Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When did cycling gloves go out of fashion?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 11:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,968 Times in 3,062 Posts

Not a question to solve world peace, but the world tour riders seem to have abandoned wearing gloves. Maybe it is archaic to want extra cushion and hand protection if you hit the deck, but what gives? Too macho for those things? Cost cutting? Just not necessary?

Old 05-21-24, 12:52 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 428 Posts
I quit when I couldn't get them with decent padding. I used to run Grab-Ons foam and well padded gloves. Can't find the latter, and can't fit Grab-Ons with GripShifts and oversize bar ends. Currently looking to install more raised aero bars with wider forearm pads, so I can use them to take pressure off hands most of the time, if I'm not too tucked on them.
Old 05-21-24, 02:00 AM
hidetaka

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I've been to multiple major bike stores looking for basic, non-padded gloves. All I want is soft leather palm and lightweight top but apparently it's just not made, everyone decided they need tons of gel and foam pads and that's all that's being sold :/
Old 05-21-24, 02:24 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Having read not just the title but the entire first line of the first post, I'll answer the actual question that was asked:

I began noticing it about two or three years ago - certainly not much longer than that. You'd think that the sponsors or the UCI or both would have mandated glove use (the sponsors for the additional bit of branding, the UCI just because they can), but evidently that's not the case.

A few riders who had stopped using gloves have resumed wearing them, from what I've seen or read, maybe because they or a teammate or a friend in the peloton who had also given up wearing gloves had crashed and scraped their palms badly.

There is or was also a new fashion where bottles/bidons are pulled out of cages with the hand oriented thumb down, such that they're already upside down when raised to the mouth. Don't know that it's actually more convenient, but it looks cool.

Edit:

Looking forward to posts from a couple of the usual suspects, who will say that those World Tour riders who have chucked their gloves did so in a desperate attempt to reduce the overall weight of the package of rider plus bike. It's more evidence, or so the reasoning will run, that the riders hate the crushingly heavy aero-oriented disk-brake-equipped bikes that they're being forced to struggle up climbs on.

Maybe it's a strike: we'll go back to wearing team logo gloves when we're once again allowed to ride bikes with lightweight frames, rim brakes, and tubular tires.

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-21-24 at 02:48 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-21-24, 03:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
It’s an interesting observation. I would have thought most, if not all, the pros would have experienced a palm scrape at some point in their life. That alone makes gloves worth wearing IMHO. I just wear simple, non-padded, fingerless gloves for road riding. I find them less sweaty than bare hands and of course they offer some skin protection.

So I do wonder what their thinking is here?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-21-24, 03:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked 1,763 Times in 1,063 Posts
I’ve also noticed the absence of gloves in the pro ranks and wondered about it, too, but I’ve no idea why it’s happening.

It does seem like a simple safety measure, but maybe the pros figure if they go down, they’ll have bigger problems than scraped up palms. I dunno…I’ve been there myself with road rash on the hands, and it wasn’t nice, so I wear gloves.

I also wear gloves because I get sweaty and snotty, so it’s nice to keep tidy with a little wipe with a glove.

Bar tape is so good these days, though, that I can understand how, if crash risk isn’t a factor, you might wonder why you need gloves. The tapes feel great and offer tremendous grip and comfort.

As an aside, my preferred gloves are the MAAP with the Elastic Interface Race model palm, but I’ve also got a couple of pairs of Supacaz which are unpadded and very thin palmed.
Old 05-21-24, 04:51 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
World Tour riders who have chucked their gloves did so in a desperate attempt to reduce the overall weight of the package of rider plus bike.
Don't forget the aerodynamics!
Old 05-21-24, 06:04 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Bar tape has plenty of padding and grip these days. I suspect most pro riders just don't see a need for gloves, and it seems easier to fish stuff out of jersey pockets and grab bottles, etc with bare hands.

I doubt pro riders are really worried about protecting their palms from hand scrapes. This has always seemed like a weird reason to wear cycling gloves.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-21-24, 06:11 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,534 Posts
Who knows? It could be a fashion statement, a protest, a safety issue, or some other reason. Do the shifters use pressure plates/switches/buttons? A glove could take some sensitivity away from that process. If I had to take a wild guess, that would be the reason.
Old 05-21-24, 06:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Pogy wears them.
Old 05-21-24, 07:03 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Pogy wears them.
He's one of the guys who had stopped wearing them but changed his mind.
Old 05-21-24, 08:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12019 Post(s)
Liked 6,795 Times in 3,547 Posts
I won't care until I can't find some for myself.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-21-24, 08:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
He's one of the guys who had stopped wearing them but changed his mind.
His provider was probably out of the pink ones!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-21-24, 08:47 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked 3,357 Times in 1,756 Posts
I don't like wearing gloves. I wear them when it's cold or when MTB'ing, but generally I'd rather feel bare hands on the bars. I've raced road bikes hundreds of times and have had scraped palms a couple of times - it sucks. I'm usually quite vigilant about wearing gloves for some while after that, until I get lazy again
Old 05-21-24, 08:50 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 337 Posts
My guess is gloves make it slightly more difficult to get warmers or jackets off while on the bike. Might also impact bottle and musette pickups in feed zones.

Personally I like gloves for the UV protection, wiping sweat off my face, and in case I take a tumble. Padding - nice to have but not the driving reason to wear gloves for me.

What I don't like about gloves are that they wear out over time, the ones with Velcro closures at the wrist get stuck to my warmers, and it's harder to get jackets and warmers on/off.
Old 05-21-24, 08:56 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
The very firs time you have a fall and the palms of your hands make contact with pavement, you will go back to gloves real quick. Its the only reason I wear them, but they have to be without any padding or I get numb hands. Hand Up gloves are great for this reason.
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 05-21-24, 08:58 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 22 Posts
What races are y'all watching where they don't wear gloves? Screen grab from yesterday's Giro stage (day behind, don't tell me what happened)

Likes For justin1138:
Old 05-21-24, 09:06 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 474 Posts
Pros ARE NOT "All that !"
a lot of them ride with locked elbows... usually the guys at the back ...
I never ride without gloves, even when grocery shopping...
If I'm wearing a helmet, I'm also wearing gloves and eye protection ...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-21-24, 09:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,945 Times in 3,405 Posts
I hadn't noticed the trend. But I haven't watched hardly any races this year.

Me, I use to always ride without gloves up until about 2017. Then I too got to thinking about what if I were to reach out and hit the road with my palms during a crash. So I started wearing gloves. The best gloves I ever had were a cheap pair of Bell's from Walmart. Just a half finger, glove with a full leather unpadded palm. The padded and more expensive gloves I've used since have never really been as comfortable.

However now realizing that putting my outstretched arms in front of me to catch my fall is a very bad idea, I tried going gloveless a couple years ago. In the heat my hands were too sweaty and the bar and hoods slippery. Not sure why they weren't before. But I'm back to using gloves. I really need to see if Bell still makes those simple inexpensive gloves with the full leather palm.

Why is catching your fall with outstretched arms a bad idea? Ask Mark Cavendish. When I saw him go over the bars at the previous TdF with his arm out, I knew he would be breaking his collar bone before they even reported or showed the aftermath of his fall.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-21-24 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-21-24, 09:20 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Iride01

Why is catching your fall with outstretched arms a bad idea? Ask Mark Cavendish. When I saw him go over the bars at the previous TdF with his arm out, I knew he would be breaking his collar bone before they even reported or showed the aftermath of his fall.
Was he wearing gloves, though
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-21-24, 09:23 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Iride01

Me, I use to always ride without gloves up until about 2017. Then I too got to thinking about what if I were to reach out and hit the road with my palms during a crash. So I started wearing gloves. The best gloves I ever had were a cheap pair of Bell's from Walmart. Just a half finger, glove with a full leather unpadded palm. The padded and more expensive gloves I've used since have never really been as comfortable.

However now realizing that putting my outstretched arms in front of me to catch my fall is a very bad idea, I tried going gloveless a couple years ago. In the heat my hands were too sweaty and the bar and hoods slippery. Not sure why they weren't before. But I'm back to using gloves. I really need to see if Bell still makes those simple inexpensive gloves with the full leather palm.
Similar experience here, been on and off gloves over the years. Agree that basic is best, half finger fitting better than full (and easier to grab things, work with touch screens, etc) - I only ride full finger in the winter, and the occasional slippery bars on a hot day without gloves.
Old 05-21-24, 09:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,352 Times in 3,945 Posts
Originally Posted by hidetaka
I've been to multiple major bike stores looking for basic, non-padded gloves. All I want is soft leather palm and lightweight top but apparently it's just not made, everyone decided they need tons of gel and foam pads and that's all that's being sold :/
Check out Pactimo's gloves (www.pactimo.com) Minimal palm padding, lightweight back, many color options. I have a couple pair, and I've been happy with them.
Old 05-21-24, 09:40 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I'm always finding the larger sizes of gloves are sold out (and I don't even have very big hands). So I usually ride gloveless.
Old 05-21-24, 09:42 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,968 Times in 3,062 Posts
I also use gloves to wipe sweat from brow and to sweep tires after running through glass. Can be done with bare hands too, but….

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-21-24, 10:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7702 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,906 Posts
I have experimented with not wearing gloves lately---because at my age, it is easy to forget things. I feel a little cooler (wind over the hands, which are replete with nerve endings) and I wrap well enough not to need a lot of padding .... comfort-wise it is a toss-up.

Riders hopefully have learned by World Tour levels, not to waste the flesh of their palms trying to hold back the force of a crash ... do that once, and you will know why (I have gotten palm-rash with gloves ... the gloves got eaten first and worst.) I just don't reach out when falling any more ... my collarbones, wrists, and elbows are too fragile.

I assume most pros are aware that in wrecks, at speed, it is hips and the outsides of limbs which tend to get eaten by pavement, and thus don't buy the myth of glove protection (Big Glove has you all in its control ... ) And prefer the airflow.

This is a question someone needs to post on actual World Tour riders' websites or Twit-feeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.