Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

forced to pack heat???

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

forced to pack heat???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 07:29 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
forced to pack heat???

I started my new job a couple months ago down town. Before this job I would NEVER go down town. Normally I get off at 6:00p, but the other night i got stuck working with a customer until 8:00p. I was excited to do a night ride because I enjoy riding in the night, plus i have new lights that i like to play with.

The bike rack is in the back of the bulilding right across the street from the greyhound bus station. There are plenty of homeless walking around during the day, but man, they really come out at night! There were six scarry looking guys standing right next to my bike. they were being loud and carrying on. at 6'3'' and 260 lbs I do not normally get intimidated easily. BUT i was intimidated. a couple started talking to me, and even though i was polite, it was obvious that they were being asses. I unlocked my bike and rode off without incident, but it was a very scarry situation. then three blocks down the street i went through a particularly dark spot and saw several young men hanging out on the side of the street. of course when i rode by they all stopped talking and kinda stared me down.

So, I need to be better prepared. I keep wondering "what if" I certainly am not going to stop riding my bike. I figure when i get out late like that i can always ask building security to walk me out to my bike (i must admit, i will feel a little pathedic asking for this) but the guys on the street is a little different. what if they stepped into the street into my path and told me to stop? What would i have done?

I would never carry a gun. That is just me. So, maybe i should stop at the local gun shop and buy some pepper spray? does anyone else carry pepper spray? If so, where do you put it as your riding? do you clip it to your pants? (i do not have any pockets in my cycling clothing)

thanks,

Mike
Old 08-29-06, 07:33 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ride in the middle of the street, like a car, get some bright head lights, park indoors, and ride fast.

Pepper spray won't do much against a bunch of hobos, especially if its windy. There's something that's a lot more noticable under a street lamp at night than a gun...

Old 08-29-06, 07:36 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a variety of things. Most importantly the ability to sprint @ 30mph for two blocks at the drop of a hat. Just remember that violent street scenarios are very dynamic and that no single option will work even most of the time.
Personally:
1) Avoid trouble in the first place
2) Run from trouble
3) Fight all out, tooth and nail, until the bad guy(s) stop or die.
I NEVER cooperate.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-29-06, 07:37 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha! i should have known you would be the first to reply slovid! being that you are a NYC man, and I am just a floridian!!!!
Old 08-29-06, 07:38 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well... I know the feeling. I have lived all my life in college towns and middle-class suburbs and now I am in the DC suburbs, in an area that is very racially and economically diverse. Sometimes I get that scared feeling around homeless people and rowdy young men that you're describing, where it feels like they're testing you to see if they can @#$(*& with you.

I haven't had any actual problems so far. I find the best thing to do is to be totally confident. If someone's harrassing me, I try to look them straight in the eye, don't flinch, and then ride or walk off without hurrying. I'm a friendly-looking skinny guy, so not too tough looking. Learning to act assertive in that kind of sketchy urban situation is really helpful.
Old 08-29-06, 07:44 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
See if you can park indoors. Explain the reason to whomever it is that matters (building people, boss, etc).
Old 08-29-06, 07:48 PM
moxfyre

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mechBgon
See if you can park indoors. Explain the reason to whomever it is that matters (building people, boss, etc).
+1

Also, you may wish to acquire a painfully bright nearby-supernova-type rear light such as mechBgon has... I imagine that thing could blind any thugs dumb enough to chase after you
Old 08-29-06, 07:56 PM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Ride in the middle of the street, like a car, get some bright head lights, park indoors, and ride fast.

Pepper spray won't do much against a bunch of hobos, especially if its windy. There's something that's a lot more noticable under a street lamp at night than a gun...

+1 for using my favorite weapon
Old 08-29-06, 07:58 PM
betes

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always feel a little better when I have my Surefire on me at night. In the event of being approached by a shady character, I could try and shine it in his eyes, then run.
Old 08-29-06, 08:02 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if possible, get to know your people in the 'hood. it's your place too!
i feel that i have a link to the "homeless" as a bicycle tourest (in a way) and have connections to that group.
gangsters wanna be. chose an alternate route, or talk with them (in smallest grouping), then check your gut feelings. follow your feelings!
be safe,
t
Old 08-29-06, 08:08 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discretion is the Better Part of Valor. I would forget the bike, back into the building as soon as I saw the loonies, and call a cab company.
Old 08-29-06, 08:36 PM
humbug

Bikes: surly cross-check, specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
very racially and economically diverse.
why don't you just say it?
Old 08-29-06, 08:44 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by humbug
why don't you just say it?
What should I "just say"?

This is a very diverse area. We've got white people, black people, hispanic people, asian people, etc around here. There are lots of Hispanic and African immigrants, especially Mexicans, Nigerians, and Ethiopians. The area I live in--just outside the Beltway--is a mix of Hispanic immigrants, middle-class black and white families, and country people who drive pickup trucks, talk southern, and seem to resent the encroachment of the yuppies.
Old 08-29-06, 09:04 PM
8200rpm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I get that scared feeling around homeless people and rowdy young men.
Are any of these people you're scared of white? C'mon tell the truth.
Old 08-29-06, 09:09 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps you're projecting your own predjudices here. Let's face it: there are significant cultural differences across racial lines. That doesn't make any individual any more or less dangerous. It does affect most folks' perception of it. Knowing it doesn't make someone racist, just a realist. PC suburbanites rarely understand the difference.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-29-06, 09:13 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'll be packing... HEAT!

Old 08-29-06, 09:13 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8200rpm
Are any of these people you're scared of white? C'mon tell the truth.
Yes, some of them are white. I avoid the most convenient liquor store because of the drunk white guys who hang out there and seem to hate cyclists.
Originally Posted by CastIron
Perhaps you're projecting your own predjudices here. Let's face it: there are significant cultural differences across racial lines. That doesn't make any individual any more or less dangerous. It does affect most folks' perception of it. Knowing it doesn't make someone racist, just a realist. PC suburbanites rarely understand the difference.
I don't think it's prejudiced of me to be wary of groups of young men loitering around at night... regardless of their race or ethnicity.
Old 08-29-06, 09:16 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mcavana
The bike rack is in the back of the bulilding right across the street from the greyhound bus station.
This sounds like a lousy place to lock your bike. Keep in mind, you can lock up to anything longer than it is wide, so try to find something out front of the building, brightly lit, that gets a good amount of traffic. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but there are some on this forum who think you can only lock up to bike racks, and not light poles, stop signs, etcetera, and I'd hate to see you get hurt or your bike get stolen because you thought you absolutely had to use the rack that your company put in a badly-lit, deserted Crackville.

Oh, and I have carried a piece before when I used to get off work with a lot of cash at 3 AM every night in a bad neighborhood, because it wasn't unheard of for people to get mugged, including some of my coworkers. Now, my situation dictates I carry pepper mace with me every time I ride, for unruly dogs and road-ragers. There will be a ton of hippies and Canadians post now who want to call me a troglodyte for trying to protect myself, but do what works for you, and makes you feel safe. Oh, and don't feel like a wuss if you want security to walk you out, that's what they get paid to do.
Old 08-29-06, 09:22 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride fast, don't stop and learn how to swing a u-lock while moving.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 08-29-06, 09:23 PM
8200rpm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it's prejudiced of me to be wary of groups of young men loitering around at night... regardless of their race or ethnicity.
What if they were women??? See. You're a sexist!
Old 08-29-06, 09:40 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8200rpm
What if they were women??? See. You're a sexist!
Touché I don't meet too many agressive women who look like they could kick my ass unarmed, so I don't worry about 'em. If that makes me sexist, so be it.
Old 08-29-06, 09:48 PM
Akadis

Bikes: Schwinn, National, Tassie Cycle, Avanti, Standish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
I carry a variety of things. Most importantly the ability to sprint @ 30mph for two blocks at the drop of a hat. Just remember that violent street scenarios are very dynamic and that no single option will work even most of the time.
Personally:
1) Avoid trouble in the first place
2) Run from trouble
3) Fight all out, tooth and nail, until the bad guy(s) stop or die.
I NEVER cooperate.
Way to go! Another quote: "Treat everybody with courtesy and respect, be nice to nobody".

Last edited by Akadis; 08-29-06 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 10:11 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m**********r in the room, accept no substitutes.
Old 08-29-06, 11:01 PM
humbug

Bikes: surly cross-check, specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the DC suburbs, in an area that is very racially and economically diverse. Sometimes I get that scared feeling
Old 08-29-06, 11:07 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Whatever. Just let it go. Sheesh. Let's not turn this into a big P.C. debate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.