Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do caliper brakes require external cabling?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do caliper brakes require external cabling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 03:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
There are tons of bicycle frames out there I don't know why you would choose some Alibaba and his 40 thieves frame that isn't designed for the brakes you want to use. I mean if you are stuck on Alibaba and his 40 thieves they sell loads of crap and you can find an equally crappy frame with the proper brake mounts. Or you can find a number of other frames from known quantities and qualities that will have support behind them.
Old 05-15-24, 04:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 2,918 Times in 1,592 Posts
Based on past posts by OP, this is going to be a mess at best

Buying cheap frame from aliexpress without knowing details of the frame like headset, rear spacing, etc is not a good start

OP at minimum needs to know frame rear spacing and rear and front spacing of the wheels to be used and make sure they match (also wheel size and what size frame is built for)

I have wasted a lot of money trying to be cheap, I think this will turn out that way

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-15-24, 06:29 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
Even if you could make it work, why would you BUY a frame that needs to be kluged like that? I could only understand doing this if you already had one, but if you are going to buy something, buy something that is compatible. I've looked at buying a new frame to replace my aging one, but bike tech has moved on. I may as well buy a full new bike, with thru axle and disc brakes and electronic shifting.
Likes For zacster:
Old 05-16-24, 08:19 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
The idea was to get rid of all kinds of parts I have by completing a build. The front wheel also has a dynamo hub so I wish I could find a frame that has rear rack eyelets so I can install the rear dynamo light. Can you have a shop tap some threads into the frame or can I just use an adapter in front of the rear caliper?
Old 05-16-24, 08:37 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 507 Posts
You’re in luck, lots of frames have rack mounts and are designed for rim brakes. You’ll need to get more specific to get particular recommendations. The frame you’re currently considering seems all wrong for your needs.
Old 05-16-24, 12:36 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
If you look carefully at the front brake mounting hole, you'll notice that it's not even parallel to the plane of the brakes. There is a taper in the tubing there and the hole is on a slant. So this would be a very unsteady mount for the brake caliper. It's not too clear how the rear brake mounting hole looks, but that one looks to be sheetmetal. So that would be a poor, flexible mounting point for the rear brake.
Just a bad idea overall to try to put caliper brakes on this frame which is completely not designed for them.
It would be possible to make a set of custom half-moon washers that work with the taper. But yeah, without such a thing, the front brake is going to come loose easily, and overtightening it to compensate will result in bending the mounting bolt.
Old 05-16-24, 01:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
The idea was to get rid of all kinds of parts I have by completing a build. The front wheel also has a dynamo hub so I wish I could find a frame that has rear rack eyelets so I can install the rear dynamo light. Can you have a shop tap some threads into the frame or can I just use an adapter in front of the rear caliper?
for fun list your parts and the wheels (diameter and rear wheel OLD 126,130, 135) and people can suggest what type of frames to look for

I think you would be better served by finding an appropriate used steel frame locally and build that

Old 05-16-24, 06:56 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
It's going to be 130mm Tiagra rear hub, 100mm front hub. Parts are going to include 8 speed Ultegra bar-end shifters, Sora 3x8 speed crankset, 11-30T Claris cassette, threadless headset...
Old 05-17-24, 10:53 AM
squirtdad

It's going to be 130mm Tiagra rear hub, 100mm front hub. Parts are going to include 8 speed Ultegra bar-end shifters, Sora 3x8 speed crankset, 11-30T Claris cassette, threadless headset...
what size wheel? assuming 700

IMHO your best bet is to find a cheap or free road bike frame locally, look like you should be looking for a road frame from early 90's and newer for the 130 spacing and or be willing to spread a 126 steel frame

Generally speaking using a mish mash of parts can work, more so if you stay with friction shifting, but trying to fit all parts into a build may complicate the build, so maybe you find a frame that is quill...but fits everything else, call it a win and move forward

lots of ways to have rear light attached with out modding frame if need be

Old 05-17-24, 08:20 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
I was in a bike shop today that only dealt in high end bikes, Pinarello, BMC, S-Works. They are located along one of the bike routes that all the racers and wannabees would ride, 9W/Hudson Terrace in NJ right across the GWB from Manhattan. I was there with my old school Kuota Kredo and felt like a complete old-timer, and yet I could still keep up with them. GFNY was also set up just down the street with the bike expo that goes with it. Also a lot of high end bikes and products. Everything was through axle and disc brakes and a lot of proprietary parts.

My point though is that you are either going to go all in on the latest and greatest or you're going to stay old-school. You can't mix and match them so easily. If you want to use 8sp and 130 wheels and rim brakes, you have to get an older frame.