Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did something I've never done before on my ride today-I SCREAMED at a motorist

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did something I've never done before on my ride today-I SCREAMED at a motorist

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 03:21 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find nothing gets an oblivious driver's (or pedestrian's...) attention like me screaming.

I don't get aggressive with dumb drivers after the fact. I have kids to feed and a wife to go home to. But I find I have to ride defensively around here and my voice is the second best weapon I have to keep myself safe. (My brain being #1.) Part of it is just the noise level of NYC in general but I find it really helps me avoid problems.

Granted I haven't ridden too many places outside of NYC but I think screaming is a useful urban riding tool.
Old 08-31-06, 03:26 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavisClydesdale
To put it another way, for every 100,000 people in Canada, you have roughly .5 homicides with firearms. For every 100,000 people in the US, you have roughly 4.3 homicides with firearms. More than Canada? Yes. Very violent? no.
dude, I'm just using your numbers...

That is a factor of 9:1. If our stomach cancer rate was 9 times that of the average Canuck, we would all be drinking bottled water from Montreal.
Old 08-31-06, 03:29 PM
DavisClydesdale
Clydesdale

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Bergamo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone

That is a factor of 9:1. If our stomach cancer rate was 9 times that of the average Canuck, we would all be drinking bottled water from Montreal.
You are right. From the report I am reading, their numbers are screwed. Maybe I am reading it wrong. Well, even if we take the 9:1 ratio, 4.3 per 100,000 still wouldn't be considered very violent in my book.
Old 08-31-06, 03:33 PM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an idiot. I chase people down. I did just this last weekend. Two high schoolers didn't move over to pass my wife who was behind me. The passenger yelled and scared her off the road. I chased the bastards down. They had no idea I was coming, but I caught them in traffic. Window was still down and I yelled at them "if you'd caused my wife to have an accident, I'd have personally beat the s--- out of you." Needless to say, I scared them more than they scared my wife. Some pedestrians called the police. An officer showed up and was trying to make contact with them since the pedestrian got the plate.

Similar thing last year, chased a car down, yelled, took down the plate, and I called the police. Since I work at city hall, I told the cops to just call and scare them straight. Hope it works.

However, I'm not big on standing by and doing nothing, it does nothing to discourage them from attempting it again, if I get the police involved, then there's a chance these fools won't attempt it again.
Old 08-31-06, 03:35 PM
DavisClydesdale
Clydesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I figured this thing out. It comes from the Canadian coalition for gun control.

Homicides per 100,000:
Canada 1.83
US 6.62
Ratio US:Canada 3.6:1

% of those homicides with firearms:
Canada 27.3%
US 66%
Ratio US:Canada 2.4:1

(That is what confused me. It is that if you are going to be killed, in the US, you are 2.4 times more likely to be killed with a gun, as opposed to being bludgeoned with a bat or something)
Old 08-31-06, 03:40 PM
MoreHills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only yelled at one to where they could hear it. Couple of months ago a guy in a F250 rollback tow-truck was headed right into my lane. Middle of nowhere, on a country road. He should have started paying attention as a stop sign was coming up in 200ft. I think he lives around there so he knows the area. Anyway comes into my lane and is headed right for me and the yard and ditch next to me. I yelled "hey god%&#$ it!" He'd doing maybe 15mph. Got a stupid wave for my efforts to wake him up. Thanks for the wave. You almost killed me stupid.
Old 08-31-06, 03:57 PM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 years? Amazing self control Hip. I usually make myself feel better by saying it in a conversational voice to myself, but yes, every now and then you just have to let it out!
Old 08-31-06, 04:09 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I figured this thing out. It comes from the Canadian coalition for gun control.

Homicides per 100,000:
Canada 1.83
US 6.62
Ratio US:Canada 3.6:1

% of those homicides with firearms:
Canada 27.3%
US 66%
Ratio US:Canada 2.4:1

(That is what confused me. It is that if you are going to be killed, in the US, you are 2.4 times more likely to be killed with a gun, as opposed to being bludgeoned with a bat or something)
So Canada has .49959 gun homicides per 100,000
US has 4.3692 gun homicides per 100,000.

That is damn close to 9:1.

Or put another way, every Yankee game this year will see two fans shot to death within 12 months. You would have to go to four Blue Jays games to find just one victim.

(Now, if you could ensure that it was only the damn Red Sox fans who were getting shot...)
Old 08-31-06, 04:57 PM
DavisClydesdale
Clydesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would have to go to four Blue Jays games to find just one victim.
But in that same span, you would see three people done in by other means.
Old 08-31-06, 05:05 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
As for the horn-blowing/squeeze play - a full water bottle can be thrown quite accurately in those circumstances, and makes a satisfying smack upon a car's side panel. Just be prepared to back it up (I recommend martial arts experience and/or cop-strength pepper spray).

I recommend falling to the ground, grabbing your knee, and yelling for a lawyer!
Old 08-31-06, 05:07 PM
Golf XRay Tango
Lurker extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you go to four Blue Jays games, chances are you'd be bored to death. :-)
Old 08-31-06, 05:08 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
No way would I yell at someone when I lived in the US. The chance that you would run across a stressed-out gun owner is very high, and this **** happens every single day.

He got his, I got mine, and I practice, A LOT!
Old 08-31-06, 05:11 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pico
The worst was a sport biker who snuck up on me while I was descending Mt Palomar at ~40mph then gunned it right before he passed me. I just don't see how they think it's funny when they could potentially cause serious injury.

HAve pity, the poor guy can't figure out how to pedal.
Old 08-31-06, 05:15 PM
Bearonabike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
8,000 deaths. 58,000 shootings. every year.

Break down thiose stats. That includes domestic violence, suicides by gun, etc. The figure for actual ADW is much lower.
Old 08-31-06, 05:21 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead Roman
He looked me right in the eye and stopped, and then about 15 feet from him he went ahead and pulled out in front of me.
Why the hell do people do this? I hate that.

2 days ago I was coming up to a 4-way stop. It's a busy one, so I'm very careful there. I was at least 1/10th of a mile back from the sign and a car ahead on the left was stopped. The car had plenty of time to go without even coming close to cutting me off. I don't know what it was doing. I slowly made my way to the sign, trying to make it obvious that I was going to stop and the car could go ahead and go. Well, the car kept sitting there, so I figured maybe someone was in there looking for something, yelling at kids, or who knows what. As soon as I got about 5 feet from the sign the lady in the car looked right at me and took off.

What is that crap?
Old 08-31-06, 05:53 PM
DavisClydesdale
Clydesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Golf XRay Tango
If you go to four Blue Jays games, chances are you'd be bored to death. :-)
Best post in this thread so far!

So, the baseball analogy is a great analogy. Statistically, two people should be shot to death at every Yankee'sl game, but to my knowledge, none have been. Why is that? The homicide statistics, by and large, are a product of bad areas, and people who carry out acts against other specific targets. Random acts of violence against bystanders, and road rage type incidents, are pretty rare, especially if you get outside of the major metro areas.
Old 08-31-06, 06:07 PM
dangerman
late braker

Bikes: eddy merckx majestic ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week, two kids in a ricer buzzed me going at least 60 on my street two houses down from mine. The passenger reached out and touched me. I was on my beater beach cruiser which doesn't really hold a line that well. If I had dodged a pothole or flinched even, it could have taken this kids arm off.

I really have no idea what makes people do stupid stuff like that. The story about the guy in the porsche really made my blood boil. I've seen that so many times.

My new tool in the cager war is the cell phone camera. Its always in my jersey pocket, and its set up to shoot in less than a second.
Old 08-31-06, 06:25 PM
Ill Mitch
Fast and Danger

Bikes: A bunch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really bothers me when drivers flip out and try to run you over when they have their kids in the car with them.

I was passing a streetcar a couple of weeks ago and drivers always seem to like to violently pass streetcars at ridiculous speeds so I was riding in the middle of the lane so they could see me.

As I was doing this some lady in her SUV came up behind me and started honking her horn and yelling at me out her window to "get off the fuçking road". She was right on my ass, inches from my rear wheel. I look back at her and give her the "WTF" look, and she keeps on laying on the horn.

So we pass the streetcar and she floors it by me and as she passes I give her a look and give the passenger side door a good punch, and I notice a baby in the back seat and an 8 or so year old in the passenger seat. I catch up with them at the next light as they're making a right turn and this crazy womans 8 year old daughter is giving me the finger out her window!

That womans driving is a terrible example for her kids, fuçkin crazy drivers.
Old 08-31-06, 09:56 PM
kill.cactus
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten honked at only several times as I usually yield for cars and let them pass by getting to the far right (when it is safe). Also, I usually bike around Ann Arbor which is really biker friendly. However, if I was ever followed while in a bike lane, I would so love to dangerously swerve into the guy's lane and freak him out. Of course I'd never do it, but I mean you can always dream *sigh*.

I'm a smile and wave kinda guy
Old 08-31-06, 11:01 PM
Lonan
OCP Trainee

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ultimate Solution

I find that chasing down and confronting the offending driver only leads to more trouble. Physical violence, shouting matches and possibly worse.
I handle it this was.
I note the time, the location, their plate number and both their vehicle and personal description.

Nothing beats the look on their face when I show up the next day at their home...in uniform on duty...and write them a citation after explaining that I was the one they almost killed on the road the day before.
I advise them that I would be more than pleased if they would like to take it to court where I will describe their actions in detail to a judge, who at his descretion, can and most probably will fine them up to $500.
Funny thing..no one ever has contested a ticket in court.
I'm doin' my part
Old 09-01-06, 12:45 AM
jimx200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ill Mitch
It really bothers me when drivers flip out and try to run you over when they have their kids in the car with them.

I was passing a streetcar a couple of weeks ago and drivers always seem to like to violently pass streetcars at ridiculous speeds so I was riding in the middle of the lane so they could see me.

As I was doing this some lady in her SUV came up behind me and started honking her horn and yelling at me out her window to "get off the fuçking road". She was right on my ass, inches from my rear wheel. I look back at her and give her the "WTF" look, and she keeps on laying on the horn.

So we pass the streetcar and she floors it by me and as she passes I give her a look and give the passenger side door a good punch, and I notice a baby in the back seat and an 8 or so year old in the passenger seat. I catch up with them at the next light as they're making a right turn and this crazy womans 8 year old daughter is giving me the finger out her window!

That womans driving is a terrible example for her kids, fuçkin crazy drivers.
How frikking pathetic that a 8 y.o. knows about flipping the bird. Ahh, just like mommy! Wait until she turns 15, probably be a demented, out of control kid with a major anger issue...just like mommy. Some people should just not have kids.
Old 09-01-06, 07:57 AM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimx200
How frikking pathetic that a 8 y.o. knows about flipping the bird. Ahh, just like mommy! Wait until she turns 15, probably be a demented, out of control kid with a major anger issue...just like mommy. Some people should just not have kids.
In Brooklyn you learn it right after "Cows go moo."
Old 09-01-06, 08:08 AM
DavisClydesdale
Clydesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimx200
Wait until she turns 15, probably be a demented, out of control kid with a major anger issue...just like mommy.
She will probably be a mommy by then.
Old 09-01-06, 08:20 AM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the baseball analogy is a great analogy. Statistically, two people should be shot to death at every Yankee'sl game, but to my knowledge, none have been. Why is that?
No. Two people of the 50,000 in the crowd will (statistically -- assuming randomness and all those other caveats...) Two will be shot over the course of a year. Not in the ~four hours of a game.

<snip> My bad... <snip>

Not for nothing, but if I had to choose between being murdered by gun or by baseball bat, I'd go gun. Especially the way the Blue Jays are hitting. That would be one slow death...
Old 09-01-06, 08:23 AM
Blaireau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ekimeno
Riding in London is a nightmare, but it shouldn't be because cyclists have as much right as cars do.

I don't think I've got through a day without screaming at some stupid car-driving a$$hle.
+1
[/QUOTE]My standard response is "Look where the f*** you're going, you c***"[/QUOTE]

+2

[/QUOTE]The worst of the lot usually get a nice phlegm ball hawked up and spat on one of their windows. [/QUOTE]

+3
[/QUOTE]Someone I know sometimes sneaks up behind the car and opens one of the back doors...then quickly rides away.[/QUOTE]

+ 1, 000 000 !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.