Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Little 500 Wa.Post

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Little 500 Wa.Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 01:53 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 232 Posts
Little 500 Wa.Post

If you can open the link, check out the Washington Post article on the Little 500. If single speeds on a cinder track aren’t CV, I don’t know what is.
Didnt go to IU, never seen the race, but did ride one of the bikes that a friend of friend had for summer trading. What a beast to ride!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-race-indiana/
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 05-14-24, 02:48 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
If you can open the link, check out the Washington Post article on the Little 500. If single speeds on a cinder track aren’t CV, I don’t know what is.
Didnt go to IU, never seen the race, but did ride one of the bikes that a friend of friend had for summer trading. What a beast to ride!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-race-indiana/
Thanks for posting this article. I subscribe to the post and saw this. Very cool.
Old 05-14-24, 03:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1304 Post(s)
Quoted: 4709 Post(s)
Liked 5,894 Times in 2,316 Posts
Cutters FTW!
Old 05-14-24, 03:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked 6,876 Times in 2,658 Posts
I wondered about the logic behind a fixed gear with a coaster brake. For extra stopping power?
Old 05-14-24, 04:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 829 Posts
Looks like a serious, fun event. I see the attraction. Reminds me of neighborhood racing in a shallow gravel pit as a teenager. It's been a very long time since I attempted to mount a bike in such a way as the young lady shown in the video.
Old 05-14-24, 05:39 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 1,150 Posts
I'll bet @Mad Honk could tell us some stories.
Brent

Old 05-14-24, 05:51 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 735 Posts
I read that the non-college locals were actually called "stoners" (from stone-cutters) but the makers of the film were worried about a different connotation, so they changed to to "cutters"
Old 05-14-24, 07:03 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,168 Posts
Sherman,
I CAN tell a few stories, Do you have a couple of days?
I rode in the twentieth race in 1971 and the race that year used AMF bikes with 26" wheels and balloon tires. The first races used Schwinn frames which were a lot heavier and were great for strength training. The race has evolved with a lot of changes, but the basics are still a single speed bike with the same gear for all teams. IN grad skool I worked as a mechanical steward for the race. It paid $200 for the entire spring season of running the bike shop under the stadium seating and being on premises for all races during the run up to the big event. I wound up spending a lot of pre-race nights checking bikes for safety violations and the occasional gear violation. Calling a team mechanic and overseeing them get the bike right. You can likely get a confirmation from alexihnen as to how this works; he was on the student board and did the same things I did. I think he even shows a Little 500 number plate as part of his avatar.
The bikes utilize an Ashtabula type of crank system, and a single speed kick back brake system. I think I can still overhaul one of them in my sleep. The rear hub has changed over time from a Bendix style hub to the current Shimano model. I don't think a new Departure hub was ever used.(likely because the brakes could not stop as quickly as the other models).
The bike exchanges utilize differing methods, but the basic one is the rider exits the bike on the right while standing on the pedal braking and the rider getting on the bike jumps on from the left and steps on the pedal to mount. But if the pedal is missed the rider has to jump on the bike to mount. Another method is to do a bike exchange by a hand slap from the leaving rider to the new rider.
The cinder track has been the same through out the series. The first track surrounded the football field that had been used since the early part of the 20th century. It was where I raced and where we filmed "Breaking Away". Th race is currently held in the Armstrong Soccer stadium names for Bill Armstrong who was a University personality who ran the IU foundation, the parent organization for the Student Foundation that runs the race. There are still a lot of friends that I have from the time of being involved with the Little 500.

BTW Sherman - The Wayback parts came from the stash of Charles Eckert who coached the Stetina brothers that raced in the 500. Smiles, MH
Old 05-14-24, 07:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,168 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I read that the non-college locals were actually called "stoners" (from stone-cutters) but the makers of the film were worried about a different connotation, so they changed to to "cutters"
Rob,
The derogatory term was actually "Stonies" the folks related to the stone cutting history of the area. The town in 1971 was deeply divided and the college students dared not go west of the main N-S street in Bloomington. I know of two students who are no longer with us due to those circumstances. There were still vestiges of a racial divide as well (my name was pronounced as a racial slur by many folks and I got a double dose of that divide both in Gary and in Bloomington).
There have been many changes over the past 50 years and the city is now pretty well an example of diversity and inclusion. And I, for one am pretty glad about it. Smiles, Mad Honk

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-14-24 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-15-24, 06:28 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I wondered about the logic behind a fixed gear with a coaster brake. For extra stopping power?
They are not fixed gear -- they are single speeds -- without the coaster brakes they'd have no brakes at all!
Old 05-15-24, 08:25 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by JulesCW
They are not fixed gear -- they are single speeds -- without the coaster brakes they'd have no brakes at all!
Well, that makes more sense! When the brakeless fixie craze was passing through the Boston area some years back, I swear I saw a few brakeless single speeds!
Old 05-15-24, 10:58 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,141 Posts
I wish there was more Ashtabula C and V in the Little 500. Not too long ago Versus showed the race and it was boring with very little bike exchanging among the teams at the front led by ringers. Breaking Away is one of my favorite movies and I show it to my students on some stupid "instructional days" after final grades are submitted. They initially object to the all white cast but then relate to the class consciousness aspect. Can you spot the diversity in the Little 500 photo in the WP?

Last edited by Classtime; 05-15-24 at 06:38 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 05-15-24, 01:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7396 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,493 Posts
From the article:

correction
A previous version of this story incorrectly described the bicycles as being fixed-gear. They are single-speed. The error has been corrected.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-15-24, 01:29 PM
nlerner

^ I guess I wasn’t imagining that.
Likes For nlerner: