Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB30 Confused and Need Help!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-24, 06:45 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts

Hey all. Need help with a BB issue. I bought a Cannondale Slice for a TT build and it's marked to take Cannondale's proprietary BB30. I thought the BB30 is a press-fit BB. Yet the frame's BB has threaded aluminum inserts already installed. Is that typical? What am I misunderstanding?
Also, it's my understanding that the BB30 isn't the greatest BB in that it tends to creak. I have no personal experience with it. I also like to use Shimano cranks, none of which are compatible with BB30 (as I understand it.) Praxis makes a conversion BB that allows a BB30 frame to accept Shimano cranks. Here's the link: https://praxiscycles.com/product/shi...f30-68mm-road/

Actually, it looks like that Praxis will not fit a threaded BB. I'm completely lost on this issue. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of knowledge about BB's. Any advice on how I should proceed will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-24, 07:17 PM
ArgoMan

BB30 Confusion

Hey all, I'm not a mechanic, so I hope you all don't mind me coming to this forum for a little direction. I bought a Cannondale Slice for a TT build and it's marked to take Cannondale's proprietary BB30. I thought the BB30 is a press-fit BB. Yet the frame's BB has threaded aluminum inserts already installed. Is that typical? What am I misunderstanding?
Also, it's my understanding that the BB30 isn't the greatest BB in that it tends to creak. I have no personal experience with it. I also like to use Shimano cranks, none of which are compatible with BB30 (as I understand it.) Praxis makes a conversion BB that allows a BB30 frame to accept Shimano cranks. Here's the link: https://praxiscycles.com/product/shi...f30-68mm-road/

Actually, it looks like that Praxis will not fit a threaded BB. I'm completely lost on this issue. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of knowledge about BB's. Any advice on how I should proceed will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-24, 07:20 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3114 Post(s)
Liked 6,719 Times in 3,852 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.

Please do not cross post.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-12-24, 07:44 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Someones probably pressed in an adapter. Can't remember which one I used but my middle kid's cross bike came with a pressfit standard. I pressed in an adapter that takes an english threaded BB. Came in handy when the first BB didn't survive its 3rd race. BB30 and PF30 are both only 68mm wide so installing an insert will let you use a standard width crankset.
Old 05-12-24, 07:49 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,128 Posts
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...RoC0V0QAvD_BwE

If this is what was installed, and it was installed correctly, you now have an English BB and you can't go back.

This might have been done because of squeaking problems that it solved.
Old 05-12-24, 09:18 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by Kontact

If this is what was installed, and it was installed correctly, you now have an English BB and you can't go back.

Thank you. I think that's it. I'll check and post a photo to be sure.
Old 05-13-24, 10:11 AM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by Kontact

Yes, that's exactly what has been installed into my BB. So, I can obtain any standard "English" BB, correct? Do I have to get the exact length, or are they all basically adjustable between 6mm and 73mm.

I should know this stuff alreadyy, right? Thank you!
Old 05-13-24, 10:35 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Yes, that's exactly what has been installed into my BB. So, I can obtain any standard "English" BB, correct? Do I have to get the exact length, or are they all basically adjustable between 6mm and 73mm.

I should know this stuff alreadyy, right? Thank you!
You'll need to refer to the BB instructions that match your chosen crank model. Road bikes are never 73.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-13-24, 11:59 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
I put a Shimano 105 11sp crank onto a BB30 shell with the Praxis adapter and it works just fine. What the prior owner of your bike did should also work, and gives you a lot of flexibility.
Old 05-13-24, 07:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 787 Posts
The OP's bike has been adapted beyond this, but just FWIW, it's pretty easy to adapt/convert a BB/PF30 to a Shimano Hollowtech, or really, any crankset.

I used this thread together PF BB to adapt my wife's BB30 (maybe PF30) bottom bracket shell to her Shimano Hollowtech crankset. Easy, effective. PRAXIS WORKS | CONVERSION BB for Shimano HT2 Road cranks. (praxiscycles.com)

Aside - both Wheels Mfg and Praxis make thread-together BBs just as an alternative to simply pressing them in. I use one on a PF30 BB with a Sram DUB crankset and it works silently and was easy to install. Lots of reviews and DIY videos of these things online.

I also used these simple shims for a while, and really, they worked fine. BB30 Adapter for 24mm Spindle Cranks (Shimano, FSA, etc.) (wheelsmfg.com) This is the ultimate in simple easy to use press fit - Shimano adapters. I switched to the above not because she was having any issue, but as the family mechanic, responsible for "never problems", I decided to use the above product thinking that it's probably less likely to cause issues.