Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More Landis news

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More Landis news

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 11:21 AM
Step Down

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rotten Bastard
[Off Topic]I agree. They're generally nice people, will go out of their way to help you out when you need a hand, and are hardworking. They also seem to really appreciate artists. I've drawn simple little doodles for people there and they just got the biggest kick out of it. They're just not into fake, insincere camaraderie, which makes a lot of people think they're unfriendly. [/Off Topic]
Hardworking?

full-time workers in France are guaranteed BY LAW at least five weeks vacation per year, work maximum 35-hour work week which gives them 22 more day off per year if you compair it to 40hr US work week.

PLUS

France leads all nations with 39 national public holidays per year; we have 12 in the U.S of our employers count Columbus and Veterns days.

The French may work hard "when" they are working but "when" are they working? . Viva la France!!! I need to move and quit putting in 55 hour weeks and taking the crap around here. OUT.................

steppy
Old 05-17-07, 12:21 PM
Trevor98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
?? Are hematocrit levels not tested?
Hematocrit is indeed testable and limited by the UCI to a 50% level. However, a high hematocrit level does not specifically indicate any form of doping but rather it shows a dangerous blood chemistry that the UCI states is unsafe for athletic participation. Any cyclist with a hematocrit level over that limit is disallowed from participation for a number of weeks but is not charged with doping- regardless of the cause of that violation (unless the cyclist has an abnormally high level naturally).

Because it is not particularly rare for an athlete to have a natural level over that arbitrary 50% (normal is between ~38%-46%) and many more cyclist can surpass that limit through legal means (altitude training or tents) using hematocrit levels to assume any type of doping is just moronic. A high hematocrit level can simply mean a high hematocrit level and nothing more.

It is my belief that the hematocrit level limiting has probably reduced doping in cycling far more than any other single decision any authority has made. Because it is not punitive but preventative and it doesn't matter how a rider surpasses that level and the penalty is two weeks suspension cyclists and team management are highly motivated to test under that level at all times. Some may argue that diluting a riders circulatory system with a saline IV can lower the hematocrit level some and pass the test but the relatively low hematocrit limit keeps the violation in check in check far more than easily circumvented drug testing for each specific drug (HGH?)

It is very easy for many athletes to surpass the arbitrary 50% hematocrit limit with completely legal technics that come with far less risk to the teams profitability than illegal means of achieving the same hematocrit level- especially considering the non-testing types of doping busts (OP). However, this only applies to hematocrit boosting types of cheating.
Old 05-17-07, 12:32 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Down
Hardworking?

full-time workers in France are guaranteed BY LAW at least five weeks vacation per year, work maximum 35-hour work week which gives them 22 more day off per year if you compair it to 40hr US work week.

PLUS

France leads all nations with 39 national public holidays per year; we have 12 in the U.S of our employers count Columbus and Veterns days.

The French may work hard "when" they are working but "when" are they working? . Viva la France!!! I need to move and quit putting in 55 hour weeks and taking the crap around here. OUT.................

steppy
It's like that almost everywhere. Americans work more hours a year than any other 1st world country on earth. Labour laws are still skewed heavily in favour of the employer in America.
Old 05-17-07, 01:11 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDub
Also, he is still apart of cycling, he owns a part of Team Discovery, ergo, if he doped, its plausible he's helping current Discovery riders how to beat the system.
Hang on there hoss. Bjarne Riis says we should look at things from the past...only look forward. He also owns a top Pro Tour team and also pretty for sure was a doper. No one is yanking his TdF win or pointing fingers at his team...even though 2 of his riders...one of those his top rider...are implicated in Puerto.

I don't believe for a milisecond that Riis didn't play a roll or at least know about Basso's doping.
Old 05-17-07, 01:12 PM
Demit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually the US is seventh.

Originally Posted by Flak
It's like that almost everywhere. Americans work more hours a year than any other 1st world country on earth. Labour laws are still skewed heavily in favour of the employer in America.
Old 05-17-07, 01:17 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? Got a link to the list?
Old 05-17-07, 01:33 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
But a direct test of what? That he took *something* that was metabolized into testosterone. For that to work you have to assume that all T-terminal metabolites are banned substances.

Further, the isotope test has never been applied to a large population - too expensive. If it were, then we'd have some idea of the frequency of false positives. At this point we just don't know.

A fair question on the Epi. Could be that we don't know what affects Epi, or that the discussion is too dry to fly in the arena of public opinion. As to their tactics, see below.

Simultaneous argument is not just a tactic, it is a required legal practice. All potential arguments must be made early in the case or you lose the ability to bring them up later. Thus you often see: "1) The defendant didn't throw the paint bomb. 2) The paint was easy to remove so the plaintiff wasn't harmed."

What they are doing now is arguing that the test evidence is worthless due to the protocol violations (e.g. chain of custody), hoping that if it's thrown out they won't have to address its validity at all. Again, standard legal procedure.

That all depends on how USADA handles the case. If USADA doesn't agree that the test evidence is inadmissible, then Floyd will appeal to DoJ or the courts (not sure what the appeals route is) which are much more likely to agree with him.

The real danger here for the sport is that if the case gets into the US courts, the European agencies will have to choose whether to respect the decisions of those courts. What if the test results are thrown out (I think there's a good chance of that)? Will ASO ignore the finding and pull his TdF win anyway? Can you just hear the firestorm from that?
DMF - I'm with you up to the end. Why do you think a U.S. Court would claim to have jurisdiction? I can see there being an appeal, but not to the DOJ.
Old 05-17-07, 02:05 PM
Trevor98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Landis may have multiple avenues of appeal. First is the offical route of CAS which will can (in)validate the decision in true appeal fashion.

Secondly, there is the civil court system in every jurisdiction involved. The most plausable and Landis-friendly system would appear to be that of California's (he is a resident). Their ability to make decisions on this case would most likely come from the fact that this is, at base, an employment issue. Landis' ability to work in his field is based on the outcome of this hearing. California has particularly protective worker's rights laws and USADA would be stupid to chance violation of those protections. Additionally, California's tort system is notoriously generous in awards given. Theoretically, Landis could sue and win in court more money than the USADA's budget of quite a few years.

Additionally, he make take this tactic regardless of the outcome of the hearing as the whole case has harmed his earnings potential and his legal fees are monumental. Another target of such legal manuvering may be Pound himself due to his outragous comments throughout the investigtion.

As for jurisdiciton, courts have an amazing ability to figure out which cases they have juridiction in. They also decide which cases have merit and which do not to the bafflement of many. There is no real way to predict with absolute accuracy which cases will go all the way and which won't. Some real questionable cases have become case law that should have never seen the inside of a court room.

I do really agree with DMF that contradictory legal decisions in this case could stress the inherently weak international laws on employment and sport. I doubt very much that much national political attention would be spent on such a minor issue as the future of Landis- national governments have bigger issues to consider.
Old 05-18-07, 01:12 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lance sucks.
Old 05-18-07, 01:46 AM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Lance sucks.
I knew that you were a Lance Bass groupie, thanks for telling us what we already knew.
Old 05-18-07, 02:50 AM
Prince9931

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What line of recourse would the average fan of cycling have for someone that they have a suspicion of some type of doping?
Old 05-18-07, 02:51 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer
I recall a case from motorcycle racing, either the 500cc moto gp or world superbike (2000 or 2001). The rider was Noriyuka Haga who tested positive for Ephedrine, a banned substance. He swore he never took it yet the tests were positive. Turned out it got in his system from some herbal tea he had been drinking regularly. Another rider got a different substance from the over the counter eye drops he used to keep his contacts from drying out (it wasn't listed on the label).

Point is, not all banned substances are intentionally and purposefully taken by athletes. I don't know if this applies to Landis' case, has anyone looked into it. With the amount of stuff they put in foods and animals these days is it possible it happened by chance?
Herbal tea, testosterone patches, tea bags.....something very fishy going on here (or down there).
Old 05-18-07, 02:54 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor98
...I think you all are legally morons and thus should be ignored here- prove to me otherwise. ...
Secondly, a list of drug findings for 20 notable riders out of thousands of their contemporaries over several decades is pointless and irrelevant. Not guilty does not mean not doping it simply means that we don't know. Assuming that "Not Guilty" is the opposite of guilty is moronic. This limited list is far too selective and far too flawed to draw any real conclusions....
I'm sorry but I've already published the list, there is absolutely nothing we can do now :

1) Armstrong - Not Guilty
2) Basso - Guilty
3) Landis - Guilty
4) Ullrich - Guilty
5) Millar - Guilty
6) Valverde - ?
7) Rumsas - Guilty
8) Pereiro - ?
9) Hamilton - Guilty
10) Frigo – Guilty
11) Vandenbrouke – Guilty
12) Musseuw – Guilty
13) Simoni - ?
14) Garzelli - ?
15) Cunego - Not Guilty
16) Lemond - Not Guilty
17) Hinault - Not Guilty
18) FIgnon - Not Guilty
19) Merxkx - Not Guilty
20) Vlaeminck - Not Guilty
Old 05-18-07, 06:33 PM
bellweatherman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rufvelo
I'm sorry but I've already published the list, there is absolutely nothing we can do now :

1) Armstrong - Not Guilty
2) Basso - Guilty
3) Landis - Guilty
4) Ullrich - Guilty
5) Millar - Guilty
6) Valverde - ?
7) Rumsas - Guilty
8) Pereiro - ?
9) Hamilton - Guilty
10) Frigo – Guilty
11) Vandenbrouke – Guilty
12) Musseuw – Guilty
13) Simoni - ?
14) Garzelli - ?
15) Cunego - Not Guilty
16) Lemond - Not Guilty
17) Hinault - Not Guilty
18) FIgnon - Not Guilty
19) Merxkx - Not Guilty
20) Vlaeminck - Not Guilty

Lance is more guilty than either Basso or Ulrich, both of whom have never tested positive. Lance did test positive. Not just for hard work as the joke goes, but for EPO and another masking agent.
Old 05-18-07, 06:43 PM
Trevor98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is Armstrong more guilty? Guilt is binary- you either are or are not. We could argue about partial guilt but that is still guilty but less culpable.
Old 05-18-07, 06:59 PM
Rotten Bastard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Step Down
Hardworking?

PLUS

steppy
I don't want to hijack this thread too far off topic, but the 35-hour work week is just a technical thing they tried, in an effort to lower unemployment. I've been to Paris 8 times and spent a total of 6-7 weeks over the years, and everywhere around the city you'll find people plugging away at their jobs, blue collar or white. My French friends work 10-hour days at their offices, and often eat lunch at their desks. Culturally, they do place a high value on good living, but the image of French people sitting around in cafes all day is just a stereotype.
Old 05-19-07, 03:52 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Lance did test positive.
He did? Care to fill us in?

- Will Rogers
Old 05-19-07, 04:03 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
He did? Care to fill us in?
Someone went back and tested one of his samples from his first Tour win (1999), and it came up positive for EPO. However, it was rife with...you guessed it...procedural incompetence and a blatant disregard for protocol.
Old 05-19-07, 04:11 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, that was the one where an independent auditor recommended that WADA fire the lab and a few personnel. Also, as I recall, that it couldn't be established that it was LA's sample in the first place. That couldn't even be called a test, much less a "positive" one.

bellhead, please try not to misrepresent facts. It's likely to get you on Ignore lists.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-19-07, 04:11 PM
Trouduc
NTM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rog
Someone went back and tested one of his samples from his first Tour win (1999), and it came up positive for EPO. However, it was rife with...you guessed it...procedural incompetence and a blatant disregard for protocol.

The sample from Lance's 99 Tour de France did test positive for EPO, however, there was no "B" sample. Therefore, technically, Lance Armstrong is clean. Its pretty sad that few in the media have mentioned this little tidbid. Basically, Lance is as clean as a mobster acquitted on procedural issues.
Old 05-19-07, 04:16 PM
Trouduc
NTM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor98
How is Armstrong more guilty? Guilt is binary- you either are or are not. We could argue about partial guilt but that is still guilty but less culpable.

Of course not. There are degrees of guilt. Our whole justice system is predicated on that. Do we really have to go through this?! Means Rea, etc... First degree, second degree, etc....
Old 05-19-07, 06:02 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garzelli was tossed from the 2002 Giro and banned for 2 years, he should be marked as guilty..

Fingon in an interview I read in cyclesport some years ago said in regards to doping "I did what I had to do, if I die before I turn 50, thats my business" so he should have an asterik

Merckx failed tests as well.

Simoni tested positive for cocaine.

I had a similiar list going for World Champions a year ago or so on here.. same result.. Almost everyone a doper
Old 05-19-07, 07:32 PM
bellweatherman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trouduc
The sample from Lance's 99 Tour de France did test positive for EPO, however, there was no "B" sample. Therefore, technically, Lance Armstrong is clean. Its pretty sad that few in the media have mentioned this little tidbid. Basically, Lance is as clean as a mobster acquitted on procedural issues.

Yep, Lance tested positive. For hard work? Uh, yeah whatever. For EPO. He got off on a technicality and threw a bunch of misinformation about lab protocols that his supporters believed. He is far more guilty than Ulrich, Basso, and the other riders in the Operacion Puerto investigation who, BTW, did not test positive. Ever. Lance did.
Old 05-19-07, 07:48 PM
Trevor98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trouduc
Of course not. There are degrees of guilt. Our whole justice system is predicated on that. Do we really have to go through this?! Means Rea, etc... First degree, second degree, etc....
That is not degrees of guilt but severity of a crime- yes I'm quibbling but guilt is binary logic. Stating that "[Armstrong] is more guilty than either Basso or Ulrich" is absurd. They either doped or didn't- regardless of who got caught or who got off. Right now none of them has been proven guilty (yet) so not one of them is more guilty than the others.

How can one more guilty than the others?
Old 05-19-07, 07:58 PM
mutantdunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a 51% hematocrit when I was in my 20's. I just had alot of red cells. Now my crit is in the 40's. I'm 47 now. I really haven't measured it lately though (I work in a hospital lab).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.