Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Translate Old Dimensions to Stack and Reach?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 06:25 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts

The frame I raced on back in the day was measured before Stack and Reach became de riguer. I would love to be able to compare its stack and reach with what i s available in the marketplace. Does anyone know if there is an app online or a calculation that can be done with the old style specifications so that i can calculate the stack and reach of my old frame?

This was an old 2002 Bianchi SL Lite frame (59) and Bianchi provided measurements for the following:

1. Seat tube C to T
2. Top Tube (actual)
3. Top Tube (virtual)
4. Head Tube angle
5. Seat Tube angle
6. Stand Over Height
Old 05-17-24, 08:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
This might help:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike-dire...and/?b=Bianchi
Old 05-17-24, 08:37 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4657 Post(s)
Liked 1,800 Times in 1,173 Posts
Because you don't have the head tube height or the top tube slope, there is not enough information to determine where the top of the head tube is.

There are other methods to compare fit that are as or more useful. What are you trying to do?
Old 05-17-24, 08:45 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Almost, but didn’t have that frame and the one they had was wrong size. They don’t have stack and reach anyway.
Old 05-17-24, 08:48 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Kontact
Because you don't have the head tube height or the top tube slope, there is not enough information to determine where the top of the head tube is.

There are other methods to compare fit that are as or more useful. What are you trying to do?
Unfortunately that frame is long gone as it was an aluminum frame and I “tore” the BB cluster like a soda can. It was the best fit I felt I ever had so was trying to use stack and reach to come close with a racing frame from today.
Old 05-17-24, 08:53 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Unfortunately that frame is long gone as it was an aluminum frame and I “tore” the BB cluster like a soda can. It was the best fit I felt I ever had so was trying to use stack and reach to come close with a racing frame from today.
You have enough information to duplicate the horizontal reach, and then it is just question of playing with bar height until that fits. If you remember your stem length and how your setback was derived.

Post two geometries and I'll show you what I mean.
Old 05-18-24, 08:35 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
Not without a plumb bob, a protractor, and some trigonometry. Personally, I can't even remember my stack and reach preferences, but give me dimensions for head tube, virtual top tube, bottom bracket drop, and approximate seat tube angle, and I can approximate the stem height and length.
Old 05-18-24, 09:02 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Not without a plumb bob, a protractor, and some trigonometry. Personally, I can't even remember my stack and reach preferences, but give me dimensions for head tube, virtual top tube, bottom bracket drop, and approximate seat tube angle, and I can approximate the stem height and length.
But he doesn't have all those dimensions.
Old 05-18-24, 01:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
If the original bike had a sloping top tube, which is suggested by the "virtual" measurement, then the seat tube length isn't super useful without the top tube angle. Assuming it's not a virtual seat tube length. However, I feel like I could reverse engineer it fairly well without that if given the actual measurements.

Kona used to label their bikes with actual seat tube length, even though they often had sloping top tubes. There was one bike they called a 58cm that I measured as a 65cm. Makes it really confusing, and I know it cost them at least one sale.
Old 05-19-24, 09:28 AM
gkamieneski

Without the frame still in my possession it seems the only way I can learn anything is if someone else has the same frame or 1 like it, or if the dimensions are published somewhere.

From the 2002 Bianchi catalog I found several frames with the same geometry as my SL Lite Alloy. These were:

SL Lite Alloy
Alloro
SL Aluminum Centaur
XL-Alloy EV4
XL-Alloy EV2
Old 05-19-24, 09:58 AM
gkamieneski

I think I stumbled on my answer. In the Geometry Geeks database there is a 2006 Bianchi Giro (59) with identical measurements and Bianchi even provides stack and reach. Now I can effectively compare a potential bike purchase with my current 2014 (59) Bianchi Intenso (endurance frame) with my old race frame, 59 Bianchi SL Lite Alloy.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/bianchi-giro-2006/

Thanks for everyone's input!
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 05-19-24, 04:13 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Kona used to label their bikes with actual seat tube length, even though they often had sloping top tubes. There was one bike they called a 58cm that I measured as a 65cm. Makes it really confusing, and I know it cost them at least one sale.
Specialized had a line of crossover hybrids sized like that, too, around 2009-10. All the shops ordered as if they were normally sized, so there were a lot of 57s, 59s, and maybe even some 61s, on clearance. A tall guy, maybe 6'6", would walk into the shop and say, "I need a bike for casual riding, don't want to spend a lot." "I have the just the bike for you."