Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Paul Minimoto V-brakes more powerful than Shimano LX Cantilevers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 06:55 AM
robertmccormack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Does anyone have Paul Minimoto V-brakes? How much more powerful are they than Shimano LX cantilevers from the late '90s?
Btw, I'm looking at the Minimotos because I can use them with my road levers.
Old 05-08-24, 07:50 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 486 Posts
I haven’t used the minimotos, and I’m sure they’re fantastic. I will say I’ve done many thousands of miles of mountainous touring with LX cantis and found them to be plenty powerful. Good pads and proper setup go a very long way, as with any cantilever brakes.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-08-24, 08:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11049 Post(s)
Liked 7,597 Times in 4,237 Posts
How much more powerful?

- there is no way to actually know because a huge unknown in all this is how the canti brakes are set up. A lot are underwhelming due to not being ideally set up.
- Vbrakes and Mini-Vbrakes are usually stronger than canti brakes in their initial bite/grip. This is a generalization, but it also continues to be said for a reason.
- A lot of ground can be made up between poorly performing canti brakes and Vbrakes by using quality pads with the canti brakes.

Paul minimotos cost $360 for a pair.
Tektro rx1 brakes cost $40-50 for a pair. Quality pads cost $20. So $60-70 for a full setup.
...just saying.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-08-24, 09:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked 5,721 Times in 2,888 Posts
I put a lot of effort into a canti to mini V conversion and IMO it was a waste of time and money. Mini Vs have compromises, including reduced clearance and modulation. I suggest researching thoroughly before you commit. It's been a few years but when I was shopping there were better choices than Paul's. Cartridge pads, more adjustment, etc. I think mine were TRP. The Paul's are unique and do suit a certain aesthetic.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-08-24, 09:22 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Get your straddle wire as close to the tire as possible and fine tune your cantilever brakes. I've found V brakes don't require as much set up to get good breaking and I've always had slightly better breaking with V brakes but not enough better to justify very much expense or time changing.
Old 05-10-24, 06:01 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
I went down this rabbit hole 10 years ago when racing CX on rim brake bikes. I tried both narrow and wide set cantis, and also used the TRP CX9 for a while (which is a similar mini-V design as the Paul brakes). I eventually switched back to cantis and settled on a pair of Avid Shorty Ultimates which are fantastic.

Mini-V's are definitely more powerful and easy to set up. The downside is that the brake feel is pretty terrible. The levers feel a bit mushy and vague when engaging so it's hard to feather the brakes gently, which can be an issue on slippery surfaces (like those often encountered during CX races). The other main downside is that you have to run the pads super close to the rims, so your rims have to be perfectly true and any tiny amount of sand, mud, rocks, etc will jam up.
Old 05-10-24, 06:04 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How much more powerful?

- there is no way to actually know because a huge unknown in all this is how the canti brakes are set up. A lot are underwhelming due to not being ideally set up.
- Vbrakes and Mini-Vbrakes are usually stronger than canti brakes in their initial bite/grip. This is a generalization, but it also continues to be said for a reason.
- A lot of ground can be made up between poorly performing canti brakes and Vbrakes by using quality pads with the canti brakes.

Paul minimotos cost $360 for a pair.
Tektro rx1 brakes cost $40-50 for a pair. Quality pads cost $20. So $60-70 for a full setup.
...just saying.
Totally agree.
Learning to properly set up my brakes, and buying higher quality brake pads was key to making canti's work for me. I am able to get the same "power" from cantis with much better brake feel, mud clearance, etc.