Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Struggling w/ 27.2 seat post and 27.2 seat tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 10:45 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 159 Posts

I just got a Campagnolo Record Ti seatpost, which I've measured with calipers at 27.2 (were they made in any other sizes?), that I want to put in my CAAD 5 frame which is also 27.2. The alloy seatpost that came out of the CAAD presented no problems and the seat tube appears clean and clear, but I have to wrestle with the Ti Campy post to get it to go in. I'm using grease and there's no marring, but it's a real struggle. I pulled the Ti post out because I don't want to find out that it's stuck in there later.

Is this a common experience for these posts? Would it be advisable to lightly sand the seat post, or does Ti not react well to that?
Old 05-11-24, 11:24 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
I just got a Campagnolo Record Ti seatpost, which I've measured with calipers at 27.2 (were they made in any other sizes?), that I want to put in my CAAD 5 frame which is also 27.2. The alloy seatpost that came out of the CAAD presented no problems and the seat tube appears clean and clear, but I have to wrestle with the Ti Campy post to get it to go in. I'm using grease and there's no marring, but it's a real struggle. I pulled the Ti post out because I don't want to find out that it's stuck in there later.

Is this a common experience for these posts? Would it be advisable to lightly sand the seat post, or does Ti not react well to that?
I'd try thoroughly cleaning out the seat tube before resorting to modifications - attach string to a rag, soak it in solvent, jam it in with a stick and pull it out again, repeat until no more dirt and dried grease comes out. (Probably best to do this with the frame inverted to protect the bottom bracket.) Then try fitting the seatpost with no grease so you can get a feel for where a tight spot may be - if you look inside with a flashlight you may be able to see where it's rubbing, in which case it might be good to ream the seat tube a little, but only if you're sure the seatpost isn't oversized.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-11-24, 11:29 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4557 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
What does the old seat post measure?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-11-24, 12:13 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 484 Posts
Running a drill with a flex hone in the seat tube couldn’t hurt, in addition to the cleaning procedure above. Have you verified that the old post is definitely 27.2?
Old 05-11-24, 12:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,447 Times in 1,958 Posts
There can be size variations in manufacturing both frame tubing and components; perhaps your seat tube is on the small side of acceptable inside diameter, while the post on the large side of acceptable outside diameter. In any case, @bboy314's suggestion to verify that the original post is nominally 27.2mm, and if so, run a flex hone down the seat tube is good. Just go easy and check fit frequently. You don't want to remove more material than what is absolutely necessary.
Old 05-11-24, 01:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5909 Post(s)
Liked 2,778 Times in 1,550 Posts
Let's start with an understanding if tolerance. NOTHING is exact, so we have to define an allowable range. Since you can't put a big peg in a small hole, we draw a line. The post has to be on size or up to 0.05mm smaller, and the tube on size or up to 0.05mm larger. That means that we can have dits that vary from zero clearance, aka super tight, to up to 0.1mm sloppy.

From your OP, I'll assume your tube is close to minimum, and the post near the max. That may be compounded by some ovalness of the post, or top of the seat tube.

I'd start by gently flexing the tube open and seeing how the fit is further down. If it's OK, then I'd live with it. If it b is tight further down, you need to ream the tube to a hair larger, ie. 27.25.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-11-24, 02:00 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Let's start with an understanding if tolerance. NOTHING is exact, so we have to define an allowable range. Since you can't put a big peg in a small hole, we draw a line. The post has to be on size or up to 0.05mm smaller, and the tube on size or up to 0.05mm larger. That means that we can have dits that vary from zero clearance, aka super tight, to up to 0.1mm sloppy.

From your OP, I'll assume your tube is close to minimum, and the post near the max. That may be compounded by some ovalness of the post, or top of the seat tube.

I'd start by gently flexing the tube open and seeing how the fit is further down. If it's OK, then I'd live with it. If it b is tight further down, you need to ream the tube to a hair larger, ie. 27.25.
Instead of assuming, the OP could measure his old post before modifying the frame, since he clearly has a caliper.

Once the OP has established that his old post was in the 27.2 ballpark (instead of a 27.0 with a tweaked opening to the frame), then he can consider reaming. But not until he tries the simple solution of spreading the clamping ears slightly.

Being a Cannondale, don't assume the penny trick is going to work.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-11-24, 02:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Kontact
Instead of assuming, the OP could measure his old post before modifying the frame, since he clearly has a caliper.

Once the OP has established that his old post was in the 27.2 ballpark (instead of a 27.0 with a tweaked opening to the frame), then he can consider reaming. But not until he tries the simple solution of spreading the clamping ears slightly.

Being a Cannondale, don't assume the penny trick is going to work.
I give credit to the OP regarding the correct size being 27.2 for a few reasons.

1- he likely read the size off the original post, or possibly took a moment to measure.
2- IIRC Cannondale never made 27.0 frames, though that's no gauranty
3- the OP described a snug fit, not a no fit, so something smaller than 27.15 or so is ruled out.

In any case, doing the top of tube flex test will tell him what he needs to know.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-11-24, 02:18 PM
Kontact

I give credit to the OP regarding the correct size being 27.2 for a few reasons.

1- he likely read the size off the original post, or possibly took a moment to measure.
2- IIRC Cannondale never made 27.0 frames, though that's no gauranty
3- the OP described a snug fit, not a no fit, so something smaller than 27.15 or so is ruled out.

In any case, doing the top of tube flex test will tell him what he needs to know.
Cannondale never made a 27.0 bike, but if an undersized post made it into the frame, the result is not going to be solved by reaming. So it is far better to know what happened by checking the old post instead of assuming.
Old 05-11-24, 02:34 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Kontact
Cannondale never made a 27.0 bike, but if an undersized post made it into the frame, the result is not going to be solved by reaming. So it is far better to know what happened by checking the old post instead of assuming.
I know you love to argue, or pretend to be the most knowledgeable person here. But instead of nitpicking other peoples posts, you might better serve the community by prioritizing posting your opinion over critiquing others.

So, I've posted my suggestions, responded to your BS, and am now done, until/unless the OP asks more help.

Have a nice day.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-11-24, 04:40 PM
Kontact

I know you love to argue, or pretend to be the most knowledgeable person here. But instead of nitpicking other peoples posts, you might better serve the community by prioritizing posting your opinion over critiquing others.

So, I've posted my suggestions, responded to your BS, and am now done, until/unless the OP asks more help.

Have a nice day.
You're rude and frequently wrong.

Get those three beers in the mail yet?
Old 05-11-24, 05:02 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 280 Posts
I have to wrestle with the Ti Campy post to get it to go in.
There's always nominal and actual.

My experience in this recent thread may help you.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...post-size.html
Old 05-11-24, 05:07 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 159 Posts
The original post is now on a bike I built for a friend, a CAAD 8 which is also 27.2. I have the carbon 27.2 seatpost from my Topstone which I just tried in the CAAD 5 frame, that went in without trouble. There aren't any noticeable obstructions or obvious areas in the seat tube that would affect the fit of a seat post, but I'll give it a thorough cleaning to see if that makes any difference.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 05-11-24, 05:10 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 280 Posts
Like I said: nominal 27.2 does not imply actually 27.20mm .

Having a 27.25-27.30mm will cause your issue.

Some posts are made more smaller or bigger than others.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-11-24, 05:31 PM
Kontact

The original post is now on a bike I built for a friend, a CAAD 8 which is also 27.2. I have the carbon 27.2 seatpost from my Topstone which I just tried in the CAAD 5 frame, that went in without trouble. There aren't any noticeable obstructions or obvious areas in the seat tube that would affect the fit of a seat post, but I'll give it a thorough cleaning to see if that makes any difference.
At this point you can choose to hone the seat tube to accommodate this post, or decide that the frame works very well with most other posts and move on from the Ti one. You may get to a point where it goes in smooth without requiring too much tightening for other posts, or you may not care.

I have a Litespeed that requires a tire iron in the binder ears to move the Kingsberry post up and down, but that's all it takes. You can try that as well.
Old 05-11-24, 05:45 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 765 Posts
Be careful if you decide to use a flex hone on aluminum as it removes the alu rapidly, alot faster than a much harder steel tube.
Likes For Crankycrank: