Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When is a bike beyond being worth repairing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

When is a bike beyond being worth repairing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 01:22 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,205 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
My suggestion,, get a piece of paper and make a list of Everything the the bike needs and add up the cost in Parts ( Chain, tires, tubes, rim tape , brake hoods , new cables, bar tape etc.) Chroming, grease and Paint ,chrome/Aluminum polish , degreasers etc.

Estimate how many hours you will need to do a complete rehab , and Also the Time involved on the Internet and driving around town to hunt down the parts , and (conservative ) charge $5 an hour, and then Quadruple that as everything takes longer than you think.. TOOLS, you need cone wrenches ,bottom bracket tools , chain tools etc.. $$

If the cost of a buying a similar bicycle is less than the Math you just did , trash the bike and go buy another already rideable running bike and enjoy your time cycling around town .
What a terrible idea! I would never take on a project if I took that approach. We are supposed to be enablers, not dissuaders.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 05-10-24, 01:45 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,750 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
There was a time (for years!) when we could do the math, rebuild the bike, flip, and come out well ahead with enough funds to put toward the next project. Now, "coming out ahead" pretty much means buying low and parting-out.
Still, "coming out ahead" isn't the reason for being for most of us on this forum. We just like the look and feel of old bikes. We hate to throw away things that are still "good". We like to prove that newer - or more expensive - isn't always better.

Case in point: I am currently building up a frame from what once was a chain store bike, which I bought as a parts donor in 2012 or so. Its brethren have ended up in landfills long before that. Yet, it is my size, its geometry is interesting and it's technically sound, so I kept it and now I'll build it.

The plan with these projects is always to keep it cheap and use what I've got. And, as always, I'll be offering up the nicest stuff from my bins, like a set of MAFAC "RAID" brakes, a Stronglight seatpost, a pair of Honjo fenders ... And, as always, I've already bought stuff especially for this build. A nice TA mini front rack is currently on its way from France, as is some leather bar tape from Poland ...

And, as always, I will have spent hundreds of dollars by the time this cheap build is finished. Coming out ahead? Not a chance.

Old 05-10-24, 02:36 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,750 Times in 1,803 Posts
Unfortunately for me, those two things are inseparable. If I know I can sell it for a little more than I put into it, I can take on many more projects, doing posh rebuilds of vintage lightweights. If I can't even break even ... then I guess I'm riding more ... or gardening.
I see. Well, for me they are two different categories. I do occasionally flip a bike and make a few bucks. But those are not the bikes I want, and of course they don't get the nice brakes, tires or seatposts.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-10-24, 08:38 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I'm afraid that wasn't the point. We don't do the math. If we did, this forum wouldn't exist.
I was replying to ..".sunnyon"e " Spoken like a rider, not a wrencher" .

The point was that sunnyone thought I was some sort of cycling Noob . I gave a very valid reason as to why sometimes bike rebuilding/Rehabing becomes a money pit and sometimes you just got to walk away . So Yes , sometimes you got to do the Math.. I wouldnt pay $1,000 to Repaint an entry level made in Taiwan Bianchi in Celeste green .

Maybe Unless I was Elon Musk rebuilding my paper route bike .
Old 05-10-24, 08:46 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Any interesting backstory on this one, Manny?

Its a shame what happened to this bike . Classic 1973 Windsor with Original paint, full Campy and rode like a champ.. Except one thing , when I turned the handlebars my size 12 feet with toe XL clips always hit my front wheel, and usually at slow speed making quick turns I made a point of avoiding that , but a few times at slow speed I hit the front wheel and almost fell over .
A friend of mine bugged the sh*t out of me to sell it to him . Which I did. A month later another friend told me that he saw my old Windsor , repainted rattle can dark blue with modern Windsor ( the Chinese Brand) decals and shimano 600 parts ..I was bummed .
Old 05-10-24, 09:09 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 198 Posts
I will take some pics this weekend of the Olmo and post them here to see what y’all think.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 05-10-24 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-11-24, 07:38 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 3,666 Times in 1,463 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Just wanted to know if you were still following me!

Was that your Trek on the chain link fence? If so...probably fixable!

Citri-strip that bad boy, oil or gun blue finish, BAM.

Old 05-12-24, 02:57 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked 3,303 Times in 2,072 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Was that your Trek on the chain link fence? If so...probably fixable!

Citri-strip that bad boy, oil or gun blue finish, BAM.
Only if I wish to be skewered like shish-kabob on a hot flame... Not enough evaporust in the world able to remove the amount of rust.

Rusted through on the top tube, and bottom bracket area.

But it will be repainted with flowering vines...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-12-24, 04:08 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 354 Posts
I'm thinking some of these bikes haven't been made for many years.
So if it's not complete trash don't junk it, if nescessary donate it to somebody who will mend it.

This is a 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone (last year):

It's now almost perfect.
Old 05-12-24, 06:50 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked 1,770 Times in 949 Posts
For me, a bike is worth restoring (actually street restoration, I don't do chrome plating EVER, but paint and art is not a problem) when it interests me, is a good fit and available cheap. Anyway, this was in rough shape and given to me for free. The interest factor was there (I am a freak for chrome plated stay socks and head tube lugs...

I test rode the bike to ensure it was a good fit and offered a decent ride quality. Once satisfied, I did this and this set me back a few hundred dollars...

Sadly, I don't even ride it. The gearing is just too much for this man's old, worn out legs...

Now, I have to decide if this is a decent fit, a bike of interest and worth the $$$ and effort to street restore...
Old 05-12-24, 07:22 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 629 Posts
Still, "coming out ahead" isn't the reason for being for most of us on this forum. We just like the look and feel of old bikes. We hate to throw away things that are still "good". We like to prove that newer - or more expensive - isn't always better.

And, as always, I will have spent hundreds of dollars by the time this cheap build is finished. Coming out ahead? Not a chance.
Yup.
Old 05-12-24, 08:11 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 3,666 Times in 1,463 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Only if I wish to be skewered like shish-kabob on a hot flame... Not enough evaporust in the world able to remove the amount of rust.

Rusted through on the top tube, and bottom bracket area.

But it will be repainted with flowering vines...

A Trek in the garden is worth two in the shop

Old 05-12-24, 09:38 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 692 Posts
I think for me is when the frame has obvious structural issues or when it has some proprietary components that are impossible to replace... and I have skipped that rule in the past for really cool bikes.

But the Koga-Miyata RoadAce with the holes in the seat stays and bent chain stay is a good example of the former.

The Gazelle Friiik being an example of the latter. Still on my to-do list for later.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-12-24, 11:22 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 480 Posts
Hilarious ... I've been A Professional Mechanic for almost 30 years now,, from Helicopters, to Commercial Aircraft to 200 Ton Cranes. Building a Bike or Frame repair is a piece of cake for me. Heres some of the Bikes I built up...

btw, what do you do for a living ?
I took their comment to be pointing out the difference between fixing something for profit or thriftiness, and just for enjoyment of the process when defining “value”, not calling you a noob.
Old 05-12-24, 12:28 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 1,426 Posts
When I run out of money. That's when it is beyond repair,
Likes For iab:
Old 05-12-24, 03:14 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
There’s two kinds of repair - to the components or to the frame. In either case, if you’re doing the work, labor is free. If it’s done at a bike shop, consult them on the labor cost.

Gauging the repair cost for components is easier - you do research to determine the cost to replace the broken components, either with the same parts or new parts.

Frame repair is more costly and harder to do, as it takes more specialized knowledge and tools. Generally, unless the frame is of very high quality or especially valuable, major frame repair is not worth the effort. Dents are the easiest to fix, while structural damage is generally the hardest. Damage that compromises structural integrity, like crash damage, cracked joints, rust holes or bent tubes, will necessitate major repairs costing in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. It’s essentially like building a new frame, but with all the challenges of dealing with an old frame.

Generally, bikes that have suffered crash damage to the point that it deforms the fork or the frame (or both) are not worth repairing and not safe to ride as-is.

An “in-between” subject are issues like a stuck bottom bracket, stuck stem or seatpost, or ruined threads in the steerer tube or bottom bracket shell. There’s zillions of tutorials on how to remove stuck components - either you do it yourself and put a price on your own time, or you pay a bike store. Ruined threads might be repairable by a store, but in some cases fall into the heading of frame repair.

there’s many twists and turns beyond this basic approach, which other folks exploring those in this thread. But this was my attempt to answer your question as literally as possible.
Old 05-12-24, 04:55 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I was replying to ..".sunnyon"e " Spoken like a rider, not a wrencher" .

The point was that sunnyone thought I was some sort of cycling Noob .
I know you’re not a Noob. When it comes to biking, you’re way, way more knowledgable and experienced than I am. What i meant by my probably too terse comment was that you seem to value and enjoy riding more than wrenching. Some cyclists (me included) really enjoy wrenching, especially when restoring cool, older bikes.
Old 05-12-24, 07:26 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked 1,770 Times in 949 Posts
I can repair just about anything but some things are just not worth the effort...

Old 05-12-24, 07:47 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by sunnyone
I know you’re not a Noob. When it comes to biking, you’re way, way more knowledgable and experienced than I am. What i meant by my probably too terse comment was that you seem to value and enjoy riding more than wrenching. Some cyclists (me included) really enjoy wrenching, especially when restoring cool, older bikes.
Its all good , no harm no foul. Thats why I wrote,, "Hilarious" .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 05-12-24, 08:51 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I can repair just about anything but some things are just not worth the effort...

Wow, mine aren’t that bad.
Old 05-12-24, 09:02 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

If I decide to restore the Olmo rather than simply making it rideable are parts for old bikes difficult to find? I mean are there online stores that sell parts or will I need to scrounge each one individually?

Also-how can I find what components were on it originally?
The story on the Olmo is confusing. At one point dad was trying to find crank bearings for it. His Honda motorcycle shop started selling bicycles and parts in addition to motorcycles. None of the bearings in his shop fit. He took it to an old bike shop that used to be in Fort Worth called Mr. Bicycle. He looked it over then said it was a hand built Schwinn Paramount. The bottom bearing set for that fit so that was what we thought it was. Later on we had doubts mainly due to the gussets.
Several years later while looking it over I saw Olmo stamped into the steering head nut.
When I picked the bike up in ‘74 for dad it was old then, maybe from the ‘50s. It looked like had been used for racing since it had sewn tires and some other things I can’t remember.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 05-13-24 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-13-24, 03:53 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
If I decide to restore the Olmo rather than dimply making it rideable are parts for old bikes difficult to find? I mean are there online stores that sell parts or will I need to scrounge each one individually?
If you just want to make them functional mechanical parts for most mass produced bikes are pretty easy to find for the most part. It's when you get into reproduction decals for less popular brands or models or mechanical items for the very low production models and one off hand built bikes that it can get tough. It's "usually" not impossible, but it can be expensive.
Old 05-13-24, 07:43 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
If you just want to make them functional mechanical parts for most mass produced bikes are pretty easy to find for the most part. It's when you get into reproduction decals for less popular brands or models or mechanical items for the very low production models and one off hand built bikes that it can get tough. It's "usually" not impossible, but it can be expensive.
to simplify, I'd split it between modern parts that will get the bike rolling again vs. matching the original vintage parts that are on it. Vintage Shimano 600 and 105 series parts are common and easy to source on eBay, or via this forum's Classic & Vintage Sales subforum. The modern equivalents can be had from SunRace on Amazon or via your local bike store, generally very affordable (like under $100).

Without seeing a photo of your bikes, I can't say what needs to be replaced and what doesn't. Parts that aren't physically damaged in some way don't need to be replaced. They can usually be cleaned up, lubricated and re-installed. If the chains are rusted solid, replace those. If the tires are worn out and cracked, replace them (and the tubes) also. If you don't have the tools or know-how to dismantle, overhaul, and re-assemble your bikes, either take them to a shop or get ready to spend time teaching yourself how to do the repairs yourself + buying a few necessary tools.
Old 05-13-24, 08:33 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Catnap
to simplify, I'd split it between modern parts that will get the bike rolling again vs. matching the original vintage parts that are on it. Vintage Shimano 600 and 105 series parts are common and easy to source on eBay, or via this forum's Classic & Vintage Sales subforum. The modern equivalents can be had from SunRace on Amazon or via your local bike store, generally very affordable (like under $100).

Without seeing a photo of your bikes, I can't say what needs to be replaced and what doesn't. Parts that aren't physically damaged in some way don't need to be replaced. They can usually be cleaned up, lubricated and re-installed. If the chains are rusted solid, replace those. If the tires are worn out and cracked, replace them (and the tubes) also. If you don't have the tools or know-how to dismantle, overhaul, and re-assemble your bikes, either take them to a shop or get ready to spend time teaching yourself how to do the repairs yourself + buying a few necessary tools.
The components that are on it now are what dad installed back in the ‘80s. He removed the brakes etc.
I was thinking about trying to restore it to its original groupset but that would be really expensive.
I think the best thing to do is restore it to riding condition. Tires, tubes, chain definitely need changing but that is expected. I will try to find a vintage Olmo seat post clamp and other small parts but I will keep the Shimano brakes etc.
Old 05-13-24, 08:48 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 556 Posts

Case in point: I am currently building up a frame from what once was a chain store bike, which I bought as a parts donor in 2012 or so. Its brethren have ended up in landfills long before that. Yet, it is my size, its geometry is interesting and it's technically sound, so I kept it and now I'll build it.

The plan with these projects is always to keep it cheap and use what I've got. And, as always, I'll be offering up the nicest stuff from my bins, like a set of MAFAC "RAID" brakes, a Stronglight seatpost, a pair of Honjo fenders ... And, as always, I've already bought stuff especially for this build. A nice TA mini front rack is currently on its way from France, as is some leather bar tape from Poland ...

Reynolds tubing (assuming the decal is correct) and nice lugs - I would be thrilled to own that but I’m peculiar.
Also, I would keep the Halfords decals on it because of being peculiar.
Likes For RustyJames:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.