Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift price increase

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 07:37 PM
Michael Novo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jays35
I am going to pause my subscription due to the increase since I don’t ride inside during the nice weather.

If I cancel and then rejoin later this fall, will it pickup where I left off or will it start as a new account? Or would the pause be the best option?

Thanks in advance!
Pause and cancel are essentially the same but pause will auto restart. Everything saves the same.
Old 05-19-24, 08:25 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 969 Posts
I, for one, think that Zwift is definitely 16% better than it was several years ago. Better enough that I had to get a new computer because the frame rate on my old 2012 Intel Mac with 16 gigs of RAM had slowed to single digits at times....And, of course a year later the new Mac Mini M2 trainer cave needed a brand new 62 inch OLED television to enjoy all the greatly improved graphics and realism in it's full 4k glory.

I might get an M3 Mac Mini if/when that ever gets made. The current M2 processor is at 50% load and in group riding the screen gets the slightest fringe of detectible choppiness, upon dropping into a world the scenery elements take several seconds to load and those that don't render in full detail while in game, fail gracefully favoring immediate foreground elements. Clearly the game is getting more intensive in it's graphics resource demands. Development and investment is happening on the back end. Marshalling resources, prioritizing elements, adding detail, depth, etc...All for an improved game play experience. Good. For context: I am absolutely not a video game guy. But I recognize a good product requires continued investment if it is to remain viable, relevant.

I can't imagine the fall out of random incremental 30˘, 50˘, 12˘ price increases every few months. Death of a thousand cuts, that would be. $20 is a nice even round number. Let it be.

Last edited by base2; 05-19-24 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-19-24, 08:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 2,578 Posts
When I think about the improvements they have made, the one that's most important to me is that you don't have to upgrade before you ride. I see them churning the software and I'm having trouble thinking of things that are as important as that to me. They also don't make me log in nearly as often after an upgrade now. Logging in every week used to make me irrationally angry. But in my setup, it's a real pain to log in, I need to go get glasses, and there is no gain in security to anyone. Now I only have to log in every few months. The one upgrade they seem to be reluctant to make is letting you easily ride whatever route you want. You can do it, but it's too much effort for me and it annoys me that they don't just implement it for everyone.

I'll preface this part by saying graphics isn't that important to me. I follow the FB group where everyone is really into that, and I usually just skim the posts. But I am not sure zwift really improved the graphics much, at least not in the released versions. If you have a upper middle of the road graphics card in an obsolete PC, you can get whatever it is they call their best graphics. But I will admit that's pretty good. My computer only takes half-height cards, so right now I can't get ultra graphics on zwift. I have seen announcements of half height cards that are good enough for that. Would be pretty funny to have their best graphics on a $25 pc. But it also would be pretty funny to me to have a $300 graphics card in a $25 PC. Because I'm cheap. Also, I would need to replace my power supply.

In the end, they probably have to consider their user base that uses an Apple TV, so pretty limited hardware. I'm not sure how easy it is to support the graphics and computing capabilities of both an Apple TV and a high-end gaming PC.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-20-24, 09:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen

In the end, they probably have to consider their user base that uses an Apple TV, so pretty limited hardware. I'm not sure how easy it is to support the graphics and computing capabilities of both an Apple TV and a high-end gaming PC.
Supporting your $25 PC is probably a bigger challenge.
Old 05-20-24, 10:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Well aren't you just special. Not everyone has what you have. Not everyone lives in a place that is so accommodating. Some even would laugh at you for not riding in the rain. It's coming across as arrogant condescension your disdain for folks that use Zwift. Why even bother to post in the thread? Do you add any value with your opinion? Where I live indoor riding is nearly necessary in the winter months and more beneficial on the gale force windy days. Not even counting the safety factors. What about a tire puncture in cold, wet windy conditions, in the dark. Death by hypothermia is a real possibility. Same issue and risks of a crash with a substantial increase in the risk of crashing due to ice, snow, or sand. Yeah every ne should just ditch zwift and spend more money on winter clothing that has a rather narrow useful temp range depending on intensity of exercise and then even more money on a fat bike. Six years of Zwift will cost you about what a fat tire bike. We all know that we have the financial resource that you do, right?

Today's weather where I live is wind 29mph sustained, with highest recorded gust of 49mph, and it is just morning. Winds usually pick up in afternoon to evening.
LOL. You just better hide indoors where it's safe so that dangerous world outside doesn't eat you alive.
Old 05-20-24, 10:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's not though, that's just not how pc programming works. It's pretty amazing the wide variety of platforms that are encompassed by the label "PC." I'm sure they don't care about me, but my computer has better graphics than what you get on most apple tv's. I had a discussion about my system with Dave Higgins of the Ultimate Guide https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-pc-guide-2/ and he told me it should work fine with middle of the road graphics. It seems like he's going to quit zwift because of the price hike though. I have to admit that people are selling systems like mine on ebay for 10x more than I paid for it, so the $25 might be a little misleading.
Old 05-20-24, 10:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
In my mind it's only an effective 11% increase, as it should be for anyone who has been on the platform for a while and who uses the platform for Training (mentioned previously). From 2017 thru 2023, annual cost of Zwift was $15 x 12 months = $180.
Now an annual cost is $200 (+~11%). And, I got a 1 year great deal for 2024 so that these 12 months are only costing me $150
Old 05-20-24, 11:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's not though, that's just not how pc programming works. It's pretty amazing the wide variety of platforms that are encompassed by the label "PC." I'm sure they don't care about me, but my computer has better graphics than what you get on most apple tv's. I had a discussion about my system with Dave Higgins of the Ultimate Guide https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-pc-guide-2/ and he told me it should work fine with middle of the road graphics. It seems like he's going to quit zwift because of the price hike though. I have to admit that people are selling systems like mine on ebay for 10x more than I paid for it, so the $25 might be a little misleading.
I never considered Zwift to be very hardware intensive. It ran fine on a 10 year old iMac a couple of steps down on graphics. I run it now on a 2020 M1 Macbook Air, which runs smoothly in 4k. Updates have always been quick too, less than a minute with most patches.
Old 05-20-24, 11:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think they did some work on their upgrades. They have been taking a lot less time recently, even the big ones. I have been left wondering if an upgrade was applied. I also found out that exiting vs. clicking on the red x makes quitting much quicker. So my zwift complaints have all disappeared. I'm not in the habit of riding in big groups though, that apparently is where my computer's limitations would show up.

I have often wondered if they will obsolete my computer. It won't run win11, so maybe they'll take advantage of that? That might give me the motivation to quit, but OTOH, it's not a lot of money to get a pc that will run zwift at max graphics, so I'll probably do that instead.
Old 05-20-24, 11:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,988 Times in 1,836 Posts
None of the PCs in my house will run Windows 11, so it looks Iike I'm going to have to do some upgrading soon. Bummer, because I have lots of RAM in all of them (32+ GB bought for other purposes back before bitcoin mining drove the prices up) that are of an old pin design that won't work in more recent motherboards.

Old 05-21-24, 07:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think it might be worth it to me to pay for their security upgrades. They always wanted to turn windows into a subscription service, I think they may have done it.