Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Gios Torino Super Record

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 01:23 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Vintage Gios Torino Super Record

Hello,I'm looking at a bike to purchase in New York City where I live for pleasure and commuting purposes. I was very happy to find an exceptionally good bike which is loved by many a Gios Torino Super Record
am almost sure, to purchase this bike although it is a little small being a 48cm , but I am slim and 5'5 , 1/2 inches . So I'm told, and I think it can work ,with playing around with adjustments it also might be very nice for carrying and bringing it into the subway because it is a smaller and extremely light bicycle. some people ( on the forum) really like a small bike ,and others don't .
Value for money, is my interest here. the seller believes it is worth $800,but in perusing and making posts here I'm not so sure. But I really love it. I am including a link to the eBay ad I hope it works if not let me know. The bike does look better in person than in the pictures for some reason and it rides very well wheels are straight functions as it should. Thanks ,any questions let me know.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285473103462
Old 05-14-24, 02:12 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 6,765 Times in 3,869 Posts
Ebay auction says it closed 5 days ago. .

Old 05-14-24, 02:55 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes ,we both live in New York we met each other, because of work ,((This is a private sale)) I was only using the ad he told me about ,as a reference because it contains photographs . You have a right to sell to a friend or associate on craigslist or in an ad in a supermarket . You can look for a buyer and advertise in multiple ways simultaneously.

now back to what is its value. Thank you
Likes For Alexthe:
Old 05-14-24, 05:50 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 507 Posts
Have you taken a test ride on it?
Old 05-14-24, 09:48 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexthe
now back to what is its value. Thank you
...see any number of recent threads on the collapse of the vintage steel bike marketplace. This one is good, because it goes all the way back to 2023. That was once, easily, an $800 bicycle. But there are few, if any buyers, so it's a buyer's market right now.

Edit: there are a couple of sold listings in the $600 range, in the Netherlands. link Otherwise, many listings but few sales. The highest listed prices for classic steel all seem to be from Europe. I guess because maybe there are more collectors with an appreciation for steel history there ? I don't claim to understand.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 05-14-24 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 10:50 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 302 Posts
It really depends on how much you want it. As noted above, $800 is too rich in today's market. For me, it would be $500 max for that bike in that shape. Much better deals to be had. Recently acquired both a Tommasini and a Davidson below $500. But, again, if you really like that bike and it's your size, make an offer and get it!
Old 05-14-24, 11:11 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 173 Posts
Gios Torino Super Records are iconic vintage classics with unique Roger de Vlaeminck credibility. However that one in that size, condition and with tubulars is a $375 bicycle these days, plus or minus $50, from what I’ve seen lately.

According to my opinion anyone prepared to pay north of $500 for it won’t have any competition.
Old 05-14-24, 11:39 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Have you taken a test ride on it?
Yes I have , it rides very well but needs a tuneup. The wheels are straight and spin easily it feels taught and smooth. it needs tires and tubes. Especially tubes I may be able to use the tires for a while. It seems to look better in person than in the picture.
Old 05-15-24, 01:03 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

it needs tires and tubes. Especially tubes I may be able to use the tires for a while.
The bicycle in the listing has tubular tyres, not tyres and tubes. Tubulars have the tube sewn inside the tyre tread and casing and are glued or double-sided taped to the rims.

The rims shown are Mavic GEL280s and will not accept tyres and tubes. They are a very lightweight vintage race rim not always considered especially strong and durable, although lighter, smaller riders (noting the frame size here) were sometimes able to get away with them.

If the seller has swapped the wheels for clinchers and/or you’re familiar with tubular tyres disregard the above and carry on…
Old 05-15-24, 06:47 AM
Mackers

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 150 Posts
It looks beat up and I have trouble seeing this as a useful commuter bike for someone your size.
But you seem to have already decided though, so I say it's worth the asking price

The GELs should be ok on a 6 speed wheel.
Old 05-15-24, 08:43 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 507 Posts
Not the type of bike I’d buy for commuting, especially in a city, but could be a fun commuter with the proper modifications. The number of threads you’ve started about this bike tells me you’re already set on it though. Still, I’d try to barter for a lower price.
Old 05-16-24, 09:54 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 735 Posts
what is that block looking thing on top of the pedal?
Old 05-16-24, 11:14 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
what is that block looking thing on top of the pedal?
The previous owner of the present owner had one leg shorter than the other and so the pedal had a lift custom-made for the person
Old 05-16-24, 11:46 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hi everyone, you've been great with all your answers to me.
I got off the phone with the owner a few hours ago and he's pretty stubborn. Not the most compassionate empathetic sort of chap . Said the present market value doesn't really concern him he will keep it for his son to ride around the park. He went down to $750. He's going away for 10 days if I don't find anything else I like in or around that time I'll probably offer him $610 cash + my deposit of $90 that he already has (which he said he would Zelle me back if I didn't want the bike). I even offered to send him our discussion on this website for him to read. He's offered it for sale but he doesn't seem to care if he sells it ( had it laying around for 15 years he wanted to use the parts for another bike well after all they're mostly Campy.) I am going to go out and ride it again to make sure I really like it so much but in the meantime I will look for other bikes of the same caliber.

Cinelli Supercorsa 48cm 1987 . super record equipped asking $800
I would've probably bought this one but it was sold already. I am not interested in a show bike I am interested in a great daily driver. So, I live in New York City and it's going to get dings and scratches anyway. It's the pleasure of riding a top-tier bicycle of great engineering, build quality and components.A classic . And I just love vintage bicycles .Ive got the Motobecane Grand Jubilee but it's big on me at 53 cm and the quality of the Gios is quite a lot higher. I would consider a Holdsworth maybe . I've heard really wonderful things on this forum about a 1965 Cinelli on "sport touring bikes" thread . It's a silver one with a rusty top tube. Said to be one of the finest riding bikes anyone has come across. But the frame for my size should be between 48cm smallest 51cm biggest. ideally 50 cm. My budget is no more than $800 tops but I'll look at a little above (only if it's supper exceptional though for some reason. and keep it for the rest of my life. {{ I'm not a collector or feel I need to change}}. The fact that it's a buyers market and I might come up with something lovely for $375- $600 is wonderful for me I need to budget myself too. I have 10 days or a little more perhaps to find some thing with your help?
I would look at any first quality vintage Italian, French, English, or ? bicycle. could be racing could be touring as long as its my size
From 1950 to 1985 or so.
If you see or hear of anything please let me know or give me your opinion
thanks.

One more thing, if the price was right , with shipping at all, I would definitely include Europe for my search. Perhaps my size is easier to find there?

Last edited by Alexthe; 05-17-24 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 05:38 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 735 Posts
right now, in Japan, the dollar is high against the yen. plus the sizes tend to be more in your range.
Old 05-17-24, 06:18 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 321 Posts
Hi everyone, you've been great with all your answers to me.
I got off the phone with the owner a few hours ago and he's pretty stubborn. Not the most compassionate empathetic sort of chap . Said the present market value doesn't really concern him he will keep it for his son to ride around the park. He went down to $750. He's going away for 10 days if I don't find anything else I like in or around that time I'll probably offer him $610 cash + my deposit of $90 that he already has (which he said he would Zelle me back if I didn't want the bike). I even offered to send him our discussion on this website for him to read. He's offered it for sale but he doesn't seem to care if he sells it ( had it laying around for 15 years he wanted to use the parts for another bike well after all they're mostly Campy.) I am going to go out and ride it again to make sure I really like it so much but in the meantime I will look for other bikes of the same caliber.

Cinelli Supercorsa 48cm 1987 . super record equipped asking $800
I would've probably bought this one but it was sold already. I am not interested in a show bike I am interested in a great daily driver. So, I live in New York City and it's going to get dings and scratches anyway. It's the pleasure of riding a top-tier bicycle of great engineering, build quality and components.A classic . And I just love vintage bicycles .Ive got the Motobecane Grand Jubilee but it's big on me at 53 cm and the quality of the Gios is quite a lot higher. I would consider a Holdsworth maybe . I've heard really wonderful things on this forum about a 1965 Cinelli on "sport touring bikes" thread . It's a silver one with a rusty top tube. Said to be one of the finest riding bikes anyone has come across. But the frame for my size should be between 48cm smallest 51cm biggest. ideally 50 cm. My budget is no more than $800 tops but I'll look at a little above (only if it's supper exceptional though for some reason. and keep it for the rest of my life. {{ I'm not a collector or feel I need to change}}. The fact that it's a buyers market and I might come up with something lovely for $375- $600 is wonderful for me I need to budget myself too. I have 10 days or a little more perhaps to find some thing with your help?
I would look at any first quality vintage Italian, French, English, or ? bicycle. could be racing could be touring as long as its my size
From 1950 to 1985 or so.
If you see or hear of anything please let me know or give me your opinion
thanks.

One more thing, if the price was right , with shipping at all, I would definitely include Europe for my search. Perhaps my size is easier to find there?

This bike and the Gios are very different sizes - you say they are both 48 cm, but this one looks to be a 54 or larger. FWIW, the 48cm Gios is likely too small for you at 5'5" unless you are quite short of leg. If the Gios does fit you this will be too big, and if this fits the Gios is way too small.

I think you need to determine your actual size first. I'm also puzzled by the "next 10 days" reference - -what's the hurry? You also need to decide what kind of bike you want -- you seem to be open to anything of any style -- from racing to touring -- but those are really different uses and will ride very differently -- you might want to ride some more and refine your desires some.

I'd agree with the comments here on pricing -- both of these are nice bikes but not in great shape -- and the prices asked should be for models in better condition.

Regardless, get your money back from the Gios seller ASAP -- that's not a good deal (and remember you'll likely need to put in several hundred dollars more in tires, etc. as you say it has been sitting for many years).
Old 05-17-24, 02:32 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
This bike and the Gios are very different sizes - you say they are both 48 cm, but this one looks to be a 54 or larger. FWIW, the 48cm Gios is likely too small for you at 5'5" unless you are quite short of leg. If the Gios does fit you this will be too big, and if this fits the Gios is way too small.

I think you need to determine your actual size first. I'm also puzzled by the "next 10 days" reference - -what's the hurry? You also need to decide what kind of bike you want -- you seem to be open to anything of any style -- from racing to touring -- but those are really different uses and will ride very differently -- you might want to ride some more and refine your desires some.

I'd agree with the comments here on pricing -- both of these are nice bikes but not in great shape -- and the prices asked should be for models in better condition.

Regardless, get your money back from the Gios seller ASAP -- that's not a good deal (and remember you'll likely need to put in several hundred dollars more in tires, etc. as you say it has been sitting for many years).
Thank you very much for your advice and comments ,
"This bike and the Gios are very different sizes"
That's interesting.. because when I looked at the Cinelli the proportions of the bike seamed so much...... better maybe ? Anyway perhaps the seller made a mistake I do not know. I never got to see it.

"I think you need to determine your actual size first. I'm also puzzled by the "next 10 days" reference - -what's the hurry? You also need to decide what kind of bike you want -- you seem to be open to anything of any style -- from racing to touring -- but those are really different uses and will ride very differently -- you might want to ride some more and refine your desires some"

The seller is away for 10 days when he comes back I told him I needed to see it again especially due to his price point , and remove the modification to the right pedal. It seems difficult to find bikes to try out in a50cm around town I've come to the conclusion that 50 cm is better than 48 cm , but I've been told it could work. but perhaps you are right, my legs are definitely not short for my height and I am open to getting something else but was impressed with his beautiful little bike and wouldn't wanted to lose the opportunity of getting one. they're mostly all too big if I can find them at all and there............ or I thought were too expensive. I saw prices of over $1000 but looks like, the market is more in my favor then I knew. There's a beautiful white Gios professional on Facebook around New York in good shape and the seller is asking $1400 I'd love that in a 50cm but it's a 53 cm and too pricey.

both of these are nice bikes but not in great shape -- and the prices asked should be for models in better condition.

OK I'll be looking ,

If anyone knows of anything let me know.
I think I'd be happy with a fast, first rate touring bike or racing bike which I can put a rear rack on with a little notification, that would be all right.

"and remember you'll likely need to put in several hundred dollars more in tires",

Really, I had no idea those type of tires were so much more expensive is that what you mean? For one set of tires? They had a very nice ride when I pumped them up but one of them had a big lump like a balloon developed ,so needs replacing

One important thing is that the bike be light enough that I can travel the subways with going up and down steps with groceries in Bicycle bags on the bike . New York subways are filthy, brutal, often not very well designed. a smaller lighter bike ( smaller then I have now ) will be easier to handle when I take it on the train that was part of the idea of considering the 48 cm.
What do you think of buying a vintage bicycle from Italy??, or Europe, and having it shipped if the price is right,> as the market is good<. Once I get to know what I will like, but I am sure a first rate racer or touring bike will be very satisfactory .
A Rene Herse ? Don't think I'll be able to afford that. But would love it, like a Rolls Royce .

Last edited by Alexthe; 05-17-24 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-17-24, 02:47 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Should I move this part of the discussion to a different thread say general discussion or something? For more access to responses
Old 05-17-24, 03:00 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 175 Posts
One important thing is that the bike be light enough that I can travel the subways with going up and down steps with groceries in Bicycle bags on the bike . New York subways are filthy, brutal, often not very well designed. a smaller lighter bike ( smaller then I have now ) will be easier to handle when I take it on the train that was part of the idea of considering the 48 cm.
This is exactly the use case for a Brompton. Not cheap, but it would be much more practical for your stated use than a Gios or anything similar.
Old 05-17-24, 06:27 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Really, I had no idea those type of tires were so much more expensive is that what you mean? For one set of tires? They had a very nice ride when I pumped them up but one of them had a big lump like a balloon developed ,so needs replacing
That’s only the half of it… are you familiar with tubular tyres?

If not, which is what I’m inferring here, although I’ve been wrong before, I’d recommend some research before buying any bicycle with them. I grew up with and still use tubulars occasionally, but the gluing/taping process and its safety implications, and the need to carry a spare tyre rather than just a tube, are too much for most people these days. Especially commuting. People do, and you’ll find them here, but they’re in a very small minority…
Old 05-17-24, 06:47 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 649 Posts
The issue on this one is it a extra small limited production bike if you are actually the right size 5' to 5'4" so if it fits and you like the color worth $1000 maybe more in general $600-800.
Old 05-17-24, 10:58 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
This is exactly the use case for a Brompton. Not cheap, but it would be much more practical for your stated use than a Gios or anything similar.
No thanks,
I used to like the idea for New York until I picked one up it's heavy almost as heavy as my full size Motobecane , and awkward to carry. It is also not nearly enough of a bicycle , for the riding experience I want.

The Gios , is lighter and easier to carry
Old 05-17-24, 11:06 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade
That’s only the half of it… are you familiar with tubular tyres?

If not, which is what I’m inferring here, although I’ve been wrong before, I’d recommend some research before buying any bicycle with them. I grew up with and still use tubulars occasionally, but the gluing/taping process and its safety implications, and the need to carry a spare tyre rather than just a tube, are too much for most people these days. Especially commuting. People do, and you’ll find them here, but they’re in a very small minority…
I will do some more research for sure. but I have to admit I like the way they rode kind of soft and pliable and sticky to the ground it was a pleasure to ride on those wheels even though one of the tires had a funny lump in it. I hear you can pump them up quite a lot if you want. There must be some pretty good things about them to be used for the rigors of racing. Anyway I won't be going very far from home on my commute it's only around the city and I should be only wary of the potholes. I guess I have always been a bit of an au contraire .
Old 05-17-24, 11:27 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
The issue on this one is it a extra small limited production bike if you are actually the right size 5' to 5'4" so if it fits and you like the color worth $1000 maybe more in general $600-800.
That is an interesting take. I am between 5'5 and 5'6 I'm not sure. I can see why you say this bike would be better for someone 5'4, but I read an interesting thread on " what compromises are OK to except in buying a secondhand vintage bike" and there is a man who believes that small bikes are pretty flexible that one can play with the seat height and the handlebars and such so I'd like to share with you his take on the matter in the beginning of my quest for an answer. Perhaps this would be a good thread to start on its own.

The very last sentence {by me} is a big IF now ,I am not sure I am buying it, but it is still on the table . Depends how easy it is for me to find a 50 cm of equal quality for a better price in better codition . I will try . I will also try to determine if the smaller bike philosophy is for me or not. I am not sure .
Old 05-18-24, 08:02 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 649 Posts
In general one can go bit smaller with a frame and be fine at 5'5" you close enough size wise that this bike should be fine. I would say see if you can take test ride this bike does have fairly short wheelbase for it's size which you might not be comfortable with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.