Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Constantly logged out

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 03:15 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 86 Posts
Constantly logged out

I have had a problem recently with the site logging me out, even with the page staying open in my browser. It's to the point that today I can logged in, read for a while, started a post, and when I went to post it, found that I'd been logged out and had to log in again. This is not happening with other sites.

Obviously I'm hitting 'remember me' every time I log in, but to no avail. I'm on Chrome on a Mac; the browser is the latest version that's compatible with my OS, which is Mojave, so not recent. No updates or changes on my end recently. Any help appreciated.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-13-24, 05:32 PM
IBkatherine
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I have had a problem recently with the site logging me out, even with the page staying open in my browser. It's to the point that today I can logged in, read for a while, started a post, and when I went to post it, found that I'd been logged out and had to log in again. This is not happening with other sites.

Obviously I'm hitting 'remember me' every time I log in, but to no avail. I'm on Chrome on a Mac; the browser is the latest version that's compatible with my OS, which is Mojave, so not recent. No updates or changes on my end recently. Any help appreciated.
Please try to clear your cache and cookies for the site, and see if it continues to log you out. It definitely shouldn't log you out that quickly or at all for that matter.
Old 05-14-24, 10:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6348 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,408 Posts
The only time that has ever happened to me is when for some reason the "remember me" box gets cleared.

Any time you clear your cache then you'll also likely clear that persistent cookie that gets set for that "remember me" function. So you'll have to again check that box and log in to the forum.

Perhaps if you are using some aggressive malware checking program or app, it might have gotten set up to remove the persistent cookie or whatever it is that gets set now when this is done. I think long ago, some browsers had a security setting that would clear all such cookies when the browser was closed. Might even still be there. But usually the default installation has that disabled.
Old 05-14-24, 11:07 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 86 Posts
I should have thought of that before I wrote in. Did so this morning and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

Originally Posted by IBkatherine
Please try to clear your cache and cookies for the site, and see if it continues to log you out. It definitely shouldn't log you out that quickly or at all for that matter.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 05-15-24, 05:54 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded); 1989 Miyata 512 (58cm; $50, thrift buy); KHS Classic (63cm, 12-spd); Schwinn World Sport (58cm); Schwinn Voyageur (58cm)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I lost two paragraphs of text TODAY, in my Miyata 512 thread, because of this RIDICULOUS issue that has PLAGUED this forum for as along as I've been here.
Here's what happened ... completely serious ... was composing a follow up reply to another member Miyata 512 ... had to use the John ... came back ... added a few more words and submitted. And then the Logged Out message. So I simply followed the prompts ... usually, all is okay. But this time, something got stuck ... and it wasn't me as i have a clean movement ... but the BF screen was white for 10 - 15 min. And there was nothing posted. I clocked back arraor as sometimes the Aut-Save will have a copy in the buffer. But nope/
Two whole paragraphs and 1/2 hr poof gone.
Come on Admin ... this is plumbing emergency.
Old 05-16-24, 10:02 AM
IBkatherine
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
I lost two paragraphs of text TODAY, in my Miyata 512 thread, because of this RIDICULOUS issue that has PLAGUED this forum for as along as I've been here.
Here's what happened ... completely serious ... was composing a follow up reply to another member Miyata 512 ... had to use the John ... came back ... added a few more words and submitted. And then the Logged Out message. So I simply followed the prompts ... usually, all is okay. But this time, something got stuck ... and it wasn't me as i have a clean movement ... but the BF screen was white for 10 - 15 min. And there was nothing posted. I clocked back arraor as sometimes the Aut-Save will have a copy in the buffer. But nope/
Unfortunately the only thing we can recommend doing for you to avoid losing a draft is to type it up in a separate text editor. You can also try to clear your cache and cookies for the site- it may help with the logging out issue, but there really is no way to tell (since you said it randomly happens)
Likes For IBkatherine:
Old 05-17-24, 08:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by elcyc
So have you performed any of the remedies?

Clear your cache. Then when you next sign on, make certain to check the remember me box.

If you don't wish to check the remember me box, then you can do like I use to do and remember to copy your reply before you post. Then you can paste it back if you are required to sign in after attempting to submit the reply.
Old 05-17-24, 10:01 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded); 1989 Miyata 512 (58cm; $50, thrift buy); KHS Classic (63cm, 12-spd); Schwinn World Sport (58cm); Schwinn Voyageur (58cm)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So have you performed any of the remedies?

Clear your cache. Then when you next sign on, make certain to check the remember me box.

If you don't wish to check the remember me box, then you can do like I use to do and remember to copy your reply before you post. Then you can paste it back if you are required to sign in after attempting to submit the reply.
Been there done that ... since forever.
The problem with "Remember Me" is that it never worked from the get go. I run Windows 7 and the latest Linux Mint, multiple computers. Same issue. The "Remember" forgets.
Not sure about phones. May work better ???
Old 05-17-24, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

elcyc Might be some browser issue. On Win7, Firefox is the only browser that still officially supports operations on Win7. Microsoft doesn't even support it's own browsers for use with Win7. That doesn't mean those browsers wont work. Just that as time goes by and more things change, you'll see quirks happening or things that just don't work correctly. But more likely your issue might be what I said in reply #3 above.

As for Linux Mint, have you tried different browsers. It's been a few years since I've run Mint, but it was the same for me with Mint. No issues as long as I had the "remember me" box checked at login. I used it with chrome and firefox. I don't remember if I ever used Duck Duck Go with BF.

But quite possibly your browser isn't hanging on to that persistent cookie for some reason. Although I don't know for certain that is the method BF uses for that process. But commonly it use to be. And since when I clear my browser cache I have to sign in again, I will think that's how they still do that.
Old 05-26-24, 02:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,583 Posts
I've never had trouble with "remember me" on linux. I usually use chrome though