Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any Ebay customs charges or fees ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 03:53 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts

Did some searches, and did not find anything. So here is my pretty basic question.

I figured that folks in Classic and Vintage would have some experience in this area. Have found a couple of items from UK shops on ebay. Could not located a source for these in the states.

Nothing very expensive, 50.00 or less.

Now for the question. Are there customs fees, import , taxes , or any charges that I would be hit with if I purchased them?

Ebay shows a fairly inexpensive tax on them when looking at the checkout page, but are there other charges that are likely?
Is there a dollar figure that must be met before you need to concern yourself with fees associated with “ importing” an item?

Thanks
Old 07-07-20, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3796 Post(s)
Liked 5,789 Times in 2,924 Posts
I've ordered lots of times from UK but not via ebay. The threshold for having to pay customs is pretty high. I've ordered stuff in the $800 range w/o extra fees. You could Google. Also, you won't pay VAT. I expect ebay would disclose any of their own fees. I've heard of shipping companies trying to charge hidden fees, I think DHL had a rep.
Old 07-07-20, 06:11 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Custom fees are charge by US Customs, not eBay. There is likely no duty on a $50 bicycle part.Sometimes the carrier (DHL, FDX) will charge you duty. They are usually incorrect, but the fight isn't worth your time. USPS rarely charges duty, IME.
Old 07-07-20, 06:58 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 3,533 Times in 1,152 Posts
I have recently purchased similarly priced items from eBay UK, eBay France, and eBay Italy. I have not been charged a customs fee. On the other hand your bank or credit card that you have linked to your PayPal account may charge you a "foreign transaction fee" for paying in a currency other than U.S. dollars. In my experience most don't but a few do. You can check with them.
Brent
Old 07-07-20, 07:20 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 405 Posts
If the seller uses the Global Shipping Program on ebay you will be charged the customs/duty charges at the point of sale. This is actually a license to steal for pitney bowes and ebay.
Old 07-07-20, 07:41 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked 3,519 Times in 1,232 Posts
There are no US customs charges for items purchased overseas and shipped to you for less than $800.
I order from overseas providers, both commercial and private, all the time, through eBay and not through eBay.
You often have to wait longer for things to arrive, but that’s it.
Old 07-07-20, 08:13 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
There are no US customs charges for items purchased overseas and shipped to you for less than $800.
I order from overseas providers, both commercial and private, all the time, through eBay and not through eBay.
You often have to wait longer for things to arrive, but that’s it.
That's only if the ebay seller does not use the Global shipping program... Check some of the ebay adds in the UK. If the seller lists in his ad "No additional import charges on delivery", to be calculated at point of sale these are the import charges. These are charged separately from the shipping charges.
Old 07-07-20, 10:21 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
Do not buy anything shipped to your country through the: Global Shipping Program. You will be charged huge arbitrary fees that are multiples of what your border agents actually require you to remit.
Old 07-08-20, 03:39 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked 1,787 Times in 959 Posts
I have been buying and selling on Ebay for a couple of decades now. In general, if something is less than fifty bucks, there is no interaction on the part of customs. In all my years of buying through Ebay, only once have I been nailed with import costs and that was on an item that exceeded $100.00.

Basically, it is a luck of the draw thing, I think. More often that not, it is not worth the time for customs to look deeper. I do know that some of my incoming packages have been opened by customs, but rarely (only once) are any charges or instructions added. Guess I am lucky that way. In fact, the most recent package I got was from a fellow forum member, a lovely old Italian five speed freewheel, and it had obviously been opened at customs. Repackaged, sort of, and then in it came with no additional costs to me.
Old 05-16-24, 12:37 AM
Pop Alexandra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Do not buy anything shipped to your country through the: Global Shipping Program. You will be charged huge arbitrary fees that are multiples of what your border agents actually require you to remit.
Thanks for the tip! I was just about to consider it a viable option.
Old 05-16-24, 04:12 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 675 Posts
Well I paid customs charges when buying items from ebay USA and importing them to Europe but they were acceptable
Old 05-16-24, 05:23 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,120 Posts
It would really help if those who have been charged customs fees expand upon their experience and provide more information.

It would help to know what was purchased, if it was new or used, what was the purchase price, and - if you still have the label for reference - what the seller filled in to the customs form for value, description, and the HS code.

Thanks.

-Kurt

Old 05-16-24, 05:30 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 84 Posts
Interesting thread. I am looking at buying from the US via a private sale and spending a couple of thousand dollars. The main problem is security, even thought the seller is, I am sure a diamond guy.
My finacial advisor (Wife for short) has no problem with the purchase but insists on a secure purchase. I am also concerned if the parcel goes missing he will be covered for its loss as well as me.

The safest way seems to be eBay global shipping, and the only other option paypal. The charge from eBay is 13.25% to the seller (which I would have to cover), 20% vat to the UK HMRC and shipping charges on top.

The vat is recoverable up to 4 years down the line if I form a company (which I should be ready for by next year), the 13.25% is acceptable in a “stuck in the throat” kind of way, but really, I do not see any other way to secure a single shipment?

Any ideas anyone, from either side of the pond, to a secure, guaranteed & refund if it is not posted, lost in the post, item completely not as described or damaged in transit etc?

People do complain about eBay charges, but I look upon it as engaging a third party to oversee and refund if they do not deliver what you ordered, and most people would charge you more than 13.25% in my experience. Is paypal as good as eBay?

All ideas welcome. Perhaps I should fly there and back myself!
Old 05-16-24, 06:11 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked 1,349 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
Interesting thread. I am looking at buying from the US via a private sale and spending a couple of thousand dollars. The main problem is security, even thought the seller is, I am sure a diamond guy.
[...]
The safest way seems to be eBay global shipping, and the only other option paypal. The charge from eBay is 13.25% to the seller (which I would have to cover), 20% vat to the UK HMRC and shipping charges on top.
Hope diamond was sent in the post.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-16-24, 08:12 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 311 Posts
The only Customs contact that I've had was when some dolt delayed delivery on a gun stock that he thought was some "endangered" sort of wood. It is actually hydrocoated CF.

Never have paid a penny on anything.
Old 05-16-24, 01:25 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 351 Posts
Thought I would add my $0.02. I am in Canada and have (had, as I will explain momentarily) found that using UPS, FedEx or any of the other shippers had invariably resulted in a brokerage fee of at least $30, including using eBay global shipping. The only reliable way I had avoided customs fees was through USPS (or other country postal service) through Canada post, and even then only if the value was under $100.

Until recently: I purchased a book that cost me close to $100, shipped through USPS, and not only did I pay import duty (on a book!) but also paid customs fees of around $25. Looks like for we Canucks the free ride is over!
Old 05-16-24, 01:27 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 351 Posts
My finacial advisor (Wife for short) has no problem with the purchase but insists on a secure purchase. I am also concerned if the parcel goes missing he will be covered for its loss as well as me.

The vat is recoverable up to 4 years down the line if I form a company (which I should be ready for by next year), the 13.25% is acceptable in a “stuck in the throat” kind of way, but really, I do not see any other way to secure a single shipment?

Any ideas anyone, from either side of the pond, to a secure, guaranteed & refund if it is not posted, lost in the post, item completely not as described or damaged in transit etc?

People do complain about eBay charges, but I look upon it as engaging a third party to oversee and refund if they do not deliver what you ordered, and most people would charge you more than 13.25% in my experience. Is paypal as good as eBay?

All ideas welcome. Perhaps I should fly there and back myself!
I don’t think the eBay global shipping will do anything about securing your purchase; I think it’s just to make global paperwork easier. Given the amount of the purchase I would indeed consider flying over myself. I understand flights are cheap right now.
Likes For markk900:
Old 05-16-24, 01:41 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked 3,926 Times in 1,433 Posts
Avoid DHL. They, not ebay, will charge customs fees. I have never had another shipper charge me, only DHL.
Old 05-16-24, 03:24 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by cudak888
It would really help if those who have been charged customs fees expand upon their experience and provide more information.

It would help to know what was purchased, if it was new or used, what was the purchase price, and - if you still have the label for reference - what the seller filled in to the customs form for value, description, and the HS code.

Thanks.

-Kurt
purchase of yesterday pair of new old stock mavic ex 721 ssc rims (extremely scarce and very hard to find high end down hill free ride rims) bought from ebay usa : price in € 386,80 shipping cost in € 80,86 and import duties in € 101,85 total price in € 569,58
purchase of a rock shox sid titanium race fork last month bought from ebay usa: price in $ 300 shipping cost in $ 82,05 and import duties in $ 76,41 total price in $ 458,44
Those are the two most expensive spare parts I bought from ebay us but considering their rarity and the condition for the price I paid those items for it is reasonable since those are unfindable on the European market. My most expensive road bike frames are from ebay Europe, my best deals in terms of MTB frames are from Germany and the UK on ebay, my best deal in terms of road bike frame was from ebay USA. All is a matter of what one wants to put for a rare and very good condition item. Before purchasing a frame, I have spent hours, days and weeks for chosing what I think is the best and carefully analyzing photos. I never plan to buy a rustbucket or something in average condition and when I put money in a bike project , I always chose the best components that I can buy.

Last edited by georges1; 05-16-24 at 04:36 PM.
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-16-24, 04:01 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked 3,926 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
purchase of ....
The reverse to the EU sounds much worse than shipping to the US.

Again, DHL has hit me with import duties, but absolutely no other carrier. I think the last was an Ekar group from Lord Gun. Purchase price was about $1050. Import tax I think was about $60.
Old 05-16-24, 04:34 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by iab
The reverse to the EU sounds much worse than shipping to the US.

Again, DHL has hit me with import duties, but absolutely no other carrier. I think the last was an Ekar group from Lord Gun. Purchase price was about $1050. Import tax I think was about $60.
I buy in the US what is not findable in Europe, all of my purchases from ebay US have always brought me very good and very rare items. You can't bypass customs and duties when you buy from the US and import the goods in Europe.
Old 05-16-24, 04:34 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Originally Posted by markk900
I don’t think the eBay global shipping will do anything about securing your purchase; I think it’s just to make global paperwork easier. Given the amount of the purchase I would indeed consider flying over myself. I understand flights are cheap right now.
https://pages.ebay.com/buy/globalshippingprogram/faq-buyer.html#faq=benefits-2

“The Global Shipping Program expands your shopping horizons by thousands of items in hundreds of categories. This means greater selection for millions of buyers around the globe. And with protections in place for both buyer and seller, shopping globally is just as easy and worry-free as shopping locally.

Buyers can also keep an eye on the progress of their shipment with end-to-end international tracking. Plus, buyers are protected if the item is lost or damaged during international transit.

The GSP makes things simple for buyers by automatically calculating import and shipping charges for international purchases upon checkout. Before purchasing, the buyer sees the item price plus all fees. That means no surprise charges and no additional fees upon delivery”.

Ok, has anybody had to claim for a high value item or have experienced loss in transit and eBay came good on the promises?
Likes For awac:
Old 05-16-24, 04:38 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Ok, has anybody had to claim for a high value item or have experienced loss in transit and eBay came good on the promises?
Nope , never had to claim for a high value item or loss in transit, all my purchases from ebay whether expensive or not so expensive came fine on my side.
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-17-24, 12:46 AM
awac

Originally Posted by georges1
Nope , never had to claim for a high value item or loss in transit, all my purchases from ebay whether expensive or not so expensive came fine on my side.
I have also had good experience using eBay. So are we agreed it is the safest way to buy something then? The eBay charges then are reasonable? The custom fees are correct (hey, I know we all would like to buy without charges, but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes- B Franklin)?
Likes For awac:
Old 05-17-24, 01:48 AM
georges1
Steel is real

I have also had good experience using eBay. So are we agreed it is the safest way to buy something then? The eBay charges then are reasonable? The custom fees are correct (hey, I know we all would like to buy without charges, but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes- B Franklin)?
I totally agree. The charges are reasonable and also you can find on ebay what is not necessary sold anymore in your country. (Germany, USA, UK, Spain and Italy have a long history of restoring and retromodding old bikes that is not the case in France) and customs fees are correct. At the end of the day, you end up with a project cheaper than a modern bike and of better quality than a new modern bike.
Likes For georges1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.