Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

am i the only person who can't make campy WORK??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

am i the only person who can't make campy WORK??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 09:44 PM
peloton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by OneTinSloth
LOL!! where were you like, two weeks ago when i was arguing these exact same points about shimano v. campy
I hadn't yet found this forum. I would have been on posting on radbikereview.com.

If you threw your chain when shifting into the big ring, then your FD is improperly adjusted. Tighten the high limiter screw about half a turn. If you get chain rub in your highest gear combination (53x12, for example) loosen the screw 1/4 turn.

As for the loose crank, have your LBS look at the spline socket on the crank. The 105 cranks are a bit soft, and some of them, we have found at the shop, have slight imperfections. That may be a warranty replacement.
Old 07-21-03, 10:43 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i don't get chain rub in my highest gear combo (48/13), and the chain only fell off that one time (which happened to be the first time in the ride). i have no idea why it happened at all. i actually TRIED to get it to happen again with no results.

i'm using the new FSA cyclocross cranks instead of the 105s, which use 48/38 rings. i decided on smaller rings because i mostly ride in the city, and i try to watch my speed in traffic, as boston drivers can be a bit erratic. i almost want to switch up to a 53, but it's mostly because i don't want to look like a weeny, and when i think about that, i decide to keep the 48, as i rarely even shift out of the 38.

i think the biggest reason why i went with shimano over campy was that i run bullhorns on my road bikes because i prefer that hand position, and the ergo shifters just wouldn't work right in that situation. also i decided a while ago that if im' ever going to have campy parts it's going to be record or nothing.
Old 07-22-03, 12:22 PM
bluesref

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, on my Campy Mirage equipped bike I have taken to using 2 short moves rather than one one big one for going to the big ring. Granted I'm due for a tune up and maybe even some new cables. I find the "trim" ti be reasonableand not over complicated. Of course I cane right off Friction downtube shifters.
Old 07-22-03, 02:05 PM
Flaneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peloton...

you are an heroically intemperate person and I am honoured to have joined the ranks of those insulted by you

-bet whoever owns your shop doesn't let you near the paying customers, mind......

Let me summarise your view. Any problems with Campagnolo stuff are down to operator/set-up error. Shimano stuff is of inferior quality and harder to work on.

....and you work in a shop which sells the stuff? At similar prices?

Unlike you, I live in a country where Campagnolo is still a premium priced product. Are you suggesting that Shimano is the over-priced competitor in your market? If so, how do you sell any Shimano at that price, relative to the competition?

I was commenting on the reluctance of cyclists to challenge the myth that is Campagnolo. I didn't comment on Shimano stuff at all but some of the mythology surrounds that company also. It's a duopoly and if what they're selling isn't appropriate for your needs, then it's your fault, your problem. I think the apologetic tone of some of my fellow contributors and your contrastingly- and characteristically- scathing remarks, make my point admirably.

Further down the ranges is where better value for money is available, I believe. Some of the highest priced bikes I see will be hanging in some garage long before the components wear out, as the whole bike is superceded by the 'next great advance'. At the most expensive level, we are seeing fetish purchasing, status symbolism with little or no practical advantages for the user. I would be throwing money away, for example, using $1000 groups of components locally between October and April- the salt and mud would ruin most stuff in a single winter (and does). So I do the traditional thing and ride my fixed wheel beater or 'vintage' mountain bike while the Team Replica dream bikes (and some of their owners) are having a very long break from the practicalities of winter riding.

My fixie has a 30 year-old Campy chainset and hubs that have done around 70000 miles, ridden and maintained by me. I have no hesitation in proclaiming these parts value for money LOL! Does that or any other longevity story prove the argument that Campy is best? Of course not- the variables are endless. Out here in the real world, not on Planet Bike Shop (where components are free), the manufacturers sell us stuff we don't need (20 gears and none of them low enough) at prices they fix (ever buy brake blocks in Britain?)and all styled for the pretend racer to fuel his fantasies.

What is your role in this equation? To slap down the inexperienced, ridicule the dissenter and reify the latest marketing tweak?

I no longer ride criteriums. I could care less about shifting accuracy 500k's into a big randonnee, or 20 hours into a time trial. At that point, Campy hoods and Shimano hoods are just places where your hands rest on the bars........My argument is that for $950 this stuff should be fool- proof, not open to your learned pronouncements. Modern gearing is OK but it ain't no paradigm shift, except in marketing terms. It wears out, goes out of sync, chains get dropped (in Tour Prologues). Plus ca change. Pity is, when people buy the wrong stuff for their needs, or the stuff doesn't perform as advertised, they beat themselves up- and guys like you help 'em out.
Old 07-22-03, 02:14 PM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uhm, I think you might need to refill the prozac prescription. I believe you were the first to use words like 'ridiculous' and 'label-sniffing punters'. Just a thought.
Old 07-22-03, 03:03 PM
Flaneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Multi,

Peloton has opinions and I respect that. I have some as well, as you noticed.

Would you care to share yours with us more fully?
Old 07-22-03, 07:37 PM
Dchiefransom

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure if my front derailleur needs adjustment or not, but when I shift to the big ring with Shimano Ultegra, I move the lever over once, then have to release and hold it over. It's still a quick shift, but it won't go if I just sweep the lever all the way over. Once I release and sweep the second time, it jumps right up. I had a noise when I bought the bike, and the LBS had two different mechanics pour over it, not finding a thing. The adjustments were done twice. Noise turned out to be not halfclicking the front derailleur over while on the bigger back gears, and the frame flexing while going up hills.
Old 07-22-03, 09:42 PM
djgustashaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, it sounds like something isn't right with your drivetrain. the ultegra on my bike is extremely smooth, and everything works with a single swing of the shifters if it's adjusted correctly.
Old 07-23-03, 09:35 AM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure I'll share, but I'm going to keep the name-calling to a minimum. I'm in a good mood today.

Shimano outsells Campy because distribution in the States for Campy is pretty low. 3/4 of bikes in the bike shops are outfitted with Shimano from the manufacturer. Campy is slightly higher in price for pretty simple economic reasons, but it is not insanely more expensive. Shimano can sell their product a little cheaper here because of the volume they push out as OEM on the majority of bikes sitting on show room floors. I have no idea what the prices are like in Europe, but I would guess that the difference is probably smaller. Also, I'm sure it isn't hurting Shimano that Lance uses their stuff, just like it isn't hurting Trek either.

So most of the people I know use Shimano, not because they specifically chose the group but because they found the bike they wanted and it had Shimano on it. However, most roadies I know who work in bike shops run Campy. Now I'm no technical expert, but when I see that most of the bike mechanics around here run Campy - many going out of their way to do so - instead of the slightly cheaper and much more available Shimano, that sends me a message. I have also listened to mechanics rattle off lots of reasons they like Campy better (ie, easier to work on, more reliable, better thought out design, etc.).

Yes Record is very expensive, but Record is in a class of its own. DA and Chorus are comparable in almost all respects and Record is just a "no holds barred" version of Chorus.

Personally, I think for most users either brand will be fine and personal comfort is more important than CF der cages. I run Campy on my bike because I like it better, not because it costs more. The thumb shifting is much more intuitive to me...when you push it downward the chain goes in the down direction. I don't like the thought of pushing on brake levers to switch gears and I like that I can jump from 23 to 13 with one motion if I want to. I like the hoods better and I like not having cables sticking up between my handlebars. I have never had any problems with my group at all in the 3 years I've been using it.

In short, I'm in the Campy camp, both for personal comfort reasons as well as because I've never heard a local bike mechanic tell me Shimano was better. I've heard Campy is more reliable and that the two are basically equal, but never that Shimano was a better product than Campy. For those reasons I feel comfortable and confident in my group. My wife runs Ultegra though and I don't think she is crazy for doing so nor do I take jabs at her about it. Maybe she likes it better, but odds are she just liked the color of the bike it came on.
Old 07-23-03, 09:54 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find Bike Mechanics to be a very traditional bunch. They like the old way of doing things nd for them Shimano is just too progressive. STi's, Splined BB, Now integrated cranks while campagnolo is slower to change. There's less threat to them with campagnolo.

Also in the states with campagnolo having a more elite status due to lower availabilty and higher pricing (sort of Mercede Benz vs Lexus), in terms of functionality there very little to separate each group.

Her ein Europe Campagnolo is cheaper than Shimano by about 2%. Campy is made in Italy, amember of the european union so import tariffs are lower and the can better align their markting and sales strategy against shimano.

Also the Campy works better myth is really a joke. It does'nt! It depends on your personal preference. Most mechanics over here will tell that the parts they have in stock are the best.
most people choose Campagnolo because it like gaining memebership to an exclusive club. Thats european thinking, where class structure in society is still prevalent. and also In america is assume.
In the far eat, where Shimano comes from class structure is almost non existant. Ther emanagement and the workers each has a role and each accepts it with pride. Non of this upity sh*t like we have over here. And it reflects in their products. Shimano is no fuss, no nonsense, sensible components. They function, don't look particularly interesting but they work and they work well.
Campagnolo is very italian. Excellent engineering, abit recalcitrant in nature but very good looking, (just like their women - mamamia!!!).
Because of the attention to detail, the craftsmanship they work well.

Different approaches to solve the same problem. The end result is as different are they are similar.
Both brilliant, hence the reason nobody else could compete in the same market and hence the reason they're the biggest bike part manufacturing in the world today.
Quality - both have it in abundance.
performance - ditto

each appeals to people with different values though.
Old 07-23-03, 12:02 PM
roadrage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of the reason the LBS dudes use Campy is because it is kind of cool and hip to be different than the pack, regardless of whether the pack is good or not good, and because they get it cheaper than the consumer, and because it's different than the stuff they have to work on all day long typically. They are bored and want something different. They also tend to be a bit more traditional(this has worked for years, why change - type of thinking).

Those are the reasons that I am given when relating to the LBS guys around here. In some cases, some don't even like Campy and prefer Shimano, and they all, almost, pull you to the side and tell you that Shimano is just as good and cheaper and to go with that. Availability is better with Shimano, and they will typically have what you need on hand.

TimB stated it well. It's kind of like a Lexus vs a Mercedes. They both work great, they both are real nice, but the Mercedes carries the posh factor a little more, but at a little premium. The Lexus is quiet and goes about it's duty without a lot of flash and fanfare.
Old 07-23-03, 03:26 PM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe, well it is kinda like a Lexus and MB. MB has the posh but not the reliability. That's another story though. I'm not really arguing with you guys, like I said I think both products are pretty equal in most respects and the biggest factor to consider is which you like more with respect to comfort.
Old 07-23-03, 03:38 PM
roadrage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ms4life- I agree. Lexus reliability is extremely hard to beat, for anyone
Old 07-23-03, 03:48 PM
hibiscus09

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer an Infiniti -- the FX45 drives like a dream.
Old 07-23-03, 05:12 PM
RacerX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally posted by TimB

In the far eat, where Shimano comes from class structure is almost non existant. Ther emanagement and the workers each has a role and each accepts it with pride. Non of this upity sh*t like we have over here. And it reflects in their products. Shimano is no fuss, no nonsense, sensible components. They function, don't look particularly interesting but they work and they work well.
wtf, the Japanese have one of the strongest class structures in the frickin world! They're huge snobs and the best to them ARE Mercedes, BMW and Campagnolo. They love euro and american stuff and are very elitist about their toys.

I'm not going into Campy vs. Shimano AGAIN. Someone posted a link to a great comparison article-maybe on this thread. Read it, test both and see what you think.

Campy is NOT more expensive than Shimano. They are within dollars of each other- every group down the line.
Old 07-24-03, 08:14 AM
peloton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Flaneur
You are an heroically intemperate person and I am honoured to have joined the ranks of those insulted by you
I don't recall insulting you, actually. I'm sorry if you felt insulted. Are you, by the way, a reader of Walter Benjamin?

-bet whoever owns your shop doesn't let you near the paying customers, mind......
I deal mostly with our teams and higher-end customers, when I deal with customers. I work in the pit and I do most of the ordering and employee management.

Let me summarise your view. Any problems with Campagnolo stuff are down to operator/set-up error. Shimano stuff is of inferior quality and harder to work on.
Not at all. Shimano components have some design flaws right across the line that make them harder to work on, and they are designed to not be serviceable. When you pooch an Ultegra shifter, you replace it, you don't fix it. You can't even get spare parts for repair.

On the other hand, Shimano components work rather well, if it's what you're used to, and they have a couple of advantages over Campagnolo that, for some people, outweighs the disadvantages. Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105 are good groups. They are not better than the comparable Campagnolo groups, and they're not a hell of a lot worse.

Around here, though, price is not an advantage, so you have to chose between Campy's more positive shifting, square taper BB, serviceability and longevity, and Shimano's product availability and octalink BB spline.

Unlike you, I live in a country where Campagnolo is still a premium priced product. Are you suggesting that Shimano is the over-priced competitor in your market? If so, how do you sell any Shimano at that price, relative to the competition?
I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. In fact, I see Shimano as more of a Microsoft-type company. It has the leverage to hang its components on more bikes as OEM, and it produces in much higher volumes than Campagnolo. It makes good, workable stuff that does pretty much what advertised, even if it sometimes achieves it though a technological kludge.

OEM Shimano is sold at a much lower margin and cost than OEM Campagnolo in Asia. Since most bikes are made in Asia, it is cheaper for a Specialized or a Giant to equip a Shimano bike than a Campagnolo bike. Sold as cpomplete groups in the US, though, the prices are pretty much the same.
I was commenting on the reluctance of cyclists to challenge the myth that is Campagnolo. I didn't comment on Shimano stuff at all but some of the mythology surrounds that company also. It's a duopoly and if what they're selling isn't appropriate for your needs, then it's your fault, your problem. I think the apologetic tone of some of my fellow contributors and your contrastingly- and characteristically- scathing remarks, make my point admirably.

What myth? They are two companies that make similar products that function differently. I personally prefer Campagnolo. I've actually had experience with both lines since the mid-80s.

I just read back to see if I made any "characteristically" scathing remarks about Shimano and, in fact, I did not. You have a fine imagination. What I said was that your contention that Campagnolo products cost more than Shimano components was false, and that, in some areas, Campagnolo components are better than Shimano components at the equivalent level. Hardly scathing. I find it hard to believe that you are such a loyalist of SHimano that you would take considered criticism (mild criticism at that!) as a scathing attack!

Further down the ranges is where better value for money is available, I believe.
That is true of both companies. There is very little functionality in Dura Ace or Chorus that you can't get in Ultegra or Centaur.

What is your role in this equation? To slap down the inexperienced, ridicule the dissenter and reify the latest marketing tweak?

To be honest, not. I don't like selling CF handlebars and cranks, even to our sponsored racers. We did not order any Sora-equipped bikes this year because the quality is complete garbage, but we do sell a fair volume of Tiagra and 105 bikes. If someone comes in and wants to buy a good bike, I'll show him what we have. If he names a Dura Ace/Chorus price range, I'll show him what we have. In fact, our sales staff is not on commission for the express reason that we don't want them to oversell our customers. I don't sell by group, but by need and price point.

And, in case you're wondering, I'm actually quite suspicious of the latest marketing "tweak."

My role is to sell quality bikes to out clientele.

At that point, Campy hoods and Shimano hoods are just places where your hands rest on the bars........My argument is that for $950 this stuff should be fool- proof, not open to your learned pronouncements. Modern gearing is OK but it ain't no paradigm shift, except in marketing terms. It wears out, goes out of sync, chains get dropped (in Tour Prologues). Plus ca change. Pity is, when people buy the wrong stuff for their needs, or the stuff doesn't perform as advertised, they beat themselves up- and guys like you help 'em out.
The point, my dear flaneur, is that neither Campy nor Shimano components are foolproof at any price point. Moreover, my "learned pronouncements" boil down to "I prefer using and servicing Campy stuff, but both lines have advantages and disadvantages," despite whatever efforts you make to put words in my mouth.

What I was responding to was your baldfaced lie that the value of Campagnolo was only in its prestige value and that it is a "bit temperamental and requires a higher degree of finesse to use." The point that I made, despite your efforts to twist my comments, was that, they work about the same, and that Shimano does not have a value advantage over Campagnolo.

I responded because I have had experience using and servicing both for about two decades, and I believe that some readers here could benefit from that experience, as opposed to your unfounded surmises.
Old 07-24-03, 08:18 AM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez racerx, I guess it's a good thing there aren't any Japanese members of this forum. They might have taken some offense to that. Now where is that little smiley face that gives people the bird?
Old 07-24-03, 01:02 PM
RacerX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There ARE japanese members on this forum. And calling it like it is- saying the Japanese are just like everyone else and also accurately portraying their society (class structured) isn't offensive.
What is offensive is perpetuating stereotypes and "myths" about people- whether you think they are good or not, doesn't make them less offensive.
Old 07-25-03, 08:28 AM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by RacerX
There ARE japanese members on this forum. And calling it like it is- saying the Japanese are just like everyone else and also accurately portraying their society (class structured) isn't offensive.
Yeah, that was sarcasm racerx. I would assume there probably are Japanese folks on this forum. I have Japanese people in my family, which was part of why I personally found your comments offensive, and I don't think the term "they are huge snobs" is something that most Japanese will agree is a fair assessment of their culture. That is roughly the equivalent of saying...well, you can figure it out.

What is offensive is perpetuating stereotypes and "myths" about people- whether you think they are good or not, doesn't make them less offensive.
You just perpetuated a stereotype, claimed it wasn't offensive, and then said perpetuating stereotypes is offensive. Which one is it? I'm not losing sleep over your comments or anything, I'm just calling you on a poor choice of words. If you can't see that it was inappropriate, that isn't my problem.
Old 07-25-03, 03:06 PM
2Boxers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, but why do you "want" to like Campy? You like what works for you and that is OK. By the way I use Campy and do not have a problem w/ it, but Shimano does seem to be more "userfriendly".
Old 07-26-03, 01:19 AM
Merckxrider

Bikes: 2004 Team SC, 2003 Eddy Merckx Leader, 1991 Yo Eddy Team Fat Chance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have to agree that Campy is somewhat finicky. I run Chorus on my bike and have also experienced trouble getting into the big ring. I made some adjustments and now I get into the big ring no problem, but when I try to go back down to the small ring, the FD spits it right off on the inside and I have to stop and reload the chain. I know it's just a matter of fine tuning, so I'm not too concerned. Overall, shifting Campy does require coordination. I have STI Shimano shifting on my MTB, which any moron could shift with ease. I'd compare the two set-ups as one would compare an automatic car transmission vs. a manual one. It takes skill to use the manual, but it's a lot more fun IMHO.

Steve