Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Parents walking &/or running behind little kids on bikes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 08:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts

it's Springtime & there are more these out & about. here's hoping their kids don't get too far ahead, stay away from the street & stop at crossroads
Old 05-07-24, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6353 Post(s)
Liked 4,956 Times in 3,413 Posts
We have a lot of parents that don't ride a bike at all, but are walking around the neighborhood with their small kids on bikes ahead of them on the same left side of the road. Since the parents are walking on the correct side but the children are on the wrong side. And that will be the side they think is normal for them when on a bike.

I just wonder it that is setting up a few of them to become a statistic later on when they begin to ride in the road without their parents.

I'd actually be more comfortable whether driving, walking, running or cycling if everyone traveled the same direction on the same side of the road. When you get walkers coming toward you in your lane and cars, bikes or other in the opposing lane all at the same time, there isn't much you can do except stop when the roads aren't that wide.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-07-24 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-07-24, 10:56 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
We have a lot of parents that don't ride a bike at all, but are walking around the neighborhood with their small kids on bikes ahead of them on the same left side of the road. Since the parents are walking on the correct side but the children are on the wrong side. And that will be the side they think is normal for them when on a bike.

I just wonder it that is setting up a few of them to become a statistic later on when they begin to ride in the road without their parents.

I'd actually be more comfortable whether driving, walking, running or cycling if everyone traveled the same direction on the same side of the road. When you get walkers coming toward you in your lane and cars, bikes or other in the opposing lane all at the same time, there isn't much you can do except stop when the roads aren't that wide.
from what I can gather, yea... Far too many ride on the opposing traffic side when the other side has more than one option for use.
Old 05-07-24, 12:25 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 276 Posts
Pedestrians properly travel towards oncoming traffic for a reason, not for your personal convenience.
The scenario you describe occurs, what, once per ride? Whereas the pedestrian encounters vehicles many times over.
I walk my dog daily and can easily advise people not to walk with their back to traffic, unless maybe on sidewalks.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 05-08-24, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6353 Post(s)
Liked 4,956 Times in 3,413 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Pedestrians properly travel towards oncoming traffic for a reason, not for your personal convenience.
The scenario you describe occurs, what, once per ride? Whereas the pedestrian encounters vehicles many times over.
I walk my dog daily and can easily advise people not to walk with their back to traffic, unless maybe on sidewalks.
This sort of requires a duh!

I'm quite aware that there is a reason for that. However I'm not so certain that the reason really is valid any more with all other things considered. I also walk quite a bit with my wife. And of course when on the same roads as motor vehicle traffic, we walk into the oncoming traffic. However I'm comfortable walking with my back to the traffic too. Just like when I'm on a bicycle, the traffic behind me is required to respect my privilege over them and remain safely behind until they can safely pass me.

So why not do the same thing that is done on MUPs and other trails? At least here and other places I've been, it is recommended that all traffic keep right and pass on the left when on MUPs and trails. When on the road, the car that is going to hit you will hit you whether you see it coming or not. I know we all want to believe that we'll recognize when we are about to be hit. However I'd bet that most don't know that till it happens, or if they did it was still too late.
Old 05-08-24, 12:03 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 814 Posts
That's why I play in the roads with the cars

Old 05-08-24, 12:06 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
This sort of requires a duh!
When on the road, the car that is going to hit you will hit you whether you see it coming or not. I know we all want to believe that we'll recognize when we are about to be hit. However I'd bet that most don't know that till it happens, or if they did it was still too late.
Pretty sure if I see a car approaching with its tires on the fog line, I'm not going to stand there thinking "oh well, nothing I can do about it...." and not at least attempt to move out of the way You might be comfortable walking with your back to traffic, but that flies in the face of every recommendation wrt walking on the roadside.
Likes For 13ollocks: