Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ball Bearings in Hex Bolts to prevent theft

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ball Bearings in Hex Bolts to prevent theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 02:43 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah.. you can lock on to it with the specially machined socket wrench that came with it

Originally Posted by na975
i still think you can lock on to it somehow.
Old 02-28-07, 03:11 PM
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pitlocks have come into the shop when people have lost thier keys. You can get them off with normal hand tools. It's not the most convenient thing in the world to do, but it's doable.
Old 02-28-07, 03:19 PM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How'd you do it AfterThisNap? I can think of one destructive way (dremel flats in, then twist it with a vise-grip).
Old 02-28-07, 03:58 PM
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mander
How'd you do it AfterThisNap?
Dominican slave wage laborers.
Old 03-01-07, 08:41 AM
Urbanbiketech
PITLOCK Shop

Bikes: Soma Wolverine 3.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by na975
i still think you can lock on to it somehow.
The outer housing spins freely so vice grips are no use. If you could find a very fine needlenose vice-grip, you might be able to get into the housing and grab the nut, but my guess is that it would slip off before you could generate enough torque to spin the bevelled nut up off the locking tabs behind it.

As for power tools (dremel) or big mean tools like hammers and chisels, you can pretty much steal anything if you have some time and a bit of privacy and don't mind doing a bunch of damage.
Old 03-01-07, 08:51 AM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, we've heard the dealer's opinion... I'm more curious to hear ATN's side of the story aka truth. Don't disclose the details... How much time does it take and is there any damage to anything apart from the skewer? Just curious, not interested in buying or destroying one.
Old 03-01-07, 11:39 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah ATN I don't believe in security through obscurity but please be non-specific if you have to. I'm interested in what you guys discovered too.
Old 03-01-07, 12:11 PM
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammer, tool steel awl. < 15 minutes.

Jeeze, y'all. It's just a fancy nut.

I stopped worrying. A year of locking my bike in NYC and nothing has been stolen yet. Even if it did, I wouldn't care that much. I think the headache and worry of missing parts isn't worth the replacement cost.
Take necessary precautions, but start questioning the practicality of your ride/location when you're dropping more than 100 dollars on a set of locking skewers.
Old 03-01-07, 12:48 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was about to say that requiring a hammer and 10+minutes is pretty damn good performance from a product, but... for 100+ dollars???!!! That's uncomfortably close to the price of a pretty decent (for me) wheelset.
Old 03-01-07, 01:29 PM
bombusben
Ðây la`xe Ðạp của tôi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One could cut thru the track ends and fork with a small hand tool to steal a set of wheels without much of a problem. Probably in less time than it would take using a wrench on a standard set of track nuts. If locking skewers make you feel better, more power to you, but these types of things usually keep honest people honest as they say.
Old 03-01-07, 01:56 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think with enough time and tools anything can be lifted.

I think the goal of these is to prevent thefts of opportunity. Walking by and undoing a quick release or carrying a wrench to undo axel nuts is a whole lot easier than hacking a frame or nut or a lock apart.
Old 03-01-07, 07:56 PM
StankApe

Bikes: norco vfr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Superglue ball bearing in, remove with acetone
Old 03-01-07, 08:24 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StankApe
have you actually done that, or is this rhetoric
Old 03-01-07, 08:40 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's science
Old 03-02-07, 04:14 AM
dresscode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the pitlock system, there actually exists an extra made professional lockpick for these. It's a bit hard to describe, think shifter cable housing: a circle of small but very strong steel bolts which you insert into the pitlock. Then there's a ratchet mechanism with which you start to widen the circle formed by the bolt endings inside the pitlock. They will naturally assume the same form as the pitlock is. You widen it until everythings really tight, then turn: Viola!
Old 03-02-07, 09:16 AM
Ceya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jserse
how would you insert that ceya?

first crazy glue , then ball bearing, the a little foil over it , smash down foil. the glue again.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 03-02-07, 09:30 AM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i cover bolt heads with solder, a thin layer of superglue and then i usually use a sharpie to color it black. it's surprisingly durable and it's easy to desolder it with a soldering iron. the solder forms a shiny uniform cap

i suppose a thief could try to desolder it with a lighter if they figured out that it was solder, but that's not exactly a crime of opportunity.
Old 09-18-17, 10:51 AM
bf_user

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankApe
have you actually done that, or is this rhetoric
I've tried to dissolve Super Glue with acetone without much success. Reference materials state that both Ethyl- and Methyl-Cyanoacrylate are soluble in acetone but to what degree isn't clear. You could also try Toluene or MEK (or if you have some Nitromethane just laying around the works on Methyl-Cyanoacrylate)

Machinists use Cyanoacrylate (Super glue, Crazy glue) to hold down certain types of parts while milling. It does a great job as long as the surfaces are clean and the gap between materials is minimal. For instance, one could hold a FLAT plate of aluminum down for face machining by gluing it to a FLAT part of a cast iron table. When the machine work is done heat is applied and the Cyanoacrylate fails thereby releasing the part. The important thing here is that the parts have to match very closely as Cyanoacrylate doesn't fill gaps well. Even 1mm is too much for a proper bond if working to recommendation.

To get around the issue manufacturers have created formulas that include dissolved fillers. I'd post links but I'm new here and the forum won't let me. Ask the Googles for 'gap filling cyanoacrylate' and you'll find options available where you live. I've used products from Bob Smith Industries (sold on Amazon) with good results.

So, if you thoroughly clean oils, waxes, and dirt from a fastener first, a BB can be glued in to deter a would be thief. Then when service is needed you can apply heat (a small butane torch) and remove the BB with a strong magnet.

I've never done this on a bike but have used the BB + CA trick elsewhere. As others have said it's not perfect but might be the difference between theft or not. Another thing to consider when doing it on a bike is what heat from a torch will do to the surrounding parts (bearings, powder coated, painted, rubberized parts, etc.).

Good luck.
Old 09-18-17, 11:49 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bf_user
I've tried to dissolve Super Glue with acetone without much success. Reference materials state that both Ethyl- and Methyl-Cyanoacrylate are soluble in acetone but to what degree isn't clear. You could also try Toluene or MEK (or if you have some Nitromethane just laying around the works on Methyl-Cyanoacrylate)

Machinists use Cyanoacrylate (Super glue, Crazy glue) to hold down certain types of parts while milling. It does a great job as long as the surfaces are clean and the gap between materials is minimal. For instance, one could hold a FLAT plate of aluminum down for face machining by gluing it to a FLAT part of a cast iron table. When the machine work is done heat is applied and the Cyanoacrylate fails thereby releasing the part. The important thing here is that the parts have to match very closely as Cyanoacrylate doesn't fill gaps well. Even 1mm is too much for a proper bond if working to recommendation.

To get around the issue manufacturers have created formulas that include dissolved fillers. I'd post links but I'm new here and the forum won't let me. Ask the Googles for 'gap filling cyanoacrylate' and you'll find options available where you live. I've used products from Bob Smith Industries (sold on Amazon) with good results.

So, if you thoroughly clean oils, waxes, and dirt from a fastener first, a BB can be glued in to deter a would be thief. Then when service is needed you can apply heat (a small butane torch) and remove the BB with a strong magnet.

I've never done this on a bike but have used the BB + CA trick elsewhere. As others have said it's not perfect but might be the difference between theft or not. Another thing to consider when doing it on a bike is what heat from a torch will do to the surrounding parts (bearings, powder coated, painted, rubberized parts, etc.).

Good luck.

Ten years since that post. That member hasn't logged on for four years. Pretty close to a record necrobump.
Old 09-18-17, 12:02 PM
bf_user

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Ten years since that post. That member hasn't logged on for four years. Pretty close to a record necrobump.
Close to a record? I'll try harder next time; I want a trophy!

Meh, age of the thread makes no difference to me if the information is still relevant to my (and other's) interests. It's not like I added to a thread discussing the original iPhone launch or the failure of Lehman Brothers. Glue is still glue and people still rip off bikes.
Old 09-18-17, 12:06 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bf_user
Close to a record? I'll try harder next time; I want a trophy!

Meh, age of the thread makes no difference to me if the information is still relevant to my (and other's) interests. It's not like I added to a thread discussing the original iPhone launch or the failure of Lehman Brothers. Glue is still glue and people still rip off bikes.

Gonna have to dig deeper man. I saw a 14 year old zombie a couple weeks ago. And a 15 year old in the mechanics forum. You have strong competitors.
Old 09-18-17, 01:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm glad it was resurrected because I really like this...

Originally Posted by Hocam
And realize that material cravings are a cause of suffering, then reflect on this thought daily to no longer form attachments with impermanent things.

-Tim-
Old 09-18-17, 07:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Since we're on the topic... I noticed that McMaster-Carr has metric hex aluminum rod for cheap. A little piece of it, peened in with a center punch, might keep the lazy thief away, but could be removed at home with an easy-out.
Old 09-19-17, 08:39 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm glad it was resurrected because I really like this...

And realize that material cravings are a cause of suffering, then reflect on this thought daily to no longer form attachments with impermanent things.

OOOOOOHHHHHHMMMMM

-Tim-
In case you didn't already know - that is pretty much the 2nd and 3rd Noble Truths of Buddhism...
Old 09-19-17, 09:52 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts

OOOOOOHHHHHHMMMMM

Taking steps to lessen the chance of others stealing your stuff is not necessarily a sign of "material craving" or an attachment with impermanent things.

We ourselves are also impermanent things, so there's that too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.