Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I get tube punctures right by the valve stem.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 05:46 PM
Quilbilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, make that "right by the valve stem."
I just replaced a tube on my wife's bike for the fourth or fifth time in the last few months. The punctures are always about 1/2" away from the navel stem on the same side as the valve stem. Being so close to the valve stem makes them impossible to repair. She has a plain vanilla bike with plain vanilla Schrader valves. Any thought why this keep happening? Thanks

Last edited by Quilbilly; 05-08-24 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-24, 05:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 1,087 Posts
Do a youtube search: Bicycle Valve Stem Pinch Flats
Old 05-08-24, 06:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 903 Posts
When the bead is seated before pumping up-
Physically push the stem in to make sure no part of the stem/reinforcement is caught under the tire bead.
Add a bit of air.
You'll want a small amount of air in the tube to get the right feel & repeat pushing the stem in.
Physically PULL the stem to seat before pumping the tire to full. Make sure it's lined up properly, not pointing off to the side.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-08-24, 07:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,650 Posts
Also check the inside of the rim for sharp burrs - kind of common around the drilled valve holes.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-08-24, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,804 Posts
First off Vanilla and plain are two very different things. Vanilla is actually a quite complex flavor and a very delicious one if I might add. There are a lot of different places that grow vanilla and they all have different flavor components that make them unique. Sorry but I don't like it when people malign vanilla because it is so awesome and super delicious.

Secondly, make sure everything is properly seated and nothing is able to abrade it by being un-smooth.

Thirdly make sure when pumping you have a pump with a hose and you are pulling the hose straight off without wiggling or jiggling it at all which can cause issues. I have seen enough people just cranking on the little stem trying to pull a pump off or put it on and there is just no need. Be gentle and it will work fine. Or if you have pump issues get a pump that is easier to use. Topeak JoeBlow series is one I use and have sold for years.
Old 05-09-24, 11:27 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 358 Posts
Make sure the stiff part of the tube where the valve is attached is seated properly INSIDE the tire. And don't ride with a partially inflated tube.
Old 05-10-24, 07:17 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,121 Posts
Had a series of similar failures. I suspected poor quality tubes. Replaced the stash and the problem was mitigated.