Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love it...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 07:25 PM
here and there

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...when you discover another route. I'm already avoiding a 2.5 mile downhill section with a narrow bike lane, tight corners, traffic going 50+mph, and a tricky merge into the left hand lane, by using neighborhood streets. I'm on the brakes more, the bike lanes are in the door zone (when there are bike lanes), and there is a short but very very steep hill to deal with, but it's a million times more comfortable than the first option.

Then today it occurs to me that I can avoid another nasty section of traffic by using a MUT. I would completely avoid the worst traffic, but I would have to deal with pedestrians, a dirty/dusty bike, and a longer/slower commute. Then again I have no rush to get home, I avoid traffic that makes me uncomfortable, and the scenery on the MUT (think dirt trails and lots of trees) is much nicer.
Old 03-15-07, 07:42 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A MUT? Just how will a dog help you riding a bike in a nasty section of traffic?
Old 03-15-07, 11:51 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's great! I recently found a route that has VERY light traffic, is somewhat scenic, and nicely lengthens my ride. Utterly surprising, and utterly welcome.
Old 03-16-07, 07:48 AM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think MUT is left coast-ese for MUP
Old 03-16-07, 08:10 AM
le brad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a new route too. Really steep hill for like 2 or 3 blocks and then really steep downhill for the next 15 blocks. Takes 10 - 15 minutes off the ride.
Old 03-16-07, 08:26 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coincidence... I used a new route yesterday on the way home and it was great !

>> click here to see pics of what I found on my new route ! <<
Old 03-16-07, 01:01 PM
here and there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylandnewbie
I think MUT is left coast-ese for MUP
I've always thought of it this way:

MUP = multi-use path (paved)

MUT = multi-use trail (unpaved)

The "new" route I discovered is definantly unpaved. Most of it is a very fine, hard packed gravel, but there are plenty of spots with loose, powdery dirt. I think I'm in the market for some semi-slicks now.

Last edited by here and there; 03-16-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 01:07 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by here and there
...when you discover another route. I'm already avoiding a 2.5 mile downhill section with a narrow bike lane, tight corners, traffic going 50+mph, and a tricky merge into the left hand lane, by using neighborhood streets. I'm on the brakes more, the bike lanes are in the door zone (when there are bike lanes), and there is a short but very very steep hill to deal with, but it's a million times more comfortable than the first option.

Then today it occurs to me that I can avoid another nasty section of traffic by using a MUT. I would completely avoid the worst traffic, but I would have to deal with pedestrians, a dirty/dusty bike, and a longer/slower commute. Then again I have no rush to get home, I avoid traffic that makes me uncomfortable, and the scenery on the MUT (think dirt trails and lots of trees) is much nicer.
I call these things, wormholes.
Old 03-16-07, 01:18 PM
here and there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by le brad
I found a new route too. Really steep hill for like 2 or 3 blocks and then really steep downhill for the next 15 blocks. Takes 10 - 15 minutes off the ride.
That's not bad.

The great thing about the first leg of my commute is that it's mostly downhill. I'm braking every few blocks, but for about 2 miles I don't have to pedal at all. Unfortunantly the last leg of the commute is up and down and culminates with a short steep hill at the very end as I get home. I've tried avoiding that hill, but no matter which road I take to get home, there will be a hill to climb so I picked the shortest one.
Old 03-16-07, 01:22 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I have a direct route that is 4 kilometers, pretty much down on the way to the office, up on the way back. I go that way when I just want to get there or back.

I have other routes that are the long way, very fun - along rivers and countryside - sometimes with pavement to enjoy. These tend to be between 10 and 20 kilometers. Enjoyable without being epic.

We almost don't have roads out here - so I will admit, I don't have a lot of choices.
Old 03-16-07, 05:05 PM
G. Bucci

Bikes: Two Fishers and one Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much have a direct route also but two weeks ago found a quieter route that is 5km longer but is sooooo much more enjoyable.

I'm not sure if it's because it's new or safer but I really do enjoy it.

Stay upright

Winnipeg, Canada
Old 03-16-07, 06:33 PM
Jacobi
Navy Recruiter

Bikes: Trek VRX 300; Scott Speedster S2; Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone should be using google earth! Every weekend before I do my rides, I hop onto google earth and pick a route. The best part is that I can run my cursor over the roads and it shows the elevation, that way I know what I'm up against.
Old 03-16-07, 08:16 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They closed the MUP I used to take for some major rework (regrading and repaving). So instead I had to find a new path. I printed out a topo + street map (luckily I work for a GIS company) and found the flattest, least heavily trafficked route through a bunch of neighborhoods. It's actually a very nice commute, really shows off the difference between modern suburbs (where I used to live) and old suburbs (where I live now). Much smaller roads, much less traffic, tree-lined roads... Plus eventually I'll be able to go back to the MUP (which is only half the route anyway, the other half'll still be in neighborhoods). I'm glad I moved .