Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Screws, bolts etc?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Screws, bolts etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 02:39 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock - 2009 | Specialized Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Screws, bolts etc?

I'm relatively new to bike mechanics and have been trying to learn / do all of the work on my bike (minus truing, not gonna buy a truing stand). I have a couple of semi-rounded screws on my rim brake clipers (specifically the ones used to adjust pad distance). Wondering if there are semi-universal bolt / screw sizings where I could just buy an assorted kit of bolts / screws for my bike to have on hand. Obviously I could just pop the screw out and pop over to home depot but figured I might start here.
Old 05-17-24, 04:26 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 196 Posts
Most of the stuff at Home Depot is home oriented. They really do not have a lot of even automotive hardware, and even less bike hardware. I kid you not. I would try asking your local bike shop.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 05-17-24, 05:24 PM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 34 Posts
And while you're at it, you might want to replace the Phillips head screws with stainless steel hex socket head cap screws which are turned with your Allen keys and won't strip out.
Someone here mentioned this recently and I just replaced my derailleur adjustment screws (4mm and I believe the brakes adjusters are also 4mm).
You can buy huge assortments of stainless steel metric fasteners on amazon for cheap. Probably not the highest quality, but sufficient for a bike.
Likes For Paul_P:
Old 05-17-24, 05:32 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
McMaster-Carr has an incredible selection of nuts, bolts and everything under the sun. They also list very detailed specifications about their products (strengths, tolerances, etc). Great site. One could get lost there. Here in San Diego shipping is next morning. Not sure about Denver.

BelMetric has a great selection of metric fasteners.

Both sell very high quality items.
Old 05-17-24, 05:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,579 Posts
The bike world mostly uses 2 threads on brakes. M6x1 on mounting bolts and brake shoes. And M5x.8 for cable pinch bolts.

The M5 is also common elsewhere; on derailleurs, fender eyes, etc.

BITD, we used to sell kits like you're seeking, but I don't know if anything similar is still available.

OTOH, there aren't that many nuts and screws used on bikes, so you can make a single buy and cover all the bases without spending much
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-17-24, 05:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,228 Posts
I have luck finding metric 3-4-5-&6 mm stainless hex head screws at my local Ace hardware.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-17-24, 07:04 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
You can buy huge assortments of stainless steel metric fasteners on amazon for cheap. Probably not the highest quality, but sufficient for a bike.
If you're close enuf to a major (ACE, TrueValue) hardware store you might have an alternate source of metric fasteners available. Hillmann is a major supplier to both retail outlets (and some others) that may make buying local not only more convenient but also a bit less costly than other suppliers like McMaster.

I use McMaster for stuff I can't get from the Hillman array at my local Ace when necessary but the UPS shipping $$ has to be factored into the equation. If I need one or five items, local is vastly cheaper. If it's 20+ the nod goes to McMaster or another vendor.
Likes For spclark:
Old 05-17-24, 07:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlackPumpkin
...semi-rounded screws on my rim brake clipers (specifically the ones used to adjust pad distance). Wondering if there are semi-universal bolt / screw sizings where I could just buy an assorted kit of bolts / screws for my bike to have on hand...
Do note that adjusting and replacing brake pads can be tedious. Take your time. You will note that there are rounded and flat washers, long bolts, and caps that can be rearranged to provide you the best angle and toe of braking power.

My only bike using OEM pads is my Wall Hanger. All the rest have modified and adapted generic "Kool Stop" style brake pads.

Last edited by zandoval; 05-17-24 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 05-17-24, 07:29 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Thanks for all the great information. We've got a massive ACE in the area so I'll check them out and check out Mcmaster if I ever want to pickup a bunch of stuff.

Paul_P Great suggestion, for some reason I didn't even think about this I think my brain just automatically assumed if this was an option they would've used them to begin with, completely ignoring the tiny Allen keys in my set lmao

EDIT: Does make me wonder though if higher-end bikes come stock with better quality fasteners. Roll is a great bike for what it is but it's definitely an entry level and I'm sure they tend to skimp on that stuff the lower in budget you go.

Last edited by TheBlackPumpkin; 05-17-24 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Thoughts
Old 05-17-24, 07:44 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Originally Posted by zandoval
Do note that adjusting and replacing brake pads can be tedious. Take your time. You will note that there are rounded and flat washers, long bolts, and caps that can be rearranged to provide you the best angle and toe of braking power.

My only bike using OEM pads is my Wall Hanger. All the rest have modified and adapted generic "Kool Stop" style brake pads.

Yeah I massively rounded one off when I swapped from stock rims to velocity Dyads and didn't know what I was doing with brake adjusting (tried to just figure it out on my own) and through fatigue and frustration, rounded that sucker. On the bright side I learned a lot of what NOT to do lol

Last edited by TheBlackPumpkin; 05-17-24 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Likes For TheBlackPumpkin:
Old 05-17-24, 08:16 PM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 34 Posts
Just an example :

VIGRUE 304 Stainless Steel Screws and Nuts, M3 M4 M5 M6 Hex Socket Head Cap Screws Assortment Set Kit with Storage Box (520 Pcs Hex Socket Head Cap Screws Nuts)

Then some washers and nyloc nuts.

More than you'll ever need...
Likes For Paul_P:
Old 05-17-24, 08:22 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Originally Posted by Paul_P
Excactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-17-24, 08:59 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 353 Posts
Bicycles don't customarily throw off nuts and bolts, and trying to anticipate what you're likely to break or lose is nearly impossible. Keep your spares, remember your local bike shop has spares, too, and they can order the special-purpose stuff that you'd never find in a hardware store.
Old 05-18-24, 02:47 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have luck finding metric 3-4-5-&6 mm stainless hex head screws at my local Ace hardware.
But I find them the most expensive, only use them when in a pinch

Old 05-21-24, 08:52 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 374 Posts
Excactly what I was looking for.
Be aware that metric fasteners come in multiple pitches, sellers may not state which one - M5 could be M5x0.8 or M5x0.5, M6 could be M6x1.0 or M6x0.75 - the bicycle versions are the more common coarse threads in those cases. But there is potential for confusion: M10x1.0 for derailleur hangers and rear axles, where the coarse pitch is 1.5 and 1.0 is the middle of three fine pitches (0.75 and 1.25 being the others).
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-21-24, 08:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,378 Times in 700 Posts
Don’t forget about AliExpress amazing selection at fantastic prices. Perfect for stocking up hardware.
Old 05-21-24, 09:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 2,071 Posts
I'm relatively new to bike mechanics and have been trying to learn / do all of the work on my bike (minus truing, not gonna buy a truing stand). I have a couple of semi-rounded screws on my rim brake clipers (specifically the ones used to adjust pad distance). Wondering if there are semi-universal bolt / screw sizings where I could just buy an assorted kit of bolts / screws for my bike to have on hand. Obviously I could just pop the screw out and pop over to home depot but figured I might start here.
Better off at somewhere like ACE or McGukins
Old 05-22-24, 05:10 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Be aware that metric fasteners come in multiple pitches....
S"truth that!

Typically there can be more than one or two thread pitches for common metric fastener diameters.

This chart includes some of the 'in-between' sizes less commonly encountered, with their associated thread pitch specs as well as an approximation of Threads Per Inch that might be useful for some applications.

Last edited by spclark; 05-22-24 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-22-24, 07:15 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 770 Posts
Hmmm, at less than 5 cents per piece I have to wonder about the quality of the 304 stainless screws/washers/nuts plus you get several Allen wrenches and tweezers. Just sayin'.