woke me up at 5 am this morning. He’s currently in the doghouse.

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m about to take a ride to pick up, inter alia, some veal chops to grill. Nothing better be missing from my crib when I get home. If there is, or I should get struck by a bolt of lightening, then I’m going to blame some of you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 12:40 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m about to take a ride to pick up, inter alia, some veal chops to grill. Nothing better be missing from my crib when I get home. If there is, or I should get struck by a bolt of lightening, then I’m going to blame some of you.
I can relate. One of my cats wakes me EVERY morning at 4:30 like clockwork. He wants kibble. I put some in his bowl, and go back to bed. If I have been up before that, and already put it in his bowl, he STILL wakes me and sits next to his bowl as if its empty. I pet him and he starts to eat. I swear he's blind. He's otherwise a great cat though. We found him while getting ready to ride the GAP trail in Connelsville years ago. We had just parked and were eating before getting our bikes off the rack. He was emaciated. We gave him some chicken McNuggets and put him in the car. We never rode that day. We drove back about 40 miles and went directly to the vet. I was going to ride my Surly that day, so he is named Surly, though his personality is nothing like his name.

The other cat, a Bengal, used to let us sleep as long as we wanted, until the Orange Spawn of Hell moved in. Of course the Bengal is a bit more annoying when she wants something. She goes to the end of the room and opens the vanity door, and lets it slam, over and over, and looks over her shoulder at us. Since that stopped working, she moved on to the bathroom off the hallway, slamming that cabinet door since she knows we have to get out of bed to stop her.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-07-24, 12:42 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 618 Posts

Don't worry; WE are watching out for you.
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-07-24, 05:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 2,095 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Yet here we are, typing away on a voluntary forum. Uploading our info to places such a Strava. Why do we do that exactly?
We've been socially engineered. We are not as in control of ourselves as we like to believe. Our base human desires have been hacked.
Old 05-07-24, 06:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by downtube42
We've been socially engineered. We are not as in control of ourselves as we like to believe. Our base human desires have been hacked.
Skynet is becoming self-aware.
Old 05-07-24, 06:16 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by badger1
Don't worry; WE are watching out for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeoEKsuf3W4
Just look what happened to him.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 06:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Our base human desires have been hacked.
That explains why I can't quit thinking about call girls from Dubai.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-07-24, 06:50 PM
marko_1111
hard to kill

Bikes: several. all favorites

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I hide in plain sight. it's my superpower

Originally Posted by seypat
Secrecy on a bike could be important if you cycle to fight club.
also, it would appear some of us have forgotten the first two rules of fight club...
Likes For marko_1111:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.