Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Roof rack reco

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Roof rack reco

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 08:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,572 Posts
No, even with a minivan I was always scraping the hitch on driveways. But mostly, this car has prominent, good-looking built-in racks, and I want to make use of them
Old 05-10-24, 02:32 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have a few gas mileage references. A VW Rabbit would get near 31mpg bare topped and almost 26ish with a load of two bikes given the same route and general driving style. My mid 90's Saab got about the same no roof rack mileage but only 3 or 4 mpg less with two bikes on top. My current GTI gets about 34ish during the winter (no rack but 4 snows) on highways and 28+ in the riding season with summer rubber on and bikes on top.
When you say 'bare topped', are you talking no bike racks? even no cross-bars? Or are you saying cross-bars/closed bike racks just no bikes?
Old 05-10-24, 02:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5920 Post(s)
Liked 2,796 Times in 1,562 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Have you considered a hitch rack? That car looks pretty low to the ground, but there are hitch risers to give the rack a bit more clearance, and tray style hitch racks are more convenient to use than roof racks in my opinion.
The particulars for bars but no rack barely matter because they vary so much between cars. A key factor is the placement of the forward crossbar, with respect to the flow sliding up and off the windshield. If the bar is back a bit, so that flow passes above, you'll do better.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-10-24, 06:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
When you say 'bare topped', are you talking no bike racks? even no cross-bars? Or are you saying cross-bars/closed bike racks just no bikes?
Yes, as in no cross bars even. I have my roof rack installed from about April to November and the car has its alloys and good in wet weather tires (I hate hydroplaning and no longer seek tenths of a second off some entrance ramp). When the rack comes off the snow tires on steel wheels go on. Hense my gas mileage listing with the specifics as my pattern might not be yours.

For those of you out here who are into roof racks and have some retro in them here's a shot of my car with the rack mounted.

The feet and cross bars and feet are Thule current "square" model with the first generation ATOC tandem mount, which is shown weathered and with a frozen axle rotating pivot (I just loosely tighten the QR during the heave up and tighten the skewer after the tandem is settled). This bike mount is my go to when I am solo and the axle tower above the wheel tray is enough to clear most front fenders or low rider racks. This bike mount is not too unique being sold under the Thule brand too. But the two other bike mounts are relics from a past when brown touring bikes were the jizz. Yakama Low Rider Mounts from 1984. I recently cleaned them up and had the steel axle towers powder coated. Up close they are all rough from the rust pitting but should last another 40 years.

I've had Barrcrafters, Graber, Yakama, Thule and ATOC roof racks and mounts over the years. Andy (who also shows some of the peppers he grows at the end of the driveway)
Old 05-10-24, 06:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,092 Times in 1,973 Posts
FWIW, roof racks that contain the keyed locking setup, I convert that over to security hardware.
If those locks don't freeze up beyond a lubricant fix, they are easily picked... That's if the pot metal key doesnt twist off in the slot first.
Plus keeping track of keys I'd rarely use isnt something I do well, hand tools/sockets I can justify.
Old 05-18-24, 11:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
While roof racks are fine and very convenient, keep in mind that bicycle windage is murder on your fuel consumption. So if you're planning a long trip, you might do better with the bikes inside, or on a rear rack of some kind.

Also, learn to note and read overhead clearance signs. Can't count the number of people I know that wrecked their bikes on the roof, usually when using indoor public parking, but also driving into their own garages.
I will add to this, lifting even a lightweight bike and getting it clamped onto a roof rack can be unwieldy.

And the possible danger of driving into a garage. This is no help to the OP's actual question, but I use my hitch mount tray type carrier (Yakima Holdup) whenever possible and only use the roof racks when I have to because I'm getting too old and weak (and I'm short) to lift even our 20 pound gravel bikes onto the roof easily.

But to the OP's actual question: I have three roof bike carriers: a Yakima fork mount type, and two that leave the wheels on, Yakima Front Loader and a Raptor (no longer offered?). They both work fine, although for me, the raptor is a bit easier to use, maybe because I've had it longer. I stick with Yakima because for the keyed-alike system to match the stuff I've had since the 90s, roof top box, locking rail towers, etc. Plus they work fine and are available through the local REI which eliminates a real bad shipping issue I have to where I live. I also recommend Etrailer as they have a lot of options and great how-to videos. I buy keys and cores on Ebay because I can always find someone getting rid of the key code I need.

Having existing bars, even good looking ones, is not a reason to use a roof top rack. Cost vs. a hitch rack and/or other considerations, yes. But not that.

Practice lifting - steadily and in total control - your heaviest bike over your head and away from your body onto the roof, placing the rear tire precisely into a wheel tray. Then hold it steady with one hand and mimic placing the wheel holder bars and clamping it down with the other. That's what it will take to get it up on the rack and clamped down. Maybe do all of this on a step stool. It's not a big deal for me with the Impreza, so your Toyota will probably be easy enough. My wife's Outback is just taller enough to make it quite a bit more difficult for diminutive me.

I'm sure this is all trivial to many or most of us. But worth thinking about.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-19-24 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 07:47 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

thx for tips; my wife and I are tall(ish 6' and 5'10) and the corolla is quite short, so I don't anticipate the general plan of rooftop being a difficulty.

I had looked into the Raptor, because there was a pair available on my local craigslist. I would have bought them if somebody else hadn't beaten me to them, but now when I look at the Yakima page, it says 'does not fit your corolla' -- it looks like the attachments are specifically for round crossbars, not bladed/aero crossbars like we have. But I do like that it grabs the frame rather than the wheel so I wouldn't have to worry about 3"
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-19-24, 11:09 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If you get too many side G's, does the rack detach or the car tip over?
Under sub-hurricane conditions, no. As for side G's, most cars and SUVs lose traction at 0.70-0.85, and most drivers rarely exceed 0.6.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 05-19-24 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 11:16 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 348 Posts
The attachment clamps of roof-mount trays are pretty independent of the shape of the crossbars nowadays. I've always been partial to Thule, but I've never heard any complaints about Yakima. And don't forget to check out Rockymounts. You'll have to rummage through the online catalogs to see what will work for your bike.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 05-19-24, 12:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5920 Post(s)
Liked 2,796 Times in 1,562 Posts
Roof rack owners should buy themselves as plastic milk crate.

Used as a step it makes loading a roof rack much easier, especially on tall cars. Then it can be used to hold helmets, shoes, etc.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-19-24, 04:54 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 203 Posts
Our RAV4 came with the roof bars, but we came up with a solution prioritizing mpg and ease of loading. A Saris platform rack mounts into the hitch receiver for two bikes and the interior has room for my trike plus some luggage and a cooler. Excess luggage goes into the Yakima roof box that mounts on the roof bars, and that is much more aero than bikes on the roof. Think about traveling when gas prices have doubled. A platform hitch receiver rack that allows a 29x3 tire (our Saris will) is much better mpg and loading wise than a roof bike rack. We can still open the rear hatch with the bikes loaded, and they're the first to come off the car when we get there.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 05-19-24, 08:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
thx for tips; my wife and I are tall(ish 6' and 5'10) and the corolla is quite short, so I don't anticipate the general plan of rooftop being a difficulty.

I had looked into the Raptor, because there was a pair available on my local craigslist. I would have bought them if somebody else hadn't beaten me to them, but now when I look at the Yakima page, it says 'does not fit your corolla' -- it looks like the attachments are specifically for round crossbars, not bladed/aero crossbars like we have. But I do like that it grabs the frame rather than the wheel so I wouldn't have to worry about 3"
I use the Raptor on my wife's Outback with stock bladed/aero/non-round bars, as well as when I put round crossbars on my Impreza. These are "universal clamps" which I also have on my Rocket Box, fork mount, Front Loader as well as the former ski carriers I had. They all work on round as well as flat bars.

FWIW, the first Raptor I had I got off Craigslist years ago. It had round-bar only clamps. But IIRC, I could have replaced the clamps with universal type. As it was, I took them off the Rocket Box and put them on the Raptor. I went a different route and got a new one during an REI sale, with the benefit that the old one didn't have the same version of key cores that I wanted, and I didn't have to move the clamps back and forth between the Raptor and Rocket Box.

Hope you find some that work. For the extra large tires, I agree with you that the Raptor might be better than the Front Loader. But maybe the other rack manufacturers make something that will easily work. As I said, I'm into Yakima but only for the keys, not necessarily because I think they're "best". They're fine and probably not notably better or worse than any other major brand. But like I said, I greatly prefer the hitch mount platform carrier, much easier, and I don't worry about the bikes hitting something.