Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendation please.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 05:29 PM
mrheavyfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’ve barley got 300km on my bike and I’ve got my second flat. Yesterday was my second flat and the tire has a nice chunk out of it too. Since I need to replace the tire I figured I should get something a little more durable. The tires I have are Hutchinson Carbon Comps and I’ve heard they puncture easily. I do ride in the city so debris is an issue.

What should I be looking at that will give me some durability.
Old 07-02-03, 05:43 PM
mightypudge
Victim of Circumstance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to know this myself.
Old 07-02-03, 06:49 PM
mikemets5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2,000 uneventful miles on my Michelin Axial Carbons, and they don't look like they will need to be changed for some time. My LBS said to expect 3,500-4,000 miles.

seems like a good deal for $30 tires!

excellent in the wet also, guess its the carbon
Old 07-02-03, 07:20 PM
mrheavyfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you do much city riding?
Old 07-02-03, 07:28 PM
mikemets5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by mrheavyfoot
Do you do much city riding?
Well, Westchester is a densely populated, high traffic area, and the roads are pretty rough. Lots of debris...I've taken no less than 20 glass slivers from these tires, and hit a few pot holes that would have best been avoided.
Old 07-02-03, 11:10 PM
CycleNaut

Location: Pearland, Texas (South of Houston in Brazoria County)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Armadillo tires are the most bullet proof thing going. Amazing tires.
Old 07-03-03, 01:45 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I second the Armadillos. I commute and ride for fitness and after I moved to where I'm at now my flats when to 2 to 5 a week!! I tried tires with kevlar, tires with kevlar and added Mr Tuffies; tires with kevlar a Mr Tuffie and a Slime tube and managed to get the flats down to about 2 a week-still too many for me, plus I was destroying tires like crazy. So I switched to the Armadillos and now have gone over 14,000 miles without a flat! Flat proof? no, but as close as your going to get; racing tire? no, save your race tires for race day.
Old 07-03-03, 04:36 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the endorsement of Michelin Axial Carbons. I have 1,000 miles on them, with no flats. But I do have a plastic Slime liner in there. I am hoping to get at least 2,000 miles on the rear, but so far, I don't see much wear, so I may get 3 or 4,000. You can get them at Roadtiresdirect.com. for $29.95.
Old 07-03-03, 06:01 AM
mightypudge
Victim of Circumstance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michelin Axial Carbons or Specialized Armadillos. I can't decide.
Old 07-03-03, 06:45 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Continental Grand Prix 3000!!

Over 2000 miles through all the glass, trash and potholes in Atlanta streets and no flats!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-03-03, 07:39 AM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "off-season" tires are Vredestein Ricorsso Road, which run about $20 a piece. They ride really nice and seem to be pretty puncture resistant. I think they are probably equivalent to the Axial Carbons. Probably nothing is as bulletproof as the Armadillos though.
Old 07-03-03, 09:02 AM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Armadillos are excellent. I've found that the GP3K tires cut a bit easily around here. Right now I'm using Kenda Kalientes with their kevlar belt (their version of an Armadillo). These guys weigh 185g and go for about $35. I love 'em and a couple other guys I know have been riding them with no trouble.
Old 07-03-03, 02:15 PM
mrheavyfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I found a new tire, just mounted them up and will ride them later today. The new Michelin Megamiuim, new this year, replaces the Axial Performance road tire. You can tell these things will take a beating just by the feel. My Hutchinsons feel like and inner tube compared to these. I'l report on the ride later

here the link

https://cycleus.webmichelin.com/tires/megamium.htm
Old 07-03-03, 04:31 PM
mightypudge
Victim of Circumstance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They look nice, man. I went with the Armadillos. Nice tire, not as fast as the originals but good enough for city rides.