Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Proper photoshoot of the Pacenti - Classic in my eyes.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 09:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 5,204 Times in 1,827 Posts

Thought I'd share this here fully since I finally took the time this morning to finally shot a full series of it. Yeah, it's not old but it's pure steel classic in my book with light tubing, pump peg, chain hanger, etc. Geometry is certainly more cruiser style than racer yet it's proven very fast and comfortable so far. I actually picked this one up from Kirk himself after it languished for awhile on another forum. I think the short top tube and tall head tube put most off. I'm curious to see if it works well as a long distance rider/rest day rider. Although, the first couple of rides make it feel plenty racy so who knows. Maybe it'll just be a bike I prefer more and more as I age and maybe get less flexible.

Hopefully I'll have the completed Sancineto ready to share soon too.

18 lbs,4 ozs

Alloy wheels on this too.

Ultegra 11 speed build

Ultegra 11 speed build

Pretty sweet color and nice paint job on this one. Tape to protect it when the pump is one

Pump peg, as there should be!

I like the contrast of the orange with the blue

I pretty much still to basic alloy cages on all my rides.

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-10-24 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-10-24, 09:59 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

More pics:

Not a classic fork but not really any different from my old Lemonds and others with C.F. forks

Good enough tire clearance for me

The blue hubs are a nice touch

My usual dress up for the bottle cage

Nice housing stop/adjuster protects paint on the head tube

Yeah, it's tall

Ritchey Cockpit

Ultegra shifter, came to me with the usual sticking shifting all too common with Shimano. He said the bike wasn't used much and this helped confirm that.

Blue hub

The man's signature
Old 05-10-24, 10:02 AM
jamesdak 

And a few more:

Ritchey Cockpit

Ritchey Cockpit

Ritchey Cockpit

Tucked in seat stays

Seems stiff enough under me

Blue nipples are cool too!
Old 05-10-24, 02:48 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 2,649 Times in 1,104 Posts
Super crisp clean workmanship on the frame. Classically beautiful.

So, is he building frames now (again)? As in taking orders? Great news if so.

I got to know Kirk a little when we both worked at Match (late '90s), where we made mostly Schwinn Paramounts and a few Rivendells and some other stuff. I gather it was there at Match that Kirk developed an appreciation for classic road bikes, tho I don't want to put words in his mouth. He'd previously been a welder at Bontrager, pre-Trek buyout.

After Match went out of business, I think Kirk's first project was the Artisan lugs he designed and had cast in Taiwan, prized by many of the best FBs in the world, Peter Weigle for example. Tho he's probably better known for giving the world the 27.5" tire/rim size (yes I know it's just 650b, but nobody had made knobby 650b MTB tires before Kirk, that I know of). I'm pretty sure his Pari-Moto road tire was also the first super-supple road-racing type tire in 650b, predating Compass by a few years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The original Pari-Moto was substantially lighter than the ones Panaracer still sells, really fast tires but no flat-proofing strip and very thin tread, so they got a reputation as "race day" tires — put a brand-new pair on for your big event (P-B-P for example) and then "retire" them before the tread wears out, not too much later. Panaracer chose to make them a bit more robust, so they aren't quite as fast, but more practical for most people.

I heard a bit about the buy-out, when his partners excercised their option to buy him out, I don't think it was completely consensual. I don't think Kirk would put it that way in public, but I think he got shafted. Like they had better lawyers than he did. But I know whatever he does (has done, will do) after the buyout will be high-integrity, like everything else he's done.

This frame is exhibit A for that.

Oh yeah nice work building it up, and great photos, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-24, 03:11 PM
jamesdak 

So, to explain better. This was bought used from Kirk. Here's his comments from the ad.

"This is a custom Pacenti frame, made from a mix of Columbus Life and True Temper OX Platinum tubing and an Enve fork. Built in 2015 by Kelly Bedford. The bike has seen very little use and has *about* 300 bike-path miles on it. The bike is in very good-to- excellent condition. Professionally maintained, fresh tune, new bar tape. Full Ultegra 6800 kit, with Pacenti wheels and Ritchey bar, stem, seatpost and Cane Creek 110 headset."

I changed the stem, pedals, and saddle and added the bottle cages and that's pretty much it. Oh and put on the Conti tires even thought there was nothing wrong with the tires it came with. I believe the low miles statement and suspect it sat for awhile not used. I say this as the rear STI shifter was not downshifting well due to the usual Shimano dry grease issue I'm so used to with older bikes. I mean the shifter seemed to work right out of the box but then the bike sat at my house for a month or two as I healed from the knee replacement. First test ride it was sticking. Sorted that right out so no real issue at all really with the usual PB Blaster flush followed up by a relube with Triflow.

Took it out today for a 29 mile ride. It was real windy for the first 15 miles or so and at times I was only doing 9 mph into the strong wind. Yet, I still felt like I was taking it easy if that makes sense. With the wind at my back this baby cruised at up to 29 mph. Took the sharpest 90 degree turn on this route at 23 mph and it was absolutely no issue. Leaned in, tires gripped, frames stayed settled and then blasted out of the turn drama free.

I don't think he is still building but he did mention having at least one more available for sale.

And since you brought up his lugs, he sent me one of his prints with the lugs, a total surprise to me. I still need to get it framed so I can hang it in the bike cave.

A couple of shots from out on the ride today.

Old 05-10-24, 05:34 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by jamesdak
So, to explain better. This was bought used from Kirk. Here's his comments from the ad.
"This is a custom Pacenti frame, made from a mix of Columbus Life and True Temper OX Platinum tubing and an Enve fork. Built in 2015 by Kelly Bedford. [...]"
Ah, gotcha. I don't know the name Kelly Bedford or why the decals say Pacenti — was Kelly an employee of Pacenti? No "need to know", just curious.

I stand by my statement "
Super crisp clean workmanship" though. Ride with pride brother.
Old 05-10-24, 06:18 PM
jamesdak 

^ Kelly is a well renowed frame builder. Among other things he was one of the premier builders at Serotta.

Here's a good article about him:
https://pezcyclingnews.com/technspec...ord-gets-pezd/
Old 05-11-24, 01:07 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 671 Posts
great bike thanks for sharing with us
Old 05-11-24, 04:38 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

^ Kelly is a well renowed frame builder. Among other things he was one of the premier builders at Serotta.

Yeah I need to get out more! That pez article was eye-opening, so much talent there.
Old 05-11-24, 10:56 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 2,606 Times in 1,086 Posts
Vintage? Perhaps not. Classic? Absolutely. It's nice enough that I can forgive the four-arm crank.

Thanks for sharing this one.
Old 05-11-24, 02:01 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,599 Posts

I had to check my archives, and I've got pics of his booth at the 2009 NAHBS in Indianapolis....

A nice variety of lugged, fillet brazed, and perhaps other methods of construction.
Some nice Joe Bell paint jobs too!

Steve in Peoria (definitely missing going to NAHBS)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-11-24, 03:13 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 148 Posts
Great pics and it deserves a photoshoot.
Old 05-11-24, 04:15 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 3,942 Times in 1,927 Posts
I was going to post Kelly Bedford's website - I had posted some pics from there before, great content, beautiful bikes. Unfortunately, the website is down & his Facebook has not been updated since 2022? Found a post on The Paceline, from Dave Kirk a month ago, that says he is still building. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306219