Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

advantages of a heavy dept. store bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 07:21 PM
chip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finally figured out that those heavy dept. store bicycles have a purpose after all?What is that you say?Well if your a spinner like myself you do not mind spinning low gears,and you need all that weight of the bicycle to give some resistance...or otherwise a light weight bicycle will run away on you:cool:
Old 05-24-03, 07:24 PM
Kev

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other good purpose of them, you learn to repair a bike Figured a bike setup at the LBS you will not get the experience of tuning it up or repairing it near as much
Old 05-24-03, 07:34 PM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to mention, a heavy cheap bike will teach you to truly appreciate the good one you eventually upgrade to.
Old 05-24-03, 08:53 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Well, I found a good use for a department store bike. A cheap theaft proof commuter. I have my Pacific toy bike parked in New York City and so far, it's exceeding my expectations. After three months, I intend to post my results of commuting to work with a toy store bike. It might surprise some people.
Old 05-24-03, 09:09 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes, it seems like people more concerned about what kind of bicycle they have, than about actually riding it.
Some would buy an expensive bike, put it in the room like in museum or show room and talk about it on the forum for weeks and weeks... How reliable it is...

You can make a bicycle yourself and ride it wherever you want...
That would be different, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Inoplanetyanin; 05-24-03 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-24-03, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, I think the best advantage is when you realize what a hunk of junk metal it is, and you go get your first real bike, you'll get a really good bike, and you'll begin to realize how grateful you are you have a really good real bike! Plus, you have spare parts from your heavy department store bike too!

Old 05-24-03, 10:25 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to consider things like this.

A 18 year old boy. From Ohio, just graduated from high school, and starting to attend junior community college in the fall. He has a passion for bicycles, but his mother works at the store, and father left the family when he was 3.
He goes to the bicycle store and sees a price tag for 599$...

He thinks about his budget, the car payment, help mother with rent, money for movies with gf, and then he remembers his last paycheck, two weeks ago, from local fast food. 137$, at 5,15 an hour.

Luckily! there are stores, that OFFER a bike at AFFORDABLE PRICE> So this boy, can save with his cd's, and some car accessories, and buy a bike from Wal Mart for $150 and on one of weekends, go into the beautiful fileds of his state, and be very happy to camp and dreaming about real adventures with real gear, better bike and dreaming about freedom.

There are millions of people like this, across the nation.
Then you call those bicycles a "hunk of junk metal".

change of image:

<br>
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...threadid=27855

Note modifyed a day later: The story is just an example. It can be seen by the sentence "There are millions of people like this, across the nation".

Last edited by Inoplanetyanin; 05-25-03 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-24-03, 11:09 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make good boat anchors!

Also, they are a constant form of amusement after a good long hard ride with your buds, you can all enter into the "Huffy Toss" contest. He who wins gets a beer!

The are also an important part of a Bike Shops business, the repair portion of course!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-24-03, 11:13 PM
jatkins679

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by chip
I finally figured out that those heavy dept. store bicycles have a purpose after all?What is that you say?Well if your a spinner like myself you do not mind spinning low gears,and you need all that weight of the bicycle to give some resistance...or otherwise a light weight bicycle will run away on you:cool:
If the bike works for you, then use it. If you're spinning along at a pace and level of exersion that works for you, then ride the bike.
Old 05-24-03, 11:32 PM
SellingEngland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Inoplanetyanin

A 18 year old boy. From Ohio, just graduated from high school, and starting to attend junior community college in the fall. He has a passion for bicycles, but his mother works at the store, and father left the family when he was 3.
He goes to the bicycle store and sees a price tag for 599$...

He thinks about his budget, the car payment, help mother with rent, money for movies with gf, and then he remembers his last paycheck, two weeks ago, from local fast food. 137$, at 5,15 an hour.

Luckily! there are stores, that OFFER a bike at AFFORDABLE PRICE> So this boy, can save with his cd's, and some car accessories, and buy a bike from Wal Mart for $150 and on one of weekends, go into the beautiful fileds of his state, and be very happy to camp and dreaming about real adventures with real gear, better bike and dreaming about freedom.

There are millions of people like this, across the nation.
Then you call those bicycles a "hunk of junk metal".

<br>
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...threadid=27855
Nah, not a hunk of junk metal....they make wonderful door stops.

Unfortunately most dept. store bikes are put together poorly by people that don't ride or fix bikes and then there is the fact that the components are very cheap. That means most likely the money saved buying the $150 bike will eventually go into fixing it and keeping it rideable. Save money and get a reasonable entry level bike that a local shop will set up and size for you and keep it tuned usually free for the first year.

An entry level Giant can be had for around $260.
Old 05-25-03, 12:24 AM
Skullder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dept. store bikes can be relatively light..no need to go heavy.
Old 05-25-03, 12:56 AM
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He goes to the bicycle store and sees a price tag for 599$.......
A very touching story but if this is true, why did you post a picture of Kiran Mantha?

By checking the properties of the pic you posted I found that this guy has nothing to do with your post.

His own webpage says:
I am a Masters student in the Computer Science and Engineering Department, State University of New York at Buffalo. I'm a Research Assistant under, my advisor Dr. Shambhu J Upadhayaya , working on Computer Security.

I'm from India , born in Amalapuram. I spent my childhood in the rural area of Amalpuram, a south eastern province, and it's the most beautiful place I've ever been. After that I lived in Araku Valley a hill station in Andhra pradesh, where I spent the best part of my childhood. My father is a Microbiologist, currently working with Institute of Preventive Medicine at Hyderabad. My mother is a house wife and has done her postgraduation in ARTS. I have an elder brother who is doing his Masters in Computer Science at Wright State University, Dayton. I secured a rank of 854 in the engineering qualifier of the State of Andhra Pradesh, India. The exam was taken by about 85,000 students. I joined the department of Instrument Technology , Andhra University , India in 1994, and received Bachelor of Technology degree in Instrumentation Engineering in the year 1998 .

I love literature, and Music. My favorite novel is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance. I play Violin and am interested in Jazz. I'm also interested in history. Travelling to historic places is something I love to do. My favourite sports are cricket and lawn tennis, which I intend to practice everyday but i can't.
You're talking about someone's father who left home when he was 3. This guy's father is a Microbiologist, currently working with the Institute of Preventive Medicine at Hyderabad.

Why did you post this picture, Inoplanetyanin?
Old 05-25-03, 03:15 AM
bmw_maniac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my mountain bike isnt actually from a dept store, but it's cheap as far as "decent" bikes go. the reason we got a cheap one is so i can lock it up at school without worrying about something expensive sitting there in the yard.

Also, this thing is steel-framed, with no light-weight features at all, and ways a ton. Good resistance training! i can still get it flying though (when my raod bike was out of order i took it to school training and came 1st up most hills, and 2nd up the biggest hill, and they were all on road bikes!)

see they do have a purpose (from POV of a teen)
Old 05-25-03, 08:37 AM
Skullder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by MediaCreations
A very touching story but if this is true, why did you post a picture of Kiran Mantha?

By checking the properties of the pic you posted I found that this guy has nothing to do with your post.

His own webpage says:

You're talking about someone's father who left home when he was 3. This guy's father is a Microbiologist, currently working with the Institute of Preventive Medicine at Hyderabad.

Why did you post this picture, Inoplanetyanin?
not sure about you but when i read it, i knew right away that it wasnt true....just look at the context in which it was written.

anyway, back when i lived in South Africa i had pretty much no money so i used what i had saved up over the years on a 700 rand dept. store bike...that probably equates to a $ 180 CND bike. i loved that thing.

Last edited by Skullder; 05-25-03 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-25-03, 07:59 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ride what you can afford. If you can afford only an inexspensive bike and you enjoy that bike, that is fine. If you buy an exspensive bike and enjoy that bike, that is fine. When I was a kid, Single mom, no money, I rode a murray twenty inch for five years. Started the mechanics road on that bike, delivered papers(A crappy job I wish on no one), went every where, jumped it, raced my friends, broke it a bunch. Believe it or not, it was stolen. Now,twenty years later, I am married, we make ok money, have a house and no children and between the two of us have accumulated close to twenty thousand dollars(replacement value) worth of bikes, but you know, my favorite is my fixed, built from used parts on a junk frame, I have maybe $220 in it.

A department store bike is ridden less than sixty miles, according to a survey published in bicycle retailer.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 05-26-03, 12:34 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
You ride what you can afford. If you can afford only an inexspensive bike and you enjoy that bike, that is fine. If you buy an exspensive bike and enjoy that bike, that is fine.
Exactly, its not about the bike... Its a question of how much fun you can have riding it... $100 bike =

If you buy an exspensive bike and don't enjoy that bike, there must be something wrong with you(or your bike)...:confused:
Old 05-26-03, 12:39 AM
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
change of image:
Thanks Inoplanetyanin.
Old 05-27-03, 03:15 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 334 Posts
i'm itchin' to make a singlespeed project out of a dept. store mtn bike! wouldn't mind having one set up as commuter for school, either. but i'm not going to go out and buy one- give-one-to-me-and-i-will-put-it-to-good-use type of thing. still, i'd put it together myself; push down the bar ends on a dept. store mtb to mess with the suspension fork, and the bar ends slip: poor assembly.
Old 05-27-03, 05:00 AM
carlee
Lady Cyclist!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's not totally the kind of donkey you are on, but it its the sheer fun, joy, and effort, not to mention the challenge, the determination you can squeeze from your system when riding varied course.

not to mention the exercise you get from riding that wind breaker, and the scenic view, some smiley faces and all, it sure does pay its worth.
Old 05-27-03, 12:45 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My advice to people when they ask me why they should pay more than the $99 Wal-mart special is this:

If you want to make sure you hate cycling, the $99 special will do it perfectly.

Kind of like going drag racing with a Yugo.