Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat Repair Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 05:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,965 Times in 7,502 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
My reason for asking is I am trying to decide, for long rides in the SC summer, whether to put my Topeak Mini Morph on my bike or use those attachment points for an extra water bottle and just carry CO2 in my bag. I wondered what other folks did.
The pump didn’t come with a bracket that attaches to the bottle bosses and still allows you to attach a cage to the same bosses?

See photo in post #7 above.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-10-24, 05:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
On one of our C&V rides, one rider got a puncture in one of his tubulars. I can't remember whether he added sealant to the tire then, or already had it in the tire, but it sealed and he re-inflated it with CO2, and rode the remaining 20 miles of the ride without a problem.

So now, on the exceedingly rare occasions when I ride with tubulars, I carry sealant, a valve core wrench, and a pump. And a spare tire.

And a phone.
I considered running tubulars with sealant before trying tubeless, but couldn’t verify how well it would work. Sounds like people are generally happy with it now. I really liked the ride quality of tubulars.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-10-24 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-11-24, 11:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3559 Post(s)
Liked 3,727 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
just got some rene herse TPU tubes.....Co2 not advised for those
Interesting. I assume the "problem" when using CO₂ with TPU tubes are the cold temperatures. I've used CO₂ on TPU tubes successfully, but I make sure to inflate slowly.

You should always inflate slowly with CO₂. I froze and punctured a butyl tube once with CO₂ -- it failed right around the valve.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-11-24 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-11-24, 12:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,591 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Interesting. I assume the "problem" when using CO₂ with TPU tubes are the cold temperatures. I've used CO₂ on TPU tubes successfully, but I make sure to inflate slowly.

You should always inflate slowly with CO₂. I froze and punctured a butyl tube once with CO₂ -- it failed right around the valve.
I have not been able to to inflate slowly with Co2.... probably operator error. So for me I have ruled out CO2 for TPU.

as noted, especially with new TPU tubes, rene herse call for 20 PSI inflating increments.... to be 100% clear they do not say no Co2, that is me saying know way I personally can do slow inflation with CO2

Old 05-11-24, 01:46 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts
Well, having not tried it I would be interested in the method you use to do it slowly. I assumed it would be out of your control once you pierce the seal.
Old 05-11-24, 02:07 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 995 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Forget what I said about Schrader valves I overlooked the OP mentioning tubular tires but now I’m curious why They added that specification to asking about how people inflate their tires. forgive my ignorance, what is unique about tubular tires that affects how you inflate them?
Nothing unique about inflating tubulars, really. I called mine a modern sew-up pump partly because it's presta-only, partly because it's a press-on fit (although plus a lever for a better seal), like frame pumps used to be, without a screw-on hose, and partly because I can hold the head with enough stability even on long valve stems, mainly because the strokes are so easy that a wrapped finger will suffice. Topping off most sew-ups with an old-style frame pump would require a fair amount of hand and arm strength for 5-10 hard strokes, and long valve stems make that trickier these days - no thumb over the tire with the pump head snug against the rim, as is possible with short valve stems and shallow rims.

My front Rally 21mm goes for a week or two between top offs, and I use my floor pump for the 28mm rear, which needs topping off every other day (I've never run super high pressures), but the Roadie mini TT would work fine. How long it will last remains to be seen.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-11-24, 02:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 516 Posts
The only reason I’d ever ride tubular again would be in pursuit of being super vintage. I’m talking something like wooden rims or similar.

In that scenario, I’d already have a Silca frame pump under the top tube, to ride without it would be incomplete. So this kind of sorts itself out.

I can’t think of another reason in 2024 that I’d be out there on tubulars.
Old 05-11-24, 04:05 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 995 Times in 471 Posts
In the modern parlance, I'm a 'fan' of technologies (and indeed, ways of thinking) from certain periods in our not-so-distant past.

Totally Tubular - Page 130 - Bike Forums

When I find my little frame bag, I plan to throw in a valve core remover and sealant, for redundancy in an emergency. And bring my phone. ;-)
Old 05-11-24, 04:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3559 Post(s)
Liked 3,727 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I have not been able to to inflate slowly with Co2.... probably operator error. So for me I have ruled out CO2 for TPU.
Originally Posted by spinconn
Well, having not tried it I would be interested in the method you use to do it slowly. I assumed it would be out of your control once you pierce the seal.
I bought a CO₂ inflator made by Silca. It has a little dial valve that regulates the flow of the gas. Very easy to manage inflation rate.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-12-24 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-24, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,965 Times in 7,502 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I bought a CO₂ inflator made by Silca. It has a little dial valve that regulates the flow of the gas. Very easy to mange inflation rate.

That’s neat.
Old 05-12-24, 09:14 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,019 Posts
In my experience CO2 works fine with TPU tubes. You don’t have to fill it slowly or do anything different.
The only caveat is that it will leak out quicker than with butyl tubes. So make sure you empty it and pump it up again with regular air once you get home.
Old 05-12-24, 05:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^ You use an adapter then?
not sure this is worth circling back for, or if I understand the question. but w/ my Schrader valves I don't use pump adapters. the schraders fit everything I have, or come across. gas station pumps, the portable inflator in the car, the frame pumps & co inflator all fit w/o an adapter
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-12-24, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 5,770 Times in 2,910 Posts
Nah, just another tubular confusion joke.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-13-24, 11:02 AM
AxxisPowers

Bikes: CharlesraP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general, I carry a small pump with me to handle any potential pressure leaks in tubular tires. I prefer to have a backup solution on hand during my rides.
Old 05-13-24, 11:06 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by AxxisPowers
In general, I carry a small pump with me to handle any potential pressure leaks in tubular tires. I prefer to have a backup solution on hand during my rides.
Spare tire as well?
Old 05-14-24, 01:20 PM
AxxisPowers

Bikes: CharlesraP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spare tire as well?
The spare tire, no, but if it's a longer ride, I'll take those tire patches.
Old 05-14-24, 03:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Spare tire as well?
The spare tire, no, but if it's a longer ride, I'll take those tire patches.
You have some skills if you can do that on the side of the road! If I tried it would make for a very long ride. Or walk....