Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flying Tire Irons

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flying Tire Irons

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 10:28 AM
freetors

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The reason the tool exists to remove a tire, not to install it. And pride has nothing to do with it.

Also, just because you bold and underlined something doesn’t make it true. Or correct.
The tool exists for both purposes. I'd like to see you install a motorcycle tire by hand. And you may very well be able to install lots of tire by starting at the valve, but I promise you it is easier the other way.
Old 05-07-24, 10:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 364 Posts
Back in 2010 (!) I posted a detailed thread on my tire mounting method. I still do it this way, and the tires are even tighter on the rims now.
How to: Tight fitting tire - easy mounting

The key to my method: This needs a tire lever with the correct shape and rounded ends. Pedro levers are perfect for it.

Lift less than an inch of bead at a time, slide the lever over a bit, and repeat. It's fast and effective.
I never use two levers when mounting a tire. Two are only needed to remove a tire.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-07-24 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-07-24, 12:00 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3614 Post(s)
Liked 3,035 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by freetors
The tool exists for both purposes. I'd like to see you install a motorcycle tire by hand. And you may very well be able to install lots of tire by starting at the valve, but I promise you it is easier the other way.
FYI: This is a bike forum. We’re not talking about mounting motorcycle tires or car tires or 747 tires.

I would definitely not enjoy mounting the last bit of tight bead next to the valve.
Old 05-07-24, 12:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked 2,779 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
FYI: This is a bike forum. We’re not talking about mounting motorcycle tires or car tires or 747 tires.

I would definitely not enjoy mounting the last bit of tight bead next to the valve.
You say tomato, I say tomahto.....

You start at the valve, I end there, and we both get the job done.

To those who are fine however they mount tires, no need to change. To those looking for a better way, it might be somewhere in this thread, so try one or a few till you succeed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-07-24, 03:31 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You say tomato, I say tomahto.....

You start at the valve, I end there, and we both get the job done.

To those who are fine however they mount tires, no need to change. To those looking for a better way, it might be somewhere in this thread, so try one or a few till you succeed.
In my experience, most tires can be mounted without problems either way. But when you're struggling with a difficult one, better start opposite the valve - sometimes it's the only way it will go.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-07-24, 04:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 5,721 Times in 2,888 Posts
And that's why it's good to get in the habit of always starting opposite the valve. It's no more trouble to do it correctly.
Old 05-07-24, 05:17 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
For those who just can't do it by hand, the KoolStop Bead Jack works OK and won't pinch the tube.
Originally Posted by grumpus
That's fine for most tyre/rim combinations but occasionally levers make a difficult job a lot easier; of course you have to be careful not to damage anything.
I looked at the bead jack, looks interesting. I can see a possible advantage in being able to lift the bead, and then with your thumb, push it laterally onto the rim. Whereas with tire levers, especially plastic ones (which I prefer so to not damage the rim) which are thicker, that additional thickness is added to the diameter the tire bead needs to be stretched to, to get on the rim.
Old 05-09-24, 04:55 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I looked at the bead jack, looks interesting. I can see a possible advantage in being able to lift the bead, and then with your thumb, push it laterally onto the rim. Whereas with tire levers, especially plastic ones (which I prefer so to not damage the rim) which are thicker, that additional thickness is added to the diameter the tire bead needs to be stretched to, to get on the rim.
https://www.amazon.com/VAR-Nylon-Tir...dp/B004YJ30M8/
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-09-24, 05:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 5,721 Times in 2,888 Posts
Good to see the VAR tool available again.