Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Waxed Chains: Hype or truly beneficial?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Waxed Chains: Hype or truly beneficial?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-24, 07:56 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4581 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Yup. However it's a good idea to be aware of the water at yhe bottom when waxing chains. In order to ensure no water comes up with the chain it's a good idea to agitate the chain prior to lifting it out to harden.
I don't see how agitating is going to do anything but get the water off the bottom and onto the chain. How is half a millimeter of water going to affect the internals of the chain?
Old 05-12-24, 08:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6270 Post(s)
Liked 4,297 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Plus Rock-n-Roll tells you to just liberally squirt its lube roughly in the direction of where the chain is resting on the cassette.
That's standard operating procedure for any lubricant. It's easier to put the lubrication on at the cassette than mid chain.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-12-24, 09:08 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That's standard operating procedure for any lubricant. It's easier to put the lubrication on at the cassette than mid chain.
Easier for sure but also messier and more wasteful than just dripping one or two drops per roller.

Originally Posted by elcruxio
That doesn't happen at the allowed temps of silca hot wax.
I did not even realize that Silca Hot Wax has a specified temperature range. It seems my Crock Pot is slightly too hot.
Old 05-12-24, 11:06 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
I did not even realize that Silca Hot Wax has a specified temperature range. It seems my Crock Pot is slightly too hot.
It doesn't unless you use the new strip chip on a new, uncleaned chain, then the wax has to be heated to at least 125C. A Silca rep told me it's safe to heat it up to the point where it starts smoking (way above 125C).
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-12-24, 11:34 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Easier for sure but also messier and more wasteful than just dripping one or two drops per roller.
The White Lightning product has a higher solvent content than oil based lubricants and is meant to flood through the chain to remove the old wax as well as flush out any grit that might be on the outside of the chain. Oil really should have more solvent and shouldn't be put on one drop at a time on the rollers. Since it is so good at collecting grit, oil would benefit from flushing when reapplied. It would be incredibly messy, however. Oil lubricated chains should be stripped with solvent prior to reapplication of the oil, but that's not all that convenient.

From Silca's page on how to apply wax:

1. Heat the wax to between 65-88C (150-190F)
There is no reason to keep the temperature at "88°C". The only reason for the temperatures used are because that's what 190°F calculates to. It doesn't have to be that accurate.

However they also have instructions for a stove top method

1. Insert full bag of SILCA Secret Blend Wax into a large pot of water.

2. Bring the water to a boil and wait for the wax in the bag to completely melt.
That temperature would be about 20°C hotter than their crockpot method, not that it would matter all the much. People have been using crock pots and double boilers before that without issue. To limit the temperature to "88°C" is silly. Nothing will happen to the wax. The wax is thermally stable to between 150°C and 170°C (300°F to 340°F). Crock pots operate between 75°C to 140°C (170° and 280° F) which is no where near where anything can happen to the wax. Honestly, this ain't rocket science.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-12-24, 11:37 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by asgelle
A Silca rep told me it's safe to heat it up to the point where it starts smoking (way above 125C).
I wouldn't suggest going that high. Wax is flammable and at a high enough temperature to smoke, it could burn very vigorously.

Old 05-12-24, 11:55 AM
Kontact

That temperature would be about 20°C hotter than their crockpot method, not that it would matter all the much. People have been using crock pots and double boilers before that without issue. To limit the temperature to "88°C" is silly. Nothing will happen to the wax. The wax is thermally stable to between 150°C and 170°C (300°F to 340°F). Crock pots operate between 75°C to 140°C (170° and 280° F) which is no where near where anything can happen to the wax. Honestly, this ain't rocket science.
If you follow these directions exactly using boiling water, if you take the bag out when then wax melts and not much more than that, the wax temperature will be the melting point of the wax, not the temp of the water.

Same with a bag of snow in boiling water. When the snow melts it will be 32 degrees, not 212.
Old 05-12-24, 03:27 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kontact
If you follow these directions exactly using boiling water, if you take the bag out when then wax melts and not much more than that, the wax temperature will be the melting point of the wax, not the temp of the water.

Same with a bag of snow in boiling water. When the snow melts it will be 32 degrees, not 212.
Thats’s not what the instructions say.

1. Insert full bag of SILCA Secret Blend Wax into a large pot of water.

2. Bring the water to a boil and wait for the wax in the bag to completely melt.
The instructions don’t say to put the bag into a pot of boiling water but to bring the water to a boil and wait for the wax in the bag to melt completely. If the water gets up to boiling, the wax will be at the same temperature.

Old 05-12-24, 04:17 PM
Kontact

Thats’s not what the instructions say.

The instructions don’t say to put the bag into a pot of boiling water but to bring the water to a boil and wait for the wax in the bag to melt completely. If the water gets up to boiling, the wax will be at the same temperature.
The wax can't get above its own melting point until it is all melted. If you remove it when melted, it will be no greater than 190 degrees. Whether the water is boiling or not when this happens will depend on the amount of water, not if the wax is 212 or not.

But I'm not a chemist, just someone that has put cold things in boiling water, and someone who knows a substance can't get above its phase change temperature until the phase change is complete.
Old 05-12-24, 06:18 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kontact
The wax can't get above its own melting point until it is all melted. If you remove it when melted, it will be no greater than 190 degrees. Whether the water is boiling or not when this happens will depend on the amount of water, not if the wax is 212 or not.

But I'm not a chemist, just someone that has put cold things in boiling water, and someone who knows a substance can't get above its phase change temperature until the phase change is complete.
I am a chemist and while what you say is mostly correct, if you put the bag in water and heat the water to boiling, the wax with its relatively low melt temperature will have melted long before the water reaches its boiling point. The water temperature is what drives the temperature of the system.

If you were to plunge the wax bag into a pot of boiling water, the wax will stay at the temperature of fusion until it is all melted. However, following their instructions will not give that result. If you were to monitor the temperature in a calorimeter (a highly accurate, highly insulated piece of equipment for measuring heat), you would see a slight plateauing of the temperature of the system when wax melts. On you kitchen stove, the plateau would be undetectable.

That said, it won’t matter at all if the wax is heated to 100°C or not. It’s not harmed by the heat of boiling water or a crock pot. Their temperatures are too low to have any deleterious effect in the wax. Wax isn’t that delicate nor that picky about the temperature of the application.

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-14-24 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-12-24, 07:11 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

The biggest draw, for me, would be the cleanliness, simply so I wouldn't have it on my leg, or anything else, but I am not sure that is worth the added time in maintenance, and compared to what I do now, it would be much more. Overall, I am happy using oil, but it is always good to understand other options, so to those who helped, thanks.
The cleanliness, that’s what won me over. No more black chain marks on my hands, legs, or clothes. I ride maybe 2500 miles per year split between two bikes. So chain longevity is not really a concern for me. Waxing does involve a bit of time, but most of that is just waiting for the wax to melt, during which time I can do other things. Not trying to convince you one way or the other, just stating my observations.
Likes For Biker Pete:
Old 05-14-24, 06:03 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Just bought the Secret Chain Blend. Been reading a lot of ZFC's stuff. Going to go through the whole clean/hot wax drill. The only thing that seems to be a downside to me, after reading ZFC, if he seems to say even if you do one ride where the chain gets wet, you have to take the chain off and re-wax?? Or get dust, etc, on the chain, same thing? That seems a little crazy. Especially when having two bikes with SRAM chains, where you are supposed to use a new master link every time you remove and re-install the chain (that's a whole other subject). So I got the Silca drip wax to supplement between waxing. It also sounds like if you just wash a waxed chain off with water, it is more susceptible to rust than an oiled chain?? Time to get to waxing. Thank you.
Old 05-14-24, 06:16 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptMike
Just bought the Secret Chain Blend.... he seems to say even if you do one ride where the chain gets wet, you have to take the chain off and re-wax?? ... Time to get to waxing. Thank you.
Here's the short version - it isn't as fragile as all that. Yes, if you ride in the rain for any length of time, you'll need to re-wax. This is also true of oil based lube - chain gets wet, you need to wipe down and relube. Fortunately, there's a way to do this without removing the chain. Silca (and others) makes drip wax you can use to top off the chain just like you'd use an oil based lube. just wipe down the chain, add a drip per link (or just drip while pedaling backwards), and let dry for a few hours before your next ride.

Many of us do a full dip before a race or once every 1000 miles or so, and just use drip wax as needed (every 100-200 miles) between deep waxes.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-14-24, 06:36 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Thanks, bbbean. That's what I plan to do. I ordered the drip wax last night, after reading that on ZFC's site. I would have thought that the water would run right off of the chain, and you could just run it though a micro fiber cloth. I usually only ride in the rain if I get caught in it. Dust and mud I get much more often.
Likes For CaptMike:
Old 05-14-24, 07:31 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Thanks, bbbean. That's what I plan to do. I ordered the drip wax last night, after reading that on ZFC's site. I would have thought that the water would run right off of the chain, and you could just run it though a micro fiber cloth. I usually only ride in the rain if I get caught in it. Dust and mud I get much more often.
The water does run right off the chain but not in the right place. In a perfect world, the wax should keep any water from infiltrating into the chain. If the chain was freshly waxed and immersed in water (without moving the chain), the wax would do just that. But as the chain moves, wax is moved away from all of the contact points. Because it is a solid, wax doesn’t flow back so the metal at all the contact points becomes exposed and can form rust when it gets wet. That’s where the “wax washes off” idea comes from. Wax, however, has zero water solubility.

Oil, on the other hand, does flow and can backfill when it is pushed out of the pressure points. However, this ability to flow is also the downfall of oil. Grit gets entrained in the oil and is pumped into the pressure points where it does its damage. Water also gets emulsified with the oil which can cause rust as well. The oil, however, masks the sound of rusty links. They are there but you can’t hear them. Oil really should be refreshed after rain just as wax should.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-14-24, 08:33 AM
CaptMike

Thank you, Stuart. So following up with the Drip Wax should suffice after riding in the rain? After wiping down the chain? At least for a temp measure? Hopefully. Appreciate it.
Likes For CaptMike: