Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike Radar

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 08:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4315 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Would you like the radar to not warn of the one vehicle that is about to hit you?
It doesn’t distinguish “that one vehicle” at all.
Old 05-15-24, 09:15 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Even if it worked great, I don't imagine there's any way to reliably predict which drivers are going to hit me from behind and which are going to swing around and pass safely (defined as no contact).
It can’t do this, obviously. (No one has made the claim it could.) So, that can’t be its purpose.

It’s more of a “don’t mosey left” warning device. You get a longer off awareness than a mirror provides. And it might be useful for people who can’t hear cars. It might be more useful when there are fewer cars.

Secondly, there's the question of timing, Even in the best of worlds, with excellent accuracy, I don't believe, I can get warned soon enough to react effectively. So, I don't want to ride where I'm repetitively diving for shoulders, or tuning out false alarms. If I can't use info effectively, I don't need to have my peace
This is just strange. People who use (and like) them are “repetitively diving for shoulders. You have no idea how these are used.

Ask those who live with automated warning alarms, ie. jet pilots, and they'll tell you how too many alarms is as bad, or worse, as never having alarms in the first place.
If people have an issue with this, they can turn off the alarms. It’s not the dire situation you make it out as.

It might be age, experience, or worldview, but even for free, I'm not interested.
After trying one for a while, I find it doesn’t do much for me. Lots of people like them a lot. It’s nice they have the option even if you “not interested”.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-15-24 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 09:33 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Implementing this additional capability would require either (a) the radar to sweep back and forth and a processor to calculate the resulting differences in the Doppler shifts or (b) adding a rear facing camera and a processor to correlate the respective data stream from the radar and the camera.
This is not true.

There are “presence detectors” that use “mmWave” and track
multiple moving objects with no moving parts or cameras.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-15-24, 09:35 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

This just strange. People who use (and like) them are “repetitively diving for shoulders. You have no idea how these are used.
You're taking this too literally, and distorting it by removing the context provided by the preceding sentence. My point was that the unit wouldn't provide any actionable information (for me), since it can't distinguish between cars that are a danger to me from those that aren't.

But you are right that I have no idea how these are used by others. However, that's not something I need to care about.

Nor does the fact that I've no interest in using it, imply any judgement about other people's choices. I don't do, nor judge, what lots of people do, and do what lots of people don't, and it works out fine.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-15-24 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 09:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked 7,524 Times in 3,028 Posts
You're taking this too literally, and distorting it by removing the context provided by the preceding sentence. My point was that the unit wouldn't provide any actionable information (for me), since it can't distinguish between cars that are a danger to me from those that aren't.
They do provide useful actionable information -- just not that particular piece of information. So, yes, if that's all you care about it's clearly not for you.
Old 05-15-24, 09:56 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
Depending on how you view it, the traffic alert will change the color of the screen section based on vehicle proximity.
red is potential dedz
yellow, stay mellow
Old 05-15-24, 10:05 AM
njkayaker

Your “actionable” was “diving into the shoulder” That’s deranged. The context doesn’t help you. No one does that.

But you are right that I have no idea how these are used by others. However, that's not something I need to care about.
I’m not sure if co

Nor does the fact that I've no interest in using it, imply any judgement about other people's choices. I don't do, nor judge, what lots of people do, and do what lots of people don't, and it works out fine.
The not understanding how people use them, the whole “to many alarms”, the “too much reliance on technology” (paraphrased), and the “diving onto the shoulder” nonsense all add up as kind of “judgy” and disapproving.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-15-24 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 10:11 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked 2,166 Times in 1,227 Posts
since it can't distinguish between cars that are a danger to me from those that aren't.

I think we are missing the point of the very basic function, with an assumption that ALL cars coming up behind you are a danger to you potentially and that the radar at minimum warns you that there’s a vehicle approaching. You want to know if one of those vehicles has a driver who is not paying attention and will hit you. Nothing can do that. All a radar unit can do is warn you of an approaching vehicle. Some folks use mirrors for this, I use a mirror but am on occasion not watching and miss that a car is behind me. What I desire of the radar is to fill in for when I miss what is visible in the mirror.
Old 05-15-24, 10:37 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Your “actionable” was “diving into the shoulder” That’s deranged. The context doesn’t help you. No one does that.

I’m not sure if co

The not understanding how people use them, the whole “to many alarms”, the “too much reliance on technology” (paraphrased), and the “diving onto the shoulder” nonsense all add up as kind of “judgy” and disapproving.
I'm not going to argue. I posted why I wasn't interested in acquiring this bit of tech, and am happy to let people decide for themselves.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-15-24, 10:57 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked 7,524 Times in 3,028 Posts
I'm not going to argue. I posted why I wasn't interested in acquiring this bit of tech, and am happy to let people decide for themselves.
I think people would be more receptive to your opinion if your lack of interest wasn't based on an unrealistic expectation.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-15-24, 11:03 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,072 Posts
This is not true.

There are “presence detectors” that use “mmWave” and track
multiple moving objects with no moving parts or cameras.
Does the Trek CarBack have an mm wave radar? I did not know that those are already on the market. The mm wave presence detectors seem to be designed for interior space?

How does an mm Wave radar / presence detector distinguish between: (1) an object that has shifted its lateral position; (2) an object that has slightly changed its speed; (3) multiple objects, side-by-side, closing at slightly different speeds?

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-15-24 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 11:29 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 93 Posts
Does the Trek CarBack have an mm wave radar? I did not know that those are already on the market. The mm wave presence detectors seem to be designed for interior space?

How does an mm Wave radar / presence detector distinguish between: (1) an object that has shifted its lateral position; (2) an object that has slightly changed its speed; (3) multiple objects, side-by-side, closing at slightly different speeds?
The Trek CarBack operates at a much higher frequency than the Varia, so it “should” be more accurate, but GP Lama reports it isn’t.

Answers to questions

1. Would require more than one emitter or an array.

2. Change in the Doppler shift in the radar return.

3. Different return for each object with a different Doppler shift for each.

Cheers, Mike
Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 05-15-24, 11:32 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think people would be more receptive to your opinion if your lack of interest wasn't based on an unrealistic expectation.
There's no expectation, either realistic or not, here. Simply a statement that, for me, the info it offers isn't enough to cross the line from pass to buy.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-15-24, 01:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
... Would require more than one emitter or an array. ...
Looking into this further, it seems that the ability to detect lateral position would require at least two emitters transmitting at different frequencies that are sufficiently far apart that they would not overlap even with Doppler shifts, right?
Old 05-15-24, 01:43 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Looking into this further, it seems that the ability to detect lateral position would require at least two emitters transmitting at different frequencies that are sufficiently far apart that they would not overlap even with Doppler shifts, right?
That would be one way to do it. The other is with a pulsed array. No idea which is cheaper, I doubt either would be affordable for consumers. Likely use a lot of power too.
Old 05-15-24, 01:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

That would be one way to do it. The other is with a pulsed array. No idea which is cheaper, I doubt either would be affordable for consumers. Likely use a lot of power too.
Yeah, which brings me back to my original question: how does the Trek CarBack do it? It has an MSRP of $200, same as the Garmin Varia RTL-515 that many of us use.
Old 05-15-24, 01:53 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Yeah, which brings me back to my original question: how does the Trek CarBack do it? It has an MSRP of $200, same as the Garmin Varia RTL-515 that many of us use.
If you see the initial reviews, it doesn't do it (well).
Old 05-15-24, 02:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by howaboutme
If you see the initial reviews, it doesn't do it (well).
Yes, I see that. I am more asking / wondering about how Trek implements this feature and tests the implementation to determine / justify saying that it can detect the lateral position of an approaching vehicle.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-15-24 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 03:51 PM
njkayaker

Does the Trek CarBack have an mm wave radar?
It might (not sure).

The mm wave presence detectors seem to be designed for interior space?
I only know of the interior sensors. I'm not sure why they couldn't be used outside.

Black magic, I think. Actually, it looks like they have two antennas that are separated a bit. The mmwave sensors can detect breathing. It would seem it should have no problems detecting slightly different or changing speeds. The indoor sensors can track a limited number of objects (like 3).
Old 05-15-24, 03:55 PM
njkayaker

It might be age, experience, or worldview, but even for free, I'm not interested.
Why would anybody care?

Your "whys" were kind of dismissive too.

So, it's something you don't know much about and don't care to learn anything about. Is telling people you are "not interested" in it at all useful to them? (Hint: no, it's not useful at all.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-15-24 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 03:58 PM
PromptCritical 

It might (not sure).

I only know of the interior sensors. I'm not sure why they couldn't be used outside.

Black magic, I think. Actually, it looks like they have two antennas that are separated a bit. The mmwave sensors can detect breathing. It would seem it should have no problems detecting slightly different or changing speeds. The indoor sensors can track a limited number of objects (like 3).
"mm wave radar" refers to the wavelength of the radar. The smaller the wavelength (higher frequency) the more accurate the radar can be. Indoor mm wave radar devices (intrusion sensors) are cost effective because they are aimed at the mass market which drives the cost down due to high production volumes and competition between providers. The total number of bike radars sold will be a minuscule fraction of the indoor sensors sold.
Old 05-15-24, 04:04 PM
njkayaker

"mm wave radar" refers to the wavelength of the radar. The smaller the wavelength (higher frequency) the more accurate the radar can be. Indoor mm wave radar devices (intrusion sensors) are cost effective because they are aimed at the mass market which drives the cost down due to high production volumes and competition between providers. The total number of bike radars sold will be a minuscule fraction of the indoor sensors sold.
Why can't the bike radars use the same (or similar) sensors that are "cost effective"?

They aren't really "intrusion detectors". They are more than just that. They can track objects within a space. They can detect motion as subtle as breathing.
Old 05-15-24, 04:09 PM
FBinNY 

Why would anybody care?

Your "whys" were kind of dismissive too.

So, it's something you don't know much about and don't care to learn anything about. Is telling people you are "not interested" in it at all useful to them? (Hint: no, it's not useful at all.)
About as useful as your unprovoked attacks. However, it's a forum and we each post reflective of our worldviews.

Some say what they think, others prefer to attack what people think. So, you be you and I'll be me.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-15-24, 04:16 PM
njkayaker

About as useful as your unprovoked attacks. However, it's a forum and we each post reflective of our worldviews.

Some say what they think, others prefer to attack what people think. So, you be you and I'll be me.
Again, people can comment about your comments. Even criticize them. You shouldn't say misleading things (the "dive into the shoulder" nonsense) and expect to immune comments about that.

Why have this in your sig?

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-15-24 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 04:18 PM
FBinNY 

Again, people can comment about your comments. Even criticize them. You shouldn't say misleading things (the "dive into the shoulder" nonsense) and expect to immune comments about that.
Absolutely. Feel free to continue being who you are. May you future be filled with people of similar mindset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.