Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 06:22 AM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

I have started upping my cycling game in preparation for my first "serious" bike with early morning recreational rides in and around our lakeside paths, park trails and the city bike lanes. I have been somewhat surprised by the number of large groups of cyclists, from more serious-looking cycle groups right down to casual groups. Without having tried a group ride I can confidently say that this group riding is not for me. It appears stressful and chaotic, especially on narrow bike lanes; the antithesis of the serene, introspective and self-motivational ride I strive for to enhance mental and physical clarity. I see very few lone cyclists on these early morning jaunts

Am I just an angry loner?
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-18-24, 06:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts
Not everyone has the ability to get along with others. Don't know why that would make you angry.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-18-24, 06:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,534 Posts
Are you eating something before these rides? Maybe you're just hangry instead. A Snickers bar could help. Also, is your last name McQuade by chance?
Old 05-18-24, 06:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
I have started upping my cycling game in preparation for my first "serious" bike with early morning recreational rides in and around our lakeside paths, park trails and the city bike lanes. I have been somewhat surprised by the number of large groups of cyclists, from more serious-looking cycle groups right down to casual groups. Without having tried a group ride I can confidently say that this group riding is not for me. It appears stressful and chaotic, especially on narrow bike lanes; the antithesis of the serene, introspective and self-motivational ride I strive for to enhance mental and physical clarity. I see very few lone cyclists on these early morning jaunts

The membership of the self-declared loner's club is, coincidentally, almost identical to that of the self-congratulatory loner's club. (I belong to both.)

Not all loners are angry. But if you have to ask, the answer is probably yes.
Old 05-18-24, 06:39 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 716 Posts
If you have to ask the question………

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-18-24, 06:42 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts
I prefer and almost always ride alone. I am not angry. Just find my lone rides more relaxing.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 05-18-24, 06:43 AM
MikeDeason

I have no inclination to join one of these groups yet I am not, by disposition, angry. I was simply surprised by the sheer volume of early morning groups.
Old 05-18-24, 06:43 AM
seypat

Those "lone" riders you see out there are not actually alone. They're riding with their 4 favorite buddies. Me, myself, I and shadow are great companions. Shadow always ditches the rainy days though.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-18-24, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Those darn Spandex wearing racerboy wannabe Lances. The world would be a better place if they all Rode-a-bent in jorts and cycling sombrero with Foreign Legion flap.
Old 05-18-24, 06:58 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Those darn Spandex wearing racerboy wannabe Lances. The world would be a better place if they all Rode-a-bent in jorts and cycling sombrero with Foreign Legion flap.
I'm getting a Deja vu feeling for some reason. We might have heard this song before.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-18-24, 07:01 AM
MikeDeason

It’s not the pro type crowd I am referencing. There are large novice groups and everything in between. I always pictured cycling as a lone endeavour but there are very few lone cyclists that on my early morning jaunts.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-18-24, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 422 Posts
You are entitled to your feeling about group rides. The only group rides I have really enjoyed is the "old Duffers" group casual rides.
Old 05-18-24, 07:15 AM
seypat

Those groups actually inhabit the roadways and MUPs looking for unsuspecting single riders. When they encounter one, they overtake the rider and give them the Cinzano treatment. It's painful to watch. It's like something out of a Mad Max movie.
Old 05-18-24, 07:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8405 Post(s)
Liked 9,320 Times in 4,575 Posts
It’s not the pro type crowd I am referencing. There are large novice groups and everything in between. I always pictured cycling as a lone endeavour but there are very few lone cyclists that on my early morning jaunts.
Nothing wrong with solo rides but you might be missing out if you never try group rides. The key is the right group for your ability and personality. I've been doing group rides, club rides, and charity rides since the 80s. I've made some good friends and had some awesome days in the saddle, and great memories.

If you're with a group and it sucks just drop out and go it alone. Or, if you want to be alone, don't try groups.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-18-24, 07:37 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 287 Posts
I would like to ride with someone, I just can't find anyone slow enough.
Old 05-18-24, 07:37 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8947 Post(s)
Liked 3,110 Times in 1,792 Posts

Only you can answer that.
Old 05-18-24, 08:02 AM
seypat

I think the OP is actually a CAT 6 racer in disguise out there looking for other riders to prey upon.
Old 05-18-24, 08:06 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 953 Posts
It is easier to ride alone.
Now. that does not make it better or worse than riding in groups.
Just more convenient.

If there was a group ride close to my home and the hours I ride, then, I would at least sample the ride to see if it is a Hammerfest or a recreational ride (more my liking).
An angry loner would manifest itself in most aspects of life, not just on a bike.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-18-24, 08:12 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 1,574 Times in 564 Posts
I prefer to ride alone as well but feel no ill-will to people that prefer otherwise. I used to ride motorcycles and preferred that solo (or with a few other friends) as well. I would see the large groups of bikes on the road riding in close formation and think I'd prefer having an ice pick driven in to my skull to that kind of riding. They probably have no interest in solo riding and that is fine with me.

If seeing the groups makes you angry, I'd suggest finding some less crowded backroads so you can enjoy the ride.
Old 05-18-24, 08:25 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,966 Times in 3,062 Posts
Where does the anger come from? Anger at the groups or yourself and why?

You want to be introspective, and group rides are far from that unless you find, through a local bike club, like minded people who are serious about cycling, but also more relaxed in their approach. My bike club has all levels of rides, from social - slow paced but various distances - to the opposite. The social rides usually end up at a cafe or bakery for a bit of chat before returning back.

To the uniniated, what might appear to be chaotic (the exception being mass group fun rides) is actually fairly well choreographed between the riders. They all know the rules, or at least most of them, and work together to have a safe, fast, fun ride.

When I first drove a car on the highways of South Africa I thought, what the hell is going on with people passing on two lane roads down the middle of the road with cars still in both lanes going 70 MPH. Cars on each side of the road would move to the shoulders to allow passing down the middle. If there was a car wanting to pass me and there was no oncoming opening, I would move to the shoulder, approaching cars would do the same and they would safely pass down the middle. I thought it was utterly insane until I understood what they were doing. Cycling can also appear like that at times but people know what they are doing.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-18-24, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18560 Post(s)
Liked 15,975 Times in 7,505 Posts
I always pictured cycling as a lone endeavour but there are very few lone cyclists that on my early morning jaunts.
What made you picture that? Had you never seen two or more people riding together-never ever?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-18-24, 08:56 AM
MikeDeason

Misapplication of the word anger as I don’t feel angry towards them. I find these large packs incomprehensible and surprising would be a better turn of phrase.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-18-24, 09:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Misapplication of the word anger as I don’t feel angry towards them. I find these large packs incomprehensible and surprising would be a better turn of phrase.
You're not alone. From Charles Portis's Dog of the South:

"She bought a bicycle, an expensive multi-geared job, and joined a cycling club against my wishes. The idea was that she and her chums would pedal along leafy country lanes, shouting and singing like a bunch of Germans, but from all I could see they just had meetings in the damp basement of a church."
Old 05-18-24, 09:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
I mostly train alone for practical reasons, but I love riding in a well organised peloton. It all comes down to trust in the other riders and matched ability. Then there is the social aspect of a shared experience.

Riding alone can also be nice. A sense of freedom and time-out from the rest of the world.

I would encourage you to try both as they are not mutually exclusive. You can always drop out of a group ride if you are not enjoying it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-18-24, 09:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I ponder why aggressive singletons seem so attracted to this large group.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.