Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cracked braze-on

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cracked braze-on

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 12:46 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cracked braze-on

So I've had a crack in my front derailleur braze-on for a while now. I ignored it for the most part as a cosmetic flaw because it didn't seem like it had any impact on shifting. however recently i developed some major shifting problems - no matter what i did it would not shift into the big ring (tweaking the adjuster barrel, tweaking the limit screws). so i took it to the bike shop, and the guy there told me that what's happening is that the derailleur is flexing the derailleur mount when i try to shift because of the crack. he said that it's a warranty issue, and that most likely the frame will be completely replaced. talk about an achilles heel! so now the specialized rep is gonna come over to my LBS and look my bike over. They guy seems pretty convinced they're gonna give me a new frame. He said I'll have to shell out the dough to have it taken apart and reassembled. But $70 is nothing for a brand new frame!

Basically, I wanted to let you guys know just in case you have similar issues. Don't ignore anything, cuz there just might be a free bike in it for you somewhere!
Old 09-24-03, 09:31 PM
ockey53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess a quick fix for that is to get a clamp on front der., that way you can still ride around until you need to switch it. What would freaking sweet if they give you a new frame!!! Of course $70 is worth it!!!

Good luck man.

-Dan the Man-
Old 09-24-03, 09:40 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the thing is you can't fit the clamp on without cutting off/sanding down the braze on. i considered doing that, until the bike shop dude told me i can probably get it fixed under warranty.
Old 09-24-03, 10:02 PM
ockey53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the braze ons, but I didn't know they were that close. I wouldn't touch it then, no sanding or cutting that.... I wouldn't think warrantee would cover cutting it off with a diamond-bladed tile cutter.

-Dan the Man-
Old 09-25-03, 03:26 AM
Richard D
Donating member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the fault is a warranty issue, why are they charging you for the rebuild?
Old 09-25-03, 04:23 AM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I agree with Richard. If it is a warranty issue Specialized should cover the cost of any rebuild.
Old 09-30-03, 02:16 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the reason specialized won't cover the cost of the rebuild is because the breaking off the braze-on option is free, if i want to go that route.

i talked to the guy at my LBS today, and he told me that Specialized will replace my 2000 Allez comp frame with the 2003 Allez PRO frame! This is the top-of-the-line Allez frame - with Columbus SLX tubing. Basically, I will need to get a new stem (my last one was 1") new cables and housing, and a clamp for the front derailleur. my bike won't be half as sexy looking as the one in the link below (I have ultegra and cane creek aerohead team's), but still, i am one happy camper!!

https://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...yo5tg6k.j27003
Old 09-30-03, 02:46 PM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shops are not always reimbursed for their time by the bike companies when warranty claims come through. If you bought the bike there, I'm surprised they won't switch your parts over for free anyway, especially if you're going to buy the new stuff you need from them. But, it's not mandatory and I wouldn't expect a shop to do it for free.

It would be a great opportunity to learn about how a bike goes together, though, if you did it yourself.
Old 09-30-03, 03:41 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did not buy my bike there... i bought it in a different state, and i moved here recently... that's why i wouldn't expect them to do it for free

i would put together the bike myself if i could, but they will not allow me to because specialized requires that the bike shop assemble it for warranty reasons.

as i said though... $100 or so for a $1000 frame is not bad, in my opinion!
Old 10-01-03, 08:46 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got the right attitude about it, that's for sure. Hope you dig the new frame.
Old 10-01-03, 09:41 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The language of a bike frame warranty is pretty much the same from one brand to another, and they are all pretty specifiic about the FRAME being the covered item. All labor for disassembly, reassembly, and replacement of misc items that won't fit the new frame are always the owner's responsibility, and an authorized dealer of the brand in question MUST do the work. Now, I suppose if the model in question was only available as a frameset, there might be some room for negotiation on doing the stripdown and assembly yourself, with the dealer doing a post assembly inspection. However, any parts that need to be upgraded (integrated headsets, different seatpost sizes, etc) would still be out of the owner's wallet.
Old 10-07-03, 07:16 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here are pics of my new ride!! i haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, as the sun was setting by the time I got home (stupid fall!!) i'll take it for a spin tomorrow, and tell you how it goes!

Last edited by deliriou5; 10-07-03 at 07:50 PM.