Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Friction Shifting Brifters - Modify STI Brifter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 05:52 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts

Does (did) anyone make brifters with friction shifters? I'm restoring a vintage bike, and I'd like to avoid downtube shifters due to arthritis. I really want to avoid the hassle of finding a combination of STI brifters and derailleurs not that most new stuff is hydraulic discs.

I have other options for friction shifters, but a friction brifter would be best.

I'm open to modifying a standard brifter if this would work.
Old 05-11-24, 05:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3308 Post(s)
Liked 2,147 Times in 1,214 Posts
Why run as friction ?. Just find some e-bay 8-9 spd or something and use indexed with brifters ?

And to answer, I am pretty sure all brake shifter units were indexed. Shimano STI is plus 30 years old now as indexed, Campy was close behind.

Would bar-cons be better than downtube ?, you can run them friction.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-11-24 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-11-24, 06:00 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 960 Posts
https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-11-24, 06:16 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Why run as friction ?. Just find some e-bay 8-9 spd or something and use indexed with brifters ?

And to answer, I am pretty sure all brake shifter units were indexed. Shimano STI is plus 30 years old now as indexed, Campy was close behind.

Would bar-cons be better than downtube ?, you can run them friction.
I've done the eBay thing, and it is really hard to know exactly what you are getting and since matched sets are pretty much non-existent on eBay the huge number of variations of shifters, etc makes it very much "hit or miss" (mostly miss) using eBay. I have a box of about 15 trigger shifters that didn't work properly from another conversion. Really don't relish going down that road again, and the cost would be excessive with brifters. Trigger shifters are cheap.

Yeah, I could use bar end shifters. My prior tandem had them. I didn't like them on the tandem, so I'm looking for something else.
Old 05-11-24, 06:20 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by base2
Those are bloody brilliant! Thanks so much!! Exactly what I'm looking for. This forum is fantastic!

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-11-24 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 05-11-24, 06:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 1,077 Posts
What type bicycle?
What type bars?

Oh... And dont forget there is such a thing as Stem Shifters too.

For some people it can be hard to understand the things us arthritic riders have to adapt to...
Old 05-11-24, 06:27 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by zandoval
What type bicycle?
What type bars?

Oh... And dont forget there is such a thing as Stem Shifters too.

For some people it can be hard to understand the things us arthritic riders have to adapt to...
It's a custom frame (old school steel. Threaded stem, so probably late '70s or early '80s) that I bought on eBay.

I thought about stem shifters, but they bring back bad memories about junior high school and Schwinn (lead pipe) Varsitys.
Old 05-11-24, 06:28 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Why run as friction ?
How? Dual control levers are a ratcheting mechanism, and friction levers work by continuous sweep. By the time you swept the lever to the largest cog, you'd have to take your hand off the handlebar to reach it.
Old 05-11-24, 06:39 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
How? Dual control levers are a ratcheting mechanism, and friction levers work by continuous sweep. By the time you swept the lever to the largest cog, you'd have to take your hand off the handlebar to reach it.
That's a good point. I just ordered a pair of Gevenalle levers, so we'll see how they work.
Old 05-11-24, 08:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
That's a good point. I just ordered a pair of Gevenalle levers, so we'll see how they work.
A good modern choice. The old school levers you were looking for were called Modolo Morphos, they shifted everything from 5sp-9sp, shimano or campagnolo. Little chunky but they worked really well and I liked them at the time because the chunky meant you could really hand onto them.
Old 05-11-24, 09:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3308 Post(s)
Liked 2,147 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
My question was if OP wanted something like brake/shifters, why not just run indexed brake shifters ?. Why use friction at all. Get a matchup set of F and R derailers and just use an indexed system.
Old 05-11-24, 09:10 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4557 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
Kelly Take Offs also allow the use of any downtube shifter:

I have a pair - they work well.

Then there's the ratchet shifting Ene Wing:

And then there are flat bar type shifter mounts that are the right size to work on drop bar tops.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-11-24, 09:58 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 246 Posts
For someone who has finger mobility issues, brifters or rapid fire type shifter would seem to be the best option since the lever 'returns' to the same position. Assuming a suitable position can be found which would work, it would limit the mobility needed. Friction shifters would seem to need more mobility range to work on most none downtube mounts.

Shimano's modern rapid fire shifters allow some adjustments on placement on the brake lever/mount.

Shimano shifters have quite a few option but the compatibility must be understood, something that the OP doesn't seem to be willing to learn.
Old 05-11-24, 11:16 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 784 Posts
What kind of drive train are you planning on - for instance 6 or 7 speed rear? 8 or more rear?
Old 05-11-24, 11:22 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by KCT1986
For someone who has finger mobility issues, brifters or rapid fire type shifter would seem to be the best option since the lever 'returns' to the same position. Assuming a suitable position can be found which would work, it would limit the mobility needed. Friction shifters would seem to need more mobility range to work on most none downtube mounts.

Shimano's modern rapid fire shifters allow some adjustments on placement on the brake lever/mount.

Shimano shifters have quite a few option but the compatibility must be understood, something that the OP doesn't seem to be willing to learn.
I don't know if the main lever throw of a Shimano brifter is actually easier to deal with than the throw of downtube lever.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-12-24, 12:01 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Camilo
What kind of drive train are you planning on - for instance 6 or 7 speed rear? 8 or more rear?
Right now, the plan is a Shimano HG freehub wheel (Which I have. No idea how I got it). I'd prefer a 9-speed cassette as I have a bunch of those. I just installed a set of Shimano Ultegra STI shifters from a tandem (what I had while I wait for the Gevenalle levers to arrive), but they are seriously worn out. The previous owner of the tandem must have really enjoyed riding it!

I have a Campy rear derailleur on it, and am hoping it works. The frame is a little unusual. The B-screw doesn't line up well with the dropout, so I'm not sure what to do about that (I really don't want to weld on the frame). It has the shortest chain stays imaginable and really narrow. I put a 700c x 32 tire on my wheel and I couldn't get the wheel on. I deflated the tire and it went on, but when I re-inflated it, the tire hit both sides of the chainstays. Fortunately, I had a 700c x 25 tire lying around and it went back together.

I've thought about doing this again (picture of a Paul thumbie with a Campy lever I cobbled up on our tandem).

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-12-24 at 12:34 AM.
Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 05-12-24, 12:02 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't know if the main lever throw of a Shimano brifter is actually easier to deal with than the throw of downtube lever.
With my back and neck arthritis, it is about impossible to reach a downtube lever.
Old 05-12-24, 12:03 AM
PromptCritical 

Kelly Take Offs also allow the use of any downtube shifter:

I have a pair - they work well.

Then there's the ratchet shifting Ene Wing:

And then there are flat bar type shifter mounts that are the right size to work on drop bar tops.
Those are cool! Unfortunately the Kelly Takeoffs are out of stock and the Ene Wings are a bit pricey, but I may go for them.

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-12-24 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-12-24, 01:52 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 484 Posts
Right now, the plan is a Shimano HG freehub wheel (Which I have. No idea how I got it). I'd prefer a 9-speed cassette as I have a bunch of those. I just installed a set of Shimano Ultegra STI shifters from a tandem (what I had while I wait for the Gevenalle levers to arrive), but they are seriously worn out. The previous owner of the tandem must have really enjoyed riding it!

I have a Campy rear derailleur on it, and am hoping it works. The frame is a little unusual. The B-screw doesn't line up well with the dropout, so I'm not sure what to do about that (I really don't want to weld on the frame). It has the shortest chain stays imaginable and really narrow. I put a 700c x 32 tire on my wheel and I couldn't get the wheel on. I deflated the tire and it went on, but when I re-inflated it, the tire hit both sides of the chainstays. Fortunately, I had a 700c x 25 tire lying around and it went back together.

I've thought about doing this again (picture of a Paul thumbie with a Campy lever I cobbled up on our tandem).
Finding appropriate 9 speed STI shifters isn’t hard, but you will need to do some basic research on compatibility, IE Shimano vs. Campagnolo, drivetrain speeds, etc.

Also a picture of the dropout may help folks help you figure out the b stop issue.
Old 05-12-24, 07:58 AM
Kontact

With my back and neck arthritis, it is about impossible to reach a downtube lever.
I'm talking about the type of lever, not that it is mounted on the downtube. Like the Genevalle levers, the top mounts or the Kelly's.
Old 05-12-24, 09:26 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 378 Posts
I looked into the Gevenalle a couple of years ago to convert an MTB with 10sp Dynasys derailleurs to a drop bar to do a tour with it. They supposedly made them but were out of stock, and they were going to be expensive, more than the original setup. I ultimately bought SQ Labs bar inners, which give me a drop bar thumb hook position on the otherwise flat bar setup. I can shift and brake without moving my hands. This won't help the OP though since he already has drop bars.

Old 05-12-24, 09:37 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,007 Posts
The B screw notch has to be sorted out or else nothing will work. Is this a French frame with Simplex or Huret drop-outs?
Old 05-12-24, 09:44 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 319 Posts
PromptCritical - you say you have the Gevenalle integrated shifters on order. Just curious: did you order the "Audax" version that comes without the shift levers? If so, which friction levers were you thinking of using? Or did you get the ones that come complete with the Microshift levers re-branded as Gevenalle? Also, how many front chainrings and rear cogs are you running?
Old 05-12-24, 09:48 AM
PromptCritical 

I'm talking about the type of lever, not that it is mounted on the downtube. Like the Genevalle levers, the top mounts or the Kelly's.
Oh. Duh, of course.
Old 05-12-24, 09:49 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by masi61
PromptCritical - you say you have the Gevenalle integrated shifters on order. Just curious: did you order the "Audax" version that comes without the shift levers? If so, which friction levers were you thinking of using? Or did you get the ones that come complete with the Microshift levers re-branded as Gevenalle? Also, how many front chainrings and rear cogs are you running?
I bought the ones without shifter levers. I'll use some old school Campy downtube levers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.